Cannot Establish Connection To Brand New Pineapple Mkiv

salient

Hi,

I recently purchased a Pineapple Mark IV and got it in the mail a few days ago. Since receiving it, I've been unable to establish any sort of connection to it, although the lights do flash when it is first plugged in/powered on (It flashes WAN/LAN/WAN/LAN a few times before settling on LAN). I've tried connecting over ethernet to 172.16.42.1, 192.168.2.1, and I've even scanned for any hosts on 10.X.X.1. I've attempted access through the web panel at 172.16.42.1/pineapple and 192.168.2.1/pineapple, as well as through SSH and Telnet. I've also tried to connect wirelessly, but there are no visible SSIDs named Pineapple, and forcing a connection to "Pineapple" just times out. Nothing works.

tl;dr Pineapple Mark IV seems to have no network connectivity. Help?!

I've filled out the "How to ask for help" form below. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pineapple Hardware Version (ex: Mark III, Mark IV, etc.):

Mark IV (Just Purchased)

Pineapple Software Version (ex: Shmoocon Beta, 1.0, etc.):

Whatever it shipped with when I received it. Unable to log into it to check.

OS used to connect to the pineapple:

Linux, OS X, Win7

Network layout of how your setup is connected (including IP information):

Ethernet cable from laptop, directly to PoE/LAN port. Static IP. Also tried connecting wirelessly.

Tried 172.16.42.1 from 172.16.42.42, 192.168.2.1 from 192.168.2.11, and checked for any hosts on 10.X.X.1

All the tools/options that are running on the pineapple when the issue happened:

None, I haven't been able to connect at all.

Ping results from computer to pineapple:

On OS X:

PING 172.16.42.1 (172.16.42.1): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

Is the problem repeatable (Yes/No):

Yes. Nothing happens, every time.

Steps taken which created the problem:

Opened package containing product, plugged product in.

Error Messages:

N/A

Log file information:

N/A

Anything else that was attempted to 'fix' the problem:

Unplugged all cables except power, held reset button for 10 seconds, left product alone for 5 minutes. No change.

Tried using different ethernet cables.

Tried plugging into ethernet port of other computers to confirm no hardware problems on my end.

Tried letting the Pineapple assign client a DHCP address over ethernet, but the card just assigns itself an apipa address after a short delay.

I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point, but I'm willing to try any suggestions.

One note: I don't have any sort of serial/JTAG cables available to me, so a clean flash is impossible.

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm, can you try setting your computers ethernet port to dhcp (automatically get an ip) and then plug in the pineapple with the ac adapter wait 2 minutes then plug in to poe/lan and your computer

once that is done browse to 172.16.42.1/pineapple/

If that is successful flash the latest firmware, If it is not try then sshing into it root@172.16.42.1

if that is still not working I would bet you need to unbrick via serial, unless there is a hardware issue then I would get a replacement from the hakshop, contact them anyways to see what they can do because like you said It's been this way since you received it.

what normally happens when you power the pineapple is some lights come on, then the kernel is being loaded and the WPS button light flashes for about 40 to 50 seconds, shortly after the WLAN light comes on. that is when you can usually log into the pineapple UI.

Try everything that Petertfm suggested except for the serial cable.

There should be no need for you to purchase something if you didn't do anything wrong.

Should you have issues after trying to do what Petertfm suggested, please contact the hakshop @ shop@hak5.org

Best,

Sebkinne

Thank you petertfm and sebkinne for taking the time to answer.

I followed petertfm's instructions, powering up the pineapple with ac power and waiting 2 minutes, then plugging in to PoE/LAN with the ethernet card configured for dhcp. The machine never receives an ip, and I am still unable to connect to the web interface, or through SSH.

I wasn't able to find any information on standard behavior during bootup, but, after reading petertfm's description, something definitely seems wrong. After being plugged in, the lights flicker once or twice between LAN/WAN, then it stops on LAN and stays there. The WPS light never flickers, and the WAN light never comes on. Perhaps the software isn't able to finish loading?

If it's not already written somewhere (if it is, and I missed it, sorry!), a quick description of what you should expect to see when the Pineapple is booting up would be helpful for troubleshooting purposes.

Since this seems to be a hardware issue, I'll be emailing the hakshop to get it sorted out.

Thanks again for trying to help!

I wasn't able to find any information on standard behavior during bootup, but, after reading petertfm's description, something definitely seems wrong. After being plugged in, the lights flicker once or twice between LAN/WAN, then it stops on LAN and stays there. The WPS light never flickers, and the WAN light never comes on. Perhaps the software isn't able to finish loading?

This sounds like a bootloader messup. Sorry about that!

But yeah, best contact the hakshop, they will sort you out.

Best,

Sebkinne