Installing programs to a thumb drive

kybishop

I realise there are various portable apps, but I was wondering if it's possible to take programs that aren't optimized for thumb drives, and install them to a flash drive anyways.

Example:

My high school uses a crappy compiler, so I want to install my own on to a flash drive.

thanks for the help

Kyle

I realise there are various portable apps, but I was wondering if it's possible to take programs that aren't optimized for thumb drives, and install them to a flash drive anyways.

Example:

My high school uses a crappy compiler, so I want to install my own on to a flash drive.

thanks for the help

Kyle

compiler for what language?

also, it's very easy to install programs to a flash drive, no different to installing it on a hard drive. problems can arise when the programs store configuration data in a different directory or in the registry. it all depends on what program you want.

it's easy to put MinGW on a flash drive (MinGW is a port of GCC so it supports a lot of languages).

A C and C++ compiler

For know I'm thinking of the free bloodshed compiler

right, well Bloodshed only make an IDE (Dev-CPP) which also includes the MinGW compiler. i haven't used that IDE for a while now, but from what i remember, it stored the settings in the programs directory so there should be no issues at all with running that on multiple computers from a flash drive.

i used to have minGW on my flash drive and the only issue i ever had with it was it could be very slow on larger projects.

most programs can be installed on thumb drives without any problems, but i dont think compilers can. Most compilers need to use resources which should be installed on your HARDDRIVE. But i havent tried to run many different compilers on my jumpdrive so im not positive.

I'm interested in applications that run entirely from a USB thumb drive without installing anything on the hard drive or leaving traces (fragments of files, registry changes etc.). I know there are some ideas on the wiki but I don't know of any compiler/linker.

This may help. Your biggest concern is the drive changing letters. You can tell windows to always give a drive a certain drive letter, but that would be a pain to do on every machine. Especially in a school enviroment where you may not get to used the same computer in the lab that you were using before.

I guess you could make a batch script:

subst Z: %CD%

That will create a virtual drive Z that maps to your USB drive, or wherever you called the batch script from.

Then to delete the virtual drive:

subst Z: /D