Pwnd2Pwnr

I remember watching my Uncle Jeff (now Aunt Jennifer...for real) show me how to get free phone calls when I was around 7 (1991, ahhh... I don't feel so old now) at a payphone from around the corner (If you kids don;t know what a payphone is... it wouldn't surprise me) with help from a little guide called the Anarchy Cookbook (it would be years until I read it per betum). But, it wouldn't be long until I got us free cable and my mom would be furious when she found out HOW it was done. Nevertheless, she got me my first HP desktop and was pwning; and for that matter, got pwned; on AOL. Does everyone remember their first hack?

im a bit younger, (im only 29) and i got my first computer in the early-to-mid 90's but what really got me interested in tech was when a friend of mine's dad was sitting in his basement, he was playing Quake. it looked like fun, so he set me and my friend up on 2 computers and we played a free-for-all the three of us. he obviously owned us, but i wondered how he got the computers to work together like that. i didnt understand how that was done. i asked him to show me, and he did the "high level explanation" basically telling me that this box and these wires talk and let us talk to eachother. this made me curious, so i started reading about networking, and the way the internet works.

when i got a little older, and i was on my own computer i started to want to see traffic and know how ot works, so i picked up a few books, and started poking with some of the older protocols, the names excape me atm, and i started to learn how to redirect people to go places i wanted them to go (spoofing, as you will) and i kept sending my sister from her AOL to random flash sites, like newgrouds and the such, and i found it fun. now im a network security engeneer, and i still have fun, all in the name of research.

My first real tech experience came when I was five. I was at a local Compu-Serve. Long story short, paper clip in a light socket, and an entire store with bricked PCs. LOL... even though I don't remember anything for about 3 months after that (apparently I was in the hospital awhile). I think that is what made me realize, "Things are made, things can be broken, things can be fixed, things can be altered."...

• 3 weeks later...

When I was 9 my family bought their first computer. It was the late 80's and we got a used 386 with 1 whole Mb of extended RAM. It came with DOS 4.2 and my parent's didn't have the slightest clue how to use the thing so they gave it to me and went back to the electric typewriter. I had a bunch of fun teaching myself DOS by just sitting there and asking, "I wonder what this does?"....type type type...."oh it does that." The fun ended when I wondered what fdisk did....

My first hack was to overclock an AMD 486 CPU to give me the same performance as a Pentium 75 back in the early 90's. That was goodtimes.

I lost interest in computers when Windows 95 came out and the command line was mostly removed (at least the consumer editions). I only got back to tinkering when I finally put my hands on a linux distro and found the CLI again.

Believe it or not the first Mechwarrior game was the first thing that actually got me into tech; not quite sure how a game made me get into technology but I remember it being a definite factor.

When I was 9 my family bought their first computer. It was the late 80's and we got a used 386 with 1 whole Mb of extended RAM. It came with DOS 4.2 and my parent's didn't have the slightest clue how to use the thing so they gave it to me and went back to the electric typewriter. I had a bunch of fun teaching myself DOS by just sitting there and asking, "I wonder what this does?"....type type type...."oh it does that." The fun ended when I wondered what fdisk did....

My first hack was to overclock an AMD 486 CPU to give me the same performance as a Pentium 75 back in the early 90's. That was goodtimes.

I lost interest in computers when Windows 95 came out and the command line was mostly removed (at least the consumer editions). I only got back to tinkering when I finally put my hands on a linux distro and found the CLI again.

uuuggghhh if good video games didn't require windows to play properly i would have never touched windows in the 90's, i feel your pain!

I do remember my first hack. I used a Tool called NetBus - via wackamole.exe had good times sending people to random pron sites - opening CD roms drives - playing sounds... nothing too evil :)

Oh yeah, I remember that tool, I was pretty hooked into it, when I first heard about it.

Then I heard about Cain and Abel, through a friend in high school.

I remember watching my Uncle Jeff (now Aunt Jennifer...for real) show me how to get free phone calls when I was around 7.

I was 10 yrs old when I started to use paper clips to get free phone calls, and I remember going to a local electronic store to get a mic that would plug into a hand held tape recorder so I could record the tones quarters would make. Wow that really takes me back. My first hack was war dialing for a few hours for days on end before I actually got modem breath. It was the modem of a local library that wasn't password protected. I snooped around for a bit but all I could really get access to at the time was an employee BBS that had menus for lunch and schedules. For years I would randomly call that number from a lan line just to see if it was still active. After broadband DSL started the phone number stayed active for a bout a year before it went dead. To this day I still remember the number.

I just loved fixing computers, and making them do cool stuff. I built my first PC when I was 15, so I could play PC games (wasn't the best built PC, but I was proud of what I done). I was also foolish enough to try and overclock the 130W processor in the small mid-tower case.

I got into hacking when I figured out how to crack the WEP encryption to Wi-Fi networks, and when my high school's web filter became overzealous. I would like to show people how stay safer on Wi-Fi (or any wireless medium, where the physical layer can be easily attacked), get around the rather obstructive web filters and monitors (it can interfere with research at school, and is unfortunately used by regimes overseas), and simply how to stay safe online.

Back in high school, if you propelled a nickel into the slot of a payphone, you could get free local calls. Yes, you got the nickel back. At a washeteria, if you put a dollar into the change machine and then pressed the cancel button at just the right time, you could get your dollar back and the change too. First real hack was when I had just lost my job from a finance company (no big loss). Part of my former job was to pull credit bureaus on a sort of teletype machine that used an acoustic coupler. Got the manual for that unit with a listing of the ascii codes. I took my C=64 and developed the code I needed to log into the CB. My former employer was not smart enough to change the password. Logged in without a problem, then logged off immediately. Just doing that was revenge enough. Did not pull anyone's personal information. "Man has to know his limitations" fractured quote from a Clint Eastwood movie.

Edited by justapeon

Well, if we're waxin' nostalgic...

When I was 10 I got my first AOL account. A few months later I heard about AOHell and downloaded it. Many laughs were had at the expense of innocent chat rooms full of 1990s chumps. Soon after I too stumbled upon Netbus...again many laughs were had, this time at the expense of my parents (we had two computers that I networked). Not too long after that it was lan parties and overclocking celeron 566's to 850mhz with a gorb (golden orb) for laughs and profit. I like to think that I've been doin for teh lulz long before it was cool - ha!

telot

Well, if we're waxin' nostalgic...

When I was 10 I got my first AOL account. A few months later I heard about AOHell and downloaded it. Many laughs were had at the expense of innocent chat rooms full of 1990s chumps. Soon after I too stumbled upon Netbus...again many laughs were had, this time at the expense of my parents (we had two computers that I networked). Not too long after that it was lan parties and overclocking celeron 566's to 850mhz with a gorb (golden orb) for laughs and profit. I like to think that I've been doin for teh lulz long before it was cool - ha!

telot

Punters, Progs, the good ol days