Anonymity Setup?

Kuroudo Akabane

Ok, so I'm very new to computers and I'm using a HP 110 Mini netbook with the 32bit version of Windows XP Home...

I have about 120GB HDD and 1GB RAM. I have IE and FF as my browsers and FF is my primary choice.

I have the Windows Firewall and Automatic Updates turned on...

What other programs should I instal and why?

And how should I configure them so they don't interfere with each other or my normal internet usage?

Edited by Kuroudo Akabane

I'm confused. Topic is "Anonymity Setup" but you want to know "what programs" to install for what purpose? If you are so "new" to computers, how would you even know how to configure a computer? Your topic and question don't even go together, which is why this one time, I accidentally the whole thing...the whole thing!

I looked at the site, I want to set up the browser so I can use several proxies on a single site at the same time (different accounts)... but where do I get the proxies to put in FoxyProxy... and is that enough to avoid detection? Someone at work was warning me about my packets leaking and being detected.

I'm confused. Topic is "Anonymity Setup" but you want to know "what programs" to install for what purpose?

Yeah, should I use an add-on for Firefox and/or someother program... or a third option?
If you are so "new" to computers, how would you even know how to configure a computer?
Which is why I'm asking how to setup my proxies...

I would use TOR if you want to surf the web anonymously, but I would emphasize that 100% anonymity is not possible, if that's what you are trying to achieve. Also you can use multiple VPNs to tunnel your traffic through, making the tracing back to you difficult. However, you will have to be careful what applications you use, as they could have the potential of revealing your real IP address.

I would use TOR if you want to surf the web anonymously, but I would emphasize that 100% anonymity is not possible, if that's what you are trying to achieve. Also you can use multiple VPNs to tunnel your traffic through, making the tracing back to you difficult. However, you will have to be careful what applications you use, as they could have the potential of revealing your real IP address.
What apps?

What I want is to be able to log on to a forum with more than one account without anyone on the other side being able to know their on the same computer.

What I want is to be able to log on to a forum with more than one account without anyone on the other side being able to know their on the same computer.

Look for web-based proxies, like www.hidemyass.com.

Just a heads up to you, certain forums don't like users trying to access them via a proxy. I say that, because I am a member of another hacking forum, and whenever I try to use TOR or any other proxy, they refuse me to log into my account at all.

Just a heads up to you, certain forums don't like users trying to access them via a proxy. I say that, because I am a member of another hacking forum, and whenever I try to use TOR or any other proxy, they refuse me to log into my account at all.
How can they tell if you're using a proxy?

How can they tell if you're using a proxy?

They could use either a third party service provider or a software running in their network to detect and block when someone is using a VPN or Proxy.

Edit: If you do a search in Google for, how to block proxy servers/users, you will find lots of information on it.

Edited by Infiltrator

They could use either a third party service provider or a software running in their network to detect and block when someone is using a VPN or Proxy.

Edit: If you do a search in Google for, how to block proxy servers/users, you will find lots of information on it.

But they'll only be able to see that I'm using a proxy... bot tell that multiple accounts are the same user, right?

But they'll only be able to see that I'm using a proxy... bot tell that multiple accounts are the same user, right?

In that case, NO they wouldn't be able to tell if you are the same user, since you are using multiple accounts and proxies to appear to be coming from a different location.

However, there's one thing you should be aware of, some proxies will forward IP header information as well, meaning that they could reveal your real IP address, so even if you are using a proxy, to access the forum as a different user, they could block you, because they will see two different users coming from the same IP address.

In that case, NO they wouldn't be able to tell if you are the same user, since you are using multiple accounts and proxies to appear to be coming from a different location.

However, there's one thing you should be aware of, some proxies will forward IP header information as well, meaning that they could reveal your real IP address, so even if you are using a proxy, to access the forum as a different user, they could block you, because they will see two different users coming from the same IP address.

Isn't that the entire point of using a proxy though?

