Need Some Guidance.

xathor

What I have to work with: Pineapple Mark IV, Alfa AWUS