New Pc Build - Your Opinions?

psydT0ne

Just need an opinion on these builds.

Feel free to offer constructive criticism.

Option One:

Intel Core i5 3570K

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard

HIS Radeon HD7850 2GB

Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

CoolerMaster HAF XM Case

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular

Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD

CoolerMaster Hyper 412 Slim CPU Cooler

Total Price: $1155.00

Option Two:

Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler

Intel Core i5 2500K

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard

HIS Radeon HD7850 2GB

CoolerMaster HAF XM Case

G.Skill Ares F3-1866C9Q-16GAB 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3

Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular

Total Price: $1255.00

I would probably go with option 2, although i would look for an i7 processor and maybe add some extra storage if you have a large gaming library. Even if its just to store the games while you're not using them so you don't have to reinstall them later, so not a solid state drive. You could get a cheap sata drive to do that. Plus you might want to install your OS on a separate drive besides your SSD.

I mean really the only difference between the two builds is one has a faster processor then the other, while the other has more ram. You might want to pull more towards the processor and keep it at 8 GBs of ram.

Just my thoughts on the build.

Edited by xrpixer

I don't know what you will be using the computer mainly for. But I would go with an i7 cpu and a high end mobo like the ASUS P9X79 Pro or Gigabyte GA-X79-UD. That's what I plan on getting for my new rig.

Im a hardware whore and its been about six years since i've built a pc for myself from scratch.

Im still using my old dual core conroe with 4 gig ram.

so i thought i'd give myself a present.

pretty much for all round use..grunty enough to run games and a few vms along the way with a bit of future proofing and room for expansion and upgrades.

considering the amount of money already going into this build, i would look to upgrade to an i7 to ensure your a bit more 'future proof'

I second this. i5's will likely be obsolete in a couple years, but you'll probably get more life out of an i7.

Other than that, good choices. CoolerMaster makes awesome cases.

Well I re-evaluated the build and I'm going option one with Ivy Bridge.

I've dropped the ram to 8gb to save some money, although the option is always there to upgrade in the future.

There's always the option of going crossfire in a year or so when the price point for the 7850 drops.

Although an i7 would be awesome, honestly I think the i5 will do me just fine.

I mean I've survived this long on a dual core with 4gig ram, only ever upgrading the video card to a 4870 ages ago.

I'm not a hardcore gamer or overclocker but I just wanted some options in this build to explore that side of things in the future.

If this rig lasts me 3 years, including some upgrades involved I'll be a happy man.

I currently run triple monitors in my home setup, using the 4870 on my only pcie x16 slot and a nvidia quadro passive cooled card on a hacked riser cable running from a pcie x1 slot :)

I use softTH to get triple screen gaming and this has been awesome.

With the new build however I can't wait to use EYEFINITY!

It's funny though, without buidling a system for so long and just using what you have, you really appreciate it when you get the opportunity to build something special for yourself.

Personaly I would go for a motherboard that would allow you to use Nvidia GPU's. While Radeon may perform betetr as a single card, you may want to sli in the future. Purchasing a secong graphics card and running it in SLI will be cheaper than updating most of your rig when you want more graphics.