How To Determine If A Torrent Is Safe?

MrJuJube

So I was talking with one of my friends the other day and this topic came up: what do people whom crack the software and then upload on torrent get for all their hard works? Or is there other purpose behind it. Beside torrent is both legal and illegal depend on the content. My question are:

1) what do people get for cracking the software? Did they do it for profit or just for the heck of it?

2) How to determine is a torrent is unsafe/safe?

Thanks

1) what do people get for cracking the software?

Its a good question, and one that I think I can answer. Why to pay for something, when you can have it for free? Financially speaking, its not good for the person who is trying to make a living out of it, but what if someone can't afford buying in the first place.

In that sense, making it available for free of charge, helps those who can't afford to buy it.

2) How to determine is a torrent is unsafe/safe?

Run it inside a VM, if something bad happens than you know its not safe. You could also use an updated antvirus to determine that for you. But sometimes, even the most up to date AV will not be much of a help.

Edited by Infiltrator

1) what do people get for cracking the software? Did they do it for profit or just for the heck of it?

While I'm sure there are those who do it to benefit financially, I'd say the vast majority of reverse engineers do it for the challenge and to be able to say that they did it.

I wish some day I can do reverse engineering too...wanna give back to the torrent community :D

I don't know why, but I always hated programming. And now I recognize the importance of knowing a language. But now its too late.

Edited by Infiltrator