Whats Up With These Forums Going Down Every 10 Minutes?

PineDominator

I am experiencing this problem too. It could be a webhosting issue or they are experiencing issues with moving the forum.

Edited by Infiltrator

Thetra,

You should download the firmware at cloud.wifipineapple.com assuming you mean the wifipineapple firmware.

About the forums, we had moved them to a proper hosting provider recently and they seem to be having some issues. Sadly the offline message still states that the board is being moved.

Sorry about that!

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Why does the phrase "we have moved them to a proper hosting provider" always fill me with dread. Oh yes, because it always seems to be followed by a long period of instability for systems that have historically run fine and don't need much in the way of technical power or maintenance :)

Good luck in getting the stability back to where we can all take it for granted again and let me know if I can help in any way with diagnostics.

Ok, Here is what is up with the forums, DNS.

When I am getting the error message about the forums moving forums.hak5.org resolves to 66.11.227.169, when it is working it resolves to 50.28.75.68.

My suspicion is that the old IP address is still sat in the DNS zone somewhere. Check over you DNS configuration and make sure that it isn't doing a round robin with a working and non working IP address.

Just to make matters worse most local DNS servers will cache the result so users are stuck with the IP address first got till the cache expires, then they get chance to gamble on getting a working IP again.

Ok, Here is what is up with the forums, DNS.

When I am getting the error message about the forums moving forums.hak5.org resolves to 66.11.227.169, when it is working it resolves to 50.28.75.68.

My suspicion is that the old IP address is still sat in the DNS zone somewhere. Check over you DNS configuration and make sure that it isn't doing a round robin with a working and non working IP address.

Just to make matters worse most local DNS servers will cache the result so users are stuck with the IP address first got till the cache expires, then they get chance to gamble on getting a working IP again.

Funny, I just came to the same conclusion.

I sometimes get a cached (and working) copy of the old forums.

Still, this will be fixed shortly.

As I have some spare time I have just done a quick check of what the nameserver available for hak5.org have stored as the record for forums.hak5.org and the duff record seems to be sat on the ns6.zoneedit.co.uk nameserver.

As hinted at by Mr-Protocol and myself previously, until they fix the DNS you can add the following line to your hosts file (/etc/hosts on *nix or C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on windows)

50.28.75.68   forums.hak5.org

Of course you need to remember to remove the line once they have resolved the DNS issues or X years down the line when the forums IP address changes again you won't be able to access it.

Being able to statically defines some host to IP mappings can be very useful when playing with things, it also lets you realise how mad it would be to try to maintain large hosts files over multiple machines and just how useful DNS is.

Its quite annoying sometimes, specially when you are trying to view or reply to a member's post. You have to wait sometime, before the forums get backup and running again.

I haven't thought about doing that, etc/hosts thing, thanks for the suggestion guys.