How do CD copier programs work? (specific quesition inside)

PoyBoy

Ever notice how devices specifically state that a DVD-R or DVD-RW is supported?

Or that when you buy a CD from a new (local) band you can clearly see from the green glow of the data layer and the rather obvious stickered on cover of the disc that it's one of those home-burnt CDs, yet your writer identifies it as a 'real' CD?

Or even with those really GOOD warez DVD packs (winners blah blah blah) that a chunk of the inner ring of the DVD is scratched out?

All of the above is due to sections on the disk that you normally can't write into, or (as I understand it) sections on the disk that you can't prevent your writer from writing to.

If there ever comes a true bit-for-bit copying drive, the Warez crowd will be ALL OVER it. After all, if you can make a truly identical copy, how exactly is the software supposed to know that your disk isn't the original?

Oh, PS. A friend of mine worked on a professional low budget artsy movie (movie studio, crew of 20, the works), and they burned the DVD version of it that they were going to sell themselves, right there in the building on what appeared to be a consumer-grade burner. This friend explained to me that using some special and rather pricy piece of software you can write to the section of the disk that tells the reader if it's the real deal or a DVD-/+R. Sure enough, that disk which he burned right in front of me was identified at home as a 'real' DVD.

Actually, I don't remember.

I've just sent off an email to the guy asking this. He should reply sometime tomorrow.

And yes, I do mean physically scratched out. Through the plastic and into the data bit. These were the "Oh My God, More Games" CDs. Still have, like, the first 8 volumes. That stuff really put meaning to the phrase "Don't ever underestimate the bandwidth of a truck with CDs" (though I think they originally used 'tapes' rather than CDs when they coined it).

Well, guess the program isn't particularly special: Adobe Encore

a) In the authoring process (Adobe Encore) this is a step, the so-called build. You can set up all sorts of things like copy-protected, region codes, etc. Most auth tools have this.

b) 'burn' the DVD first to disk (ISO) and then burn from the ISO.

Oh yeah, and the filesystem wasn't (or maybe it was) UDF. You can build for set-top boxes, etc. That setting does the trick.

So, I donno. Maybe it's something in the filesystem... I honestly haven't a clue.

I believe they don't produce them empty and then burn on the data. They stamp on the data before the bottom sheet of plastic is attached. Because the data layer doesn't need to be writable, they can use different (cheaper) materials.