Good Anti Virus For Business/enterprise

Hi all,

Where i work, we use sophos across the group.... to be frank, i dont like sophos. many reasons why.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good business anti virus' to use across a business?

I know I could google and look at each product, but i have, and it appears they all say they are the best so i thought i would ask the people that deal with this stuff on a day to day bases.

Thanks,

I think Symantec Endpoint Protection is pretty good. Had many administrative options if you install the manager client on a server to remotely push updates, apply policies, etc.

I too am interested in the guys that actually work in IT on their suggestions.

On the networks I manage, ESET tends to be the best. Kaspersky is pretty good, and GFI/Sunbelt's Vipre isn't bad either.

I've used Sophos and it does seem to be poor. McAfee has joined them in my opinion also...

I'd recommend any "suite" that fills your req's. A simple AV you can get for free, check the specs of your faviourites, what bang you can get for the buck...

Depending on how your env is behaving and the needs of it - I'd say go for a whitelisting approach if you can, there's a few options on the market - and adding up that with an extended FW (Host and Network IPS should be considered as well).

The IT company I work for, uses Forefront, its quite good, but I would recommend Avast for Enterprise, it will do a better job than MS Forefront.

thanks for the replies....

I may have to look at eset, like keyboard ninja said, half of the time, sophos misses things, cant delete things, and picks own inhouse software and scripts up at viruses, even stopped our login script... i have a personal vendetta against norton (symantic) i feel they force their products on to 'non savvy' computer users... so i will probably give them a miss! i also had the MS forefront on my mind...

Thanks all!

I've used Vipre enterprise before. Great central administration, and multiple policy groups accompanied with low system usage is what won my vote. GFI bought Sunbelt Software and have been pretty good about requests from users. I'd give that a look too.

I've used Vipre enterprise before. Great central administration, and multiple policy groups accompanied with low system usage is what won my vote. GFI bought Sunbelt Software and have been pretty good about requests from users. I'd give that a look too.

Thanks matt, will also have to give this a look.

Cheers

I'd steer clear of ESET products, I've gotten several n00b payloads past NOD32.

I used to either Kaspersky or ESET, but I experienced the same thing. A lot of payloads, such as the ones found in Switchblade, got past ESET but not Kaspersky. Granted, I have never managed either of those two from a business perspective, just my home computer. Before I switched jobs, we used Symantec but were in the process of switching over to McAfee.

This site is also good to see about it's effectiveness. http://www.av-comparatives.org/

• 1 month later...

Sorry to see that, I've personally had great luck with Sophos - we had a horrible time with Norton Endpoint - I hear great things about Vipre and ESET however I have not used them. My suggestion for those of you using Sophos or other products that have had a hard time getting rid of viruses is to not rely on the antivirus program to purge the virus in the first place. We keep all of our endpoints as updated as possible and keep them in a non-persistent state - so when the antivirus tells the users (and us) that the endpoint in question has a virus we can simply direct the end user to shutdown their workstation and then turn it back on. All changes (i.e. the virus) vanish and the endpoint goes back to its pristine condition. Really at the end of the day IT cannot rely on a singular application to protect itself. You really have to lock everything down - examples include turning off CDROM / USB / file share usage, scan everything that comes in and goes out of the network at the perimeter, that means a good UTM/Firewall 2.0 - get some sort of DLP system in place and patch, patch, patch. Business as a whole has gotten in to this empower the end user mind set and that's great, but there are still rules to follow, otherwise every day you work is going to be a disaster and suck.

Edited by AshiOni

I would recommend Vipre I have found it is fairly simple to deploy and there are alot of changes to can deploy easily. I would also suggest to invest in a enterprise level firewall the one I have has a threat detection system that eliminates alot of malware and garbage before our pc based protection gets it.

...You really have to lock everything down...

We do this on our checkout laptops (DeepFreeze is the "lockdown" software), but not on end user systems. The manpower required to keep that sustainable sounds like it would be astronomical.

Another knock on Sophos: a definition update from a couple days ago triggered false positives on just about every auto-updating program installed (including Sophos' own auto updater). They rolled out a patch within the day, but we got quite a few phone calls and emails complaining about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally like Comodo antivirus with the endpoint manager. Been trying it in a vbox network and it sure does take out some hassle. Downside is Comodo can be intrusive at times.

I tried Comodo's firewall once, but it was WAY too overprotective. Never tried their antivirus.

Anybody use Avast Business products? I use Avast Free for all my personal computers.

I use avast 2012 IS on my gaming PC due to the lax firewall rules and un-intrusiveness of it. Comodo's firewall is overprotective if you don't go in and set it to 'training' mode or whatever. Then it's intrustive for the first week popping up asking if you want to allow things (usually like windows firewall is for the first week or so) but after that it stays pretty hidden. I have yet to see the Comodo Endpoint manager used in a business environment but I think it would work well at managing all of the machines antiviruses and firewalls from one platform, rather than relying on the user to do everything.

We do this on our checkout laptops (DeepFreeze is the "lockdown" software), but not on end user systems. The manpower required to keep that sustainable sounds like it would be astronomical.

Another knock on Sophos: a definition update from a couple days ago triggered false positives on just about every auto-updating program installed (including Sophos' own auto updater). They rolled out a patch within the day, but we got quite a few phone calls and emails complaining about it.

Not really there are lots of products out there (Xen Client) comes to mind that allow you to run the OS on top of a hypervisor which allows you to deploy desktops from a central management system in a non-persistent state. Virtualcomputer.com also comes to mind.

• 1 month later...

I know this is a semi-old discussion,but I wanted to reply to this as no one mentioned this yet. GFI Vipre is an awesome home and business product. The business side is managed via their site and also allows monitoring of virtually anything on servers and workstations. Used it in an MSP environment.