Anker Astro3 10000 Mah

pizzafries

Hello all, 

I understand hak5 store will be releasing a new battery pack with dual outputs very soon. Also as there are high costs associated with having to use ups instead of usps to ship out internationally until Jan 2013. Given the high shipping costs I've been looking locally at buying the anker astro3 10000mah to battery power following: 

-MkIV,

-USB hub, 

-4gb usb, 

-3G dongle, 

-possibly a alfa awus036nhr in the future when or if openwrt will have supported drivers.

Is there any feedback, caveats, downsides to the anker astro3 10000mah?? I've read it could fry the mkIV if I plug into he wrong output...

Thank you,

Pizza fries 

Wouldnt it be best to use the 5v usb over the 9v for the pineapple as it allows more power. 2.1A over the 9v 2.0A

Frm anker website: Output 2*USB 5V/2.1A DC9V/12V 2A

two reasons first 5 volts in the pineapple gets regulated to 5 volts but that regulator takes about 1 volt and your actually running on around 4 +-

second 12 volts at 2 amps converted to 5 volts would end up giving you a lot more than 2 amps, I don't have the math on me right now

Petertfm and Neworld are correct, it is much better to use 9v for the pineapple. I can tell you that there is less energy wasted (as heat) the closer you get to 5v input on the pineapple however there is loss in the regulator and to be stable the 9v option is the best. That is not to say it wouldn't work from the USB port but with the 9v/12v option why wouldn't you?

Lastly if you actually had a need for 2A on any of the voltages you did something wrong =)

12v @ 2A = 24 watts

9v @ 2A = 18 watts

5v @ 2.1A = 10.5 watts

I can tell you that the pineapple uses less than 1 watt with the wireless on....so really its a mute point as far as usability

I'm using a battery pack from DX.com with 2 5v usb ports. I'm feeding the pineapple 5v, and my powered usb hub also backfeeds the pineaple.

So I'm just wondering if it would harm the pineapple in any way to run on 5v form the main power, AND beeing backfeed trough the usb port?

I understand that running the pineapple on JUST the backffeed from the hub would possibly damage it though..

I'm using a battery pack from DX.com with 2 5v usb ports. I'm feeding the pineapple 5v, and my powered usb hub also backfeeds the pineaple.

So I'm just wondering if it would harm the pineapple in any way to run on 5v form the main power, AND beeing backfeed trough the usb port?

I understand that running the pineapple on JUST the backffeed from the hub would possibly damage it though..

YES! THIS WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS!

I recently shorted out my Alfa and a usb flash drive because of this. Be cautious.

Really?

Did you feed the pineapple 5v in both its "head and bottom"? ;)

I thought it would be ok when I'm feeding the pineapple 5v in the main power AND the backfeed from the hub..

I'd say it is a bad idea.... but no, it wasn't with the pineapple, it was with a usb hub.

Okey. So basically I should try to modify my USB hub to NOT backfeed power. My hub is a Belkin USB 2.0 hub 4 port. Anyone got any tips on modifying USB hubs?

(sorry this might be off topic)

I recommend this usb hub:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-+4-Port+USB+2.0+Powered+Hub/2389094.p;jsessionid=05911AC89C830F758B05E765587EE4D7.bbolsp-app03-10?id=1218324435232&skuId=2389094

Or you could snip the power wires on your usb cable and leave the data cables.

Thanks for your link, but I think I'll be using the one that I already have. Hey, there is no phun without a little bit of hackin'. ;)

Would it be correct to snip pin1 in the hub? And would that be enough? Or should I also snip pin4?

Im using the Logik L4THUB10 mains powered hub, it reportedly backfeeds. So I got hold of a spare usb extenstion cable and snipped away the red wire on the extension lead. Now when I use the modifed ext lead it gives no data no nothing :(

green, white and black are all wired ok only red is snipped.

I have just modified the USB plug that connects the Pineapple to the USB hub. Just opened the plug, and pulled out the pin 1(red).

Both the hub, and usb stick + usb interface is working.

Bottomline, you should be good with just removing the red wire. Perhaps you damaged some of the other wires pizzafries?

Cheers Neworld, i've snipped red already and I get nothing no power as expected, and no data aswell...

So snipping black now as its a spare ext lead!! will leave green and white alone.

Will report back shortly... hopefully wont blow my pc, etc, house power :)

Make sure you have a usb hub that gets external power as well, otherwise the devices on the hub won't have power.