Tips For Securing Your Own System?

pyth0n

I thought i would start a thread to discuss/share what techniques/software people use to protect their computers/their self in a linux environment to help myself learn as well as anyone else viewing the thread. Ideas such as port blocking, extra software firewalls installed etc...

What do you recommend doing?

Some quick answers:

Only run services you actually need, ie turn off mysql if you don't need it.

Of the ones that are left, check what IP they are bound to and make sure it is what you expect, ie if you only use mysql locally don't let it bind to 0.0.0.0

Use good passwords

Disallow root login with ssh

Don't run as root, use sudo

Don't have networking starting automatically on a laptop, always know what the network is before you connect to it.

If you want to mess with firewalls then I recommend fwbuilder, it is a great gui for generating iptables rules.

Some quick answers:

Only run services you actually need, ie turn off mysql if you don't need it.

Of the ones that are left, check what IP they are bound to and make sure it is what you expect, ie if you only use mysql locally don't let it bind to 0.0.0.0

Use good passwords

Disallow root login with ssh

Don't run as root, use sudo

Don't have networking starting automatically on a laptop, always know what the network is before you connect to it.

If you want to mess with firewalls then I recommend fwbuilder, it is a great gui for generating iptables rules.

Just adding a few more:

1) Keep your main OS and third party software up to date / patched.

2) If not using a network firewall appliance, use Comodo's Firewall

3) Do not open, attachments from unknown/insure sources

4) When setting a password, ensure it's long than 8 characters and it contains all the specials characters (1nN!!!@#$%%T^)

5) Use Virtual machines, to open attachments and programs from insecure sources.

6) Use Firefox and install NoScript, for added protection against malicious Javascript.

7) Use TrueCrypt to protect yourself against data theft.

Edited by Infiltrator