Isn't that the entire point of using a proxy though?

The point of a proxy isn't always for concealing your IP address, proxy servers also have other roles, like for web caching and forwarding requests on behalf of the web clients. So it's always important to check what, proxy you are using, not all proxies are what the seem to be.

There are proxies that are purposely built for spying on users, by sniffing any traffic that goes through. These proxies are also known as honeypot proxies. In my experience, sometimes you are better off with a VPN than a proxy.

Edited by Infiltrator

The point of a proxy isn't always for concealing your IP address, proxy servers also have other roles, like for web caching and forwarding requests on behalf of the web clients. So it's always important to check what, proxy you are using, not all proxies are what the seem to be.

There are proxies that are purposely built for spying on users, by sniffing any traffic that goes through. These proxies are also known as honeypot proxies. In my experience, sometimes you are better off with a VPN than a proxy.

Well I'm pretty bad with computers... what can I do to have multiple accounts not be linked to the same computer/internet connection?

Well I'm pretty bad with computers... what can I do to have multiple accounts not be linked to the same computer/internet connection?

Just use a VPN, there are good VPN services such as nVpn, cyberghostvpn, and the recommended by Hak5 https://www.witopia.net/

Ok, so I'm very new to computers and I'm using a HP 110 Mini netbook with the 32bit version of Windows XP Home...

I have about 120GB HDD and 1GB RAM. I have IE and FF as my browsers and FF is my primary choice.

I have the Windows Firewall and Automatic Updates turned on...

What other programs should I instal and why?

And how should I configure them so they don't interfere with each other or my normal internet usage?

Well, the word proxy, didn't show up until after the link Sitwon sent, so thats why I was like, what is he asking? Makes more sense when
Which is why I'm asking how to setup my proxies...

Ok. things to understand, if you are using the SAME computer, and SAME browser, and SAME cached files, plugins, etc, there are things a site can do, no matter WHAT your IP address shows up as, to track you. Namely, cookies, session data, and Flash Cookies, which are even harder to clear and block, because most people never even think about them. There is also a feature most browsers(and sites can ask for) which is called "persistent data", which is a whole other ball of wax, and most browsers, don't even allow you to disable it. IE does, and I know Opera does, not sure on FF(Might need to go under the hood on it) and Chrome might too.

There are also other ways to identify your system, ie: monitor size, computer name, etc, all data queried via XHTML requests, or even newer HTML5 and XML2 something or other I can't think the name of right now, but a talk was given at BlackHat or Defcon this year, that talks about using that to overwrite firmware on unsuspecting users routers...thats for another topic in itself...anyway

So, you can proxy yourself through 20 proxychains, but if you used the same browser and cached credentials, the site will still know its you!

Now, some browsers implement "private browsing modes" and can also "clear" or "clean" all browsing history, cookies, session data, etc, for every site you use, in a private tab, so say you have two Twitter accounts, and want to log into both at the same time from the same browser. You could use one regular tab to login to one account, and a private tab to log into the second account, since they would each use their own "sessions" and own "cookies" data. They wouldn't however, use different IP addresses, but they would allow you to login to the same site, with two different ID's and I do it all the time for my business accounts on Twitter. I have a personal account, and a business account, and via my browser(depending on what on you use, most these days have a private tab feature) you can use one of each types of tabs to be logged onto the same site, with two different accounts and all cookie and session data will be separate.

Now, if its two different IP's you want, you would need two different browsers, and a proxy, ssh tunnel, or VPN setup in place, with each browser set to use a different connection. Then you could truly use two different IP addresses to access the same site, at the same time, but you would also need two accounts on that same system. If you tried logging in as the same person from two different IP addresses, the second address, depending on the security the site uses, would do one of several things:

1 - Fail, for already being logged in

2 - Log in, and the first account logged out -or-

3 - Log you in from both IP's which, sadly, most sites WILL do, which is the inherent issue with session stealing, and not killing more than one IP on the same user account at the same time. Some sites, are smart enough to set cookies with user IP data, and if they see two different IP's logged on for the same account, they could 1, kill the first or second connection, or 2, suspend the account and then email you that you might have been hacked or had your account breached. Some sites actual do that, but takes the site to be pro-secure and implement this feature and check for it in effect.

Edited by digip

There is also a feature most browsers(and sites can ask for) which is called "persistent data", which is a whole other ball of wax, and most browsers, don't even allow you to disable it. IE does, and I know Opera does, not sure on FF(Might need to go under the hood on it) and Chrome might too.

Chrome has a feature called "Incognito mode"

a) Webpages that you open and files downloaded while you are incognito aren't recorded in your browsing and download histories.

B) All new cookies are deleted after you close all incognito windows that you've opened.

c) Changes made to your Google Chrome bookmarks and general settings while in incognito mode are always saved.

https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95464&p=cpn_incognito

Edited by Infiltrator

So what if I wanted several accounts each with their own IP, etc. but I only use one at a time? And I clear the data before opening a new IP, etc. and logging into the next account on the site?

Would that make anything easier?

Just depends on what it is you are trying to do. I mean, you are kind of beating around the bush about what your true intent is, its a bit confusing, and I get the impression, you wan to be able to post as several different personas, for whatever reason that may be, I don't really need to know why, so much as just come right out and ask what you need/want to do, so people can give you answers. I think my post summed it up pretty well, based on what you've told us so far. I can think of a number of reasons for doing what you ask, both legit, and also for ill gotten gains, like, promoting one persons point of view with supporting replies, etc. Whatever it is, shady or legit, I don't care the reason behind it, it can be done, and if you truly need to, I think we've all given enough answers on how to accomplish it. It has nothing to do with anonymity though as much as it does trying to defraud the system it would seem. Not accusing you of that, or that you have some ulterior motives, but it seems you are sort of hiding your true intent on why you need this in the first place.

Chrome has a feature called "Incognito mode"

a) Webpages that you open and files downloaded while you are incognito aren't recorded in your browsing and download histories.

B) All new cookies are deleted after you close all incognito windows that you've opened.

c) Changes made to your Google Chrome bookmarks and general settings while in incognito mode are always saved.

https://support.goog...p=cpn_incognito

And Chrome has an even better extension called ScriptNo (their version of NoScript from Firefox). A bit of a pain since you have to enable certain sites, otherwise they won't work. But once everything is setup, it's pretty nice.

I would use these two accounts from two different browsers, (firefox and chrome), with both having their ScriptNo/NoScript extensions and running two different proxies. Redundancy is never bad.

Edited by TheGuyWithSticks

Just depends on what it is you are trying to do. I mean, you are kind of beating around the bush about what your true intent is, its a bit confusing, and I get the impression, you wan to be able to post as several different personas, for whatever reason that may be, I don't really need to know why, so much as just come right out and ask what you need/want to do, so people can give you answers. I think my post summed it up pretty well, based on what you've told us so far. I can think of a number of reasons for doing what you ask, both legit, and also for ill gotten gains, like, promoting one persons point of view with supporting replies, etc. Whatever it is, shady or legit, I don't care the reason behind it, it can be done, and if you truly need to, I think we've all given enough answers on how to accomplish it. It has nothing to do with anonymity though as much as it does trying to defraud the system it would seem. Not accusing you of that, or that you have some ulterior motives, but it seems you are sort of hiding your true intent on why you need this in the first place.
All accounts for the site will used from a common computer/account and don't want something posted by Username B to get Username A banned by a Mod or Admin would like them to appear to be two different people on two different computers on two different connections.

Another thing you could do is, if you have a beefed up computer, you could create several virtual machines and install TOR on each one of them. Tor will give you the ability to remain annonimous to a degree, and at the same time, you will be able to accomplish what you want.