First Time Setup Wp4.sh Errors

lester

Just opened up the newly arrived Pineapple and attempting to run setup. Did this as per instructions:

Power the Wifi Pineapple on and directly connect it to the host pc ... done using linux with BT5 and an Ethernet cable.

Download the wp4.sh script ... done. That is, I downloaded it to the BT5 linux laptop which because it's behind a firewall had the issued ip address of 192.168.1.14. Needed to do this to grab the script off the internet.

Then connected pineapple per instructions to laptop, re-issued dhclient and now the linux laptop running bt5 has an ip address of 172.16.42.20

chmod +x wp4.sh. . . done. It is now executable.

run it with sudo ./wp4.sh and getting error:

line 1: syntax error near unexpected token 'newline'

now i'm stuck. . .

you don't issue an ip from the pineapple, if your trying to set up Internet connection sharing try starting fresh and setup the interface that you intend to connect to the internet "wlan0 maybe" first then run the wp4 script

ps make sure wicd is stopped before running the script.

Edited by petertfm

My laptop has one Ethernet slot connection which I believe I must use to connect to the internet via a cable to get the script. So, if that's the case, how can I both connect to the internet using an internet cable to my router and also plug in the pineapple into an Ethernet slot using a cable to the laptop as instructed? I've already grabbed the script then disconnected the cable to the router and reconnected to the pineapple. Ran script. . . same result. . . error message. WICD is not running.

Edited by lester

My laptop has one Ethernet slot connection which I believe I must use to connect to the internet via a cable to get the script. So, if that's the case, how can I both connect to the internet using an internet cable to my router and also plug in the pineapple into an Ethernet slot using a cable to the laptop as instructed? I've already grabbed the script then disconnected the cable to the router and reconnected to the pineapple. Ran script. . . same result. . . error message. WICD is not running.

most use wifi as the internet adapter, you probably could use a usb ethernet adapter.

the wp4.sh script's purpose is to share internet to the pineapple, only having one interface for internet and pineapple fails

a switch might work, don't take my word.

Edited by petertfm

Well no joy. Successfully turned on wifi so the laptop's wlan0 has connectivity to the internet.

Successfully downloaded the wp4.sh script again.

Still getting error when running ./wp4.sh:

./wp4.sh: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token 'newline'

./wp4.sh: line 1: '<html>'

This is not as easy as they make it out to be. On a recently downloaded version of BT5. . .

I would say this is a red alert. I just re-downloaded the file and it's what it is supposed to be. Examining what I downloaded the first time from wifipineapple.com was something totally different with lots of what looks like scary java script in it, which I do not want to upload to this forum. Is there some way for me to send it to you guys to figure out what was that supposed to do? Judging from my very elementary understanding of Javascript, it looks like it's doing nefarious things like renaming files, etc.

I know I downloaded properly the very first time but this wp4.sh file is totally different than what I'm getting now -- better check your servers. Please tell me where I can send the file for examination.

Additionally when I download the upgrade.bin the md5 sums are not the same as those advertised...

The pineapple's upgrade md5sum feature is giving out the wrong MD5sum. It's giving out the MD5Sum for the development version and calling it stable version 2.5.0 in the "Check for Upgrades" box.

Thanks.

Edited by lester

The WP4 file, that is indeed very odd. Please pastebin it and send me a PM with the link.

About the MD5 sums:

The current stable version (2.5.0) MD5 is 045d880620215fa8ae4fdc7826bf0fc8.

Yes. The 2.5.0 development version had the same MD5.

The reason for this is because we simply mark a version which we see as stable.. as stable ;)

Best Regards,

Sebkinne