Changes To Firmware Releases

Sebkinne

Hello everyone,

We have decided to split the firmware releases into two channels:

• The development channel
    This channel is basically what you know from now. Versioned releases here on the forums and on the website. These releases will however be hidden from the pineapple upgrade UI.
  • The stable channel
    This channel is what you will get access to from the pineapple upgrade UI. Better yet, they are OTA upgrades.

In the end, this means that we will continue to release versions such as 2.4.0 and 2.4.1 to the forum and website. The difference is that once we decide a version is stable (such as 2.4.1) it will get committed to the stable channel. Once this happens, it is available as an OTA upgrade through the pineapple UI.

The reason we have decided to take this step is because it will involve the community more in the development and finding of errors. Then, people outside the community or people who do not frequent the forums will be able to use the new OTA system to get new versions - all of which should be stable.

This now gives users the choice: Do you want to be on the bleeding edge or wait a day or two until we have committed a new firmware to the stable channel?

Please leave any feedback or concerns about this below.

-The Jasager Team

No, the betas will still exists. Although we will make those more open.

They allow for more narrowed down feedback and resolving of issues.

But take 2.4.0 for example. It got tested by a whole bunch of testers but no one realized 3g didn't work until about a day after the release.

2.4.1 fixed it and seems to be running stable. This is the perfect example of why we would like to have the dev channel and the stable channel.

Best,

Sebkinne

Sounds like an amazing idea, and allows some of us new forum lurkers to feed back and help the stable release be...well stable.

Ive been tweaking and changing my pineapple pretty much all day every day, (even at work) and cant get tired of it.

Look forward to trying each release at it comes.

Sawks.

you guys never cease to amaze me...

I just overhauled my working knowledge of these nifty little devices, and boy are they hummin....

Edited by condor

Work on the channels has been completed.

The next firmware will incorporates these changes and will be available as an open (yet limited) beta soon. More info on this later.

You will notice that we have made some changes to the downloads page.

As you can see, the current stable release is available to download from the pineapple while the current (and old) development releases are available to download there.

Very excited about this. Recommend adding MD5 hashes to the older versions of the download page along with change log. Not a high priority since most users should be on the latest version, but nice none the less. Also, the change log is a mile long by now. Looks awesome :)

Very excited about this. Recommend adding MD5 hashes to the older versions of the download page along with change log. Not a high priority since most users should be on the latest version, but nice none the less. Also, the change log is a mile long by now. Looks awesome :)

Yeah, I was thinking this last night but I was / am out right now.

Once I get back this will be added!

on that note it would be cool to see the latest md5 when you press the check for newer update button, plus be able to upgrade even if it's the same version, in case you need to

Peter, it already does :)

When you click check for upgrade it gives you a download link and an md5 sum. SInce version 1.1.1 (see http://cloud.wifipineapple.com/index.php?changes) ;)

The upgrade to the same version will come in the form of a "reflash" option in the next release. It has already been implemented ;)

Best,

Sebkinne