Network Attached Storage To Take Place Of Usb Memory To Free Up Port?

sober

i dont have a network attached drive to try this, but could we get a network attached drive, partition it the same way as the usb, attach it to a switch that attaches to main unit and pineapple, allowing us to preform a deauth attack WHILE running ssl strip, and logging it to the enhanced storage capacity of the external drive? food for thought as i beleive i saw a post here earlier about utilizing a second pineapple instead.

also wondering if data would be able to be passed back and forth fast enough, pineapple uses rather small amounts of swap/memory usually so i dont THINK it would be a major problem.

Edited by sober

i dont have a network attached drive to try this, but could we get a network attached drive, partition it the same way as the usb, attach it to a switch that attaches to main unit and pineapple, allowing us to preform a deauth attack WHILE running ssl strip, and logging it to the enhanced storage capacity of the external drive? food for thought as i beleive i saw a post here earlier about utilizing a second pineapple instead.

also wondering if data would be able to be passed back and forth fast enough, pineapple uses rather small amounts of swap/memory usually so i dont THINK it would be a major problem.

I beleve this is possible but as for running deauth, sslstrip and tcpdump. I just ran jammer module and started sslstrip and it froze the pineapple. both are resource hogs

Edited by petertfm

then in the very least this could be used so you don't have to replace the adapter with usb to start logging traffic after the deauth attack, it would allow you to deauth any clients in the area to the pineapple, then stop the deauth and instantly start ssl stripping without drawing attention fooling around in your bag/ case, just by managing via phone while all your gear is zipped away.

Wouldn't a USB hub be easier?

probably would, didnt really cross my mind as in my setup im using the usb to power adapter, not the straight up wall plug, and there are quite a few reports of it not supplying enough power reliably, plus the network attached storage device would give you the ability to store quite a bit more.

I've tried sshfs and failed a while ago (you can search the forums for the thread) but Sebkinne has stated it will be in a soon-to-be-released firmware update. Right now you can get Samba working fine, though its far from secure. I too have wanted to do this, as I love to tcpdump all my packets - so I typically throw in a 16 or 32GB card in the usb. Freeing up that USB port for a alfa wifi card PLUS having my 6TB of my server available for tcpdumps would greatly increase the longevity of my deployments.

telot

I use a dd-wrt dlink dir-300 to give me wifi client gateway, while leaving the usb free. Some of these routers have usb host.

That way you could store on a usb, have client gateway, use the pineapple usb with an alpha to do de-auth, all off a couple of usb power packs

Edited by klutz

• 2 weeks later...

I can comfirm that this works... kinda.

My scenario I used the other day was this:

Laptop (Win XP!), MKIV plugged into LAN port - neither laptop or pineapple had internet access.

I created a share via Windows.

While ssh'd into the pineapple, i mounted laptopIP/ShareName as a regular mounted folder on teh pineapple.

Scanning the waves, I was able to successfully, and easily dump data to the share, which I could see and edit on my laptop... aka i was viewing live files on windows.

So yes, you can dump over a share. As for speed, I was much too far from capacity to be able to stress test it, so YMMV