Odd Karma Behavior?

First off, I would like to say great work to everyone involved with this project, it is a very impressive piece of hardware and software. Not only that, but the community here is excellent and very helpful.

I'm seeing what I think is odd behavior with Karma, and I was hoping someone could clue me in on what is going on.

I only recently received the pineapple mark 4, but I believe I understand the concept of how Karma / Jasager works.

It responds to the probe requests sent out by the client and spoofs its ssid to make the client believe it is connected to another network.

I will try to give as much info as I can.

Pineapple Hardware Version: Mark 4 (AP121U)

Pineapple Software Version: 2.3.1

OS used to connect to the pineapple: Backtrack R2 on Asus T91MT Netbook

Network layout of how your setup is connected (including IP information):

Pineapple is plugged in to power only, no ethernet connections on either port.

Netbook is connected to the pineapple through wifi (ssid: pineapple). Karma is off.

Pineapple IP: 172.16.42.1

Netbook IP: 172.16.42.152

Netbook has one interface (wlan0), and it is in managed mode. No monitor devices created.

All the tools/options that are running on the pineapple when the issue happened:

I have all the available modules installed to usb, most are disabled.

The enabled tools/options/modules are:

- Cron Jobs

- DNS Spoof

Ping results from computer to pineapple:

100% packets received, I have no issues using the Web UI nor SSH.

Is the problem repeatable (Yes/No):

Yes, I will explain below.

Steps taken which created the problem:

Everything works with the setup described above. The issues occur once I enable Karma.

I enable karma on the web ui using the netbook. The ui responds that Karma is enabled.

At this point, I am still connected to the pineapple, and can browse around the web ui with no issues. The ssid is still "pineapple".

After this, I disconnect my netbook, and attempt to connect to a hidden wireless network by the name of "testingkarma".

Before doing so, I double check that this network is not saved in the network connections, ensuring that this is the first time the netbook ever sent out a probe for "testingkarma".

The netbook disconnects from the ssid "pineapple" and the network icon appears like it is looking for the network.

After a moment, I see that the netbook has connected to an ssid, however this is where things look very strange.

I believe the attached screenshots will show it best.

I'm thinking that the issue is related more to the netbook than the pineapple.

I have issues keeping the netbook connected to the pineapple, however when I connect wirelessly using Windows 7 from my desktop, there are no issues at all.

With the netbook, it will connect for a short while (perhaps 30 seconds), then it will disconnect.

After the disconnect, I try to reconnect to the ssid "testingkarma", but instead a connection is established to a garbled ssid.

I also have a Fonera 2100 with the Mark 3 firmware installed, I will be trying this same procedure with it later today.

Error Messages:

None that I can find.

Log file information:

Surprisingly, /www/pineapple/logs/association.log is completely empty.

Also, there are no logs present in /usb/logs/

Are there other places I should be looking for logs?

Anything else that was attempted to 'fix' the problem:

I tried multiple connections, rebooting both the netbook and pineapple in between.

Same behavior occurs.

post-16338-0-91777900-1341058306_thumb.p

post-16338-0-69048700-1341058311_thumb.p

post-16338-0-44712700-1341058415_thumb.p

Edited by thunder9861

This looks really weird, i have never been able to produce this mdk3 style garbled ssid's using karma, IMHO reflash the pineapple and see if it does it again.

I dont really feel like reflashing the pineapple, especially since it works just fine otherwise. It is slightly annoying that my status screen on the web ui just keeps filling up with junk.

The set up I am currently running is the mk4 connected to the ethernet port to my netbook, and the netbook connected to my router's wifi. Then I run the wp4.sh script.

Even though my netbook is connected to the normal wifi (not the pineapple), about every 30 seconds I get a new line of garbled ssid associated from my own netbook.

This would make more since if I was in monitor mode and performing some injection or something, but the netbook is in managed mode.

Its weird.

EDIT:

Using Windows 7 on a different computer, I have verified that I cannot see the garbled ssids in the network list. This is good news, as I was worried that the garbled ssids would be seen by others, possibly giving away the fact that something suspicious was going on.

So in reality, it just becomes a display glitch.

Still, it would be nice to know why, and if there is anything I can do about it.

Has anyone else seen behavior like this on a linux system?

Edited by thunder9861

I dont really feel like reflashing the pineapple, especially since it works just fine otherwise. It is slightly annoying that my status screen on the web ui just keeps filling up with junk.

The set up I am currently running is the mk4 connected to the ethernet port to my netbook, and the netbook connected to my router's wifi. Then I run the wp4.sh script.

Even though my netbook is connected to the normal wifi (not the pineapple), about every 30 seconds I get a new line of garbled ssid associated from my own netbook.

This would make more since if I was in monitor mode and performing some injection or something, but the netbook is in managed mode.

Its weird.

EDIT:

Using Windows 7 on a different computer, I have verified that I cannot see the garbled ssids in the network list. This is good news, as I was worried that the garbled ssids would be seen by others, possibly giving away the fact that something suspicious was going on.

So in reality, it just becomes a display glitch.

Still, it would be nice to know why, and if there is anything I can do about it.

Has anyone else seen behavior like this on a linux system?

You are a unique case it seems.

Please do reflash your pineapple. Saving changes you have made doesn't take much time and upgrading / reflashing takes only a couple of minutes.

It is also very safe and should not cause other issues.

As you said, it is just a display glitch but this is not entirely true. If they show up garbled on the pineapple, that means that a garbled name is broadcasted back.

Best,

Sebkinne

I've not had any troubles with linux, but I got this way back when I first got the pineapple:

crazynet.jpg

I live across the street from a large hospital. Lots & lots of wifi networks....

some in plain site, some hidden. These hidden ones show up in the wifi manager used by bt5r2 as things such as: /x00 or ::::

There are quite a few of them. I'm always learning as I have to teach myself everything so I haven't researched those networks.

But yeah, I never got anything like yours while on linux. Have you been around any military bases? I wonder what one would get around say, the Pentagon.

• 10 months later...

space_cowboy are you using firmware 2.3.1 too?

kyhwana, that was a fun episode... the lastest one from this weekend is the Crimson Horror... Not bad. That Jenna-Louise Coleman makes it so much better.. :) I think she's better than Rose...

space_cowboy are you using firmware 2.3.1 too?

kyhwana, that was a fun episode... the lastest one from this weekend is the Crimson Horror... Not bad. That Jenna-Louise Coleman makes it so much better.. :) I think she's better than Rose...

You... you are on WHAT firmware?! And yes, Coleman is awesome.

For anyone in this thread: I believe that the Karma woes are over - the currently running beta seems to be saying so anyway.

If you want to try it out, head to http://wifipineapple.com/?portal !

I wasn't trying to indicate that I was on firmware 2.3.1. I was trying to determine what firmware space_cowboy is using. The original post in this thread the guy was seeing this problem using 2.3.1... I am using 2.8.0 like most everyone else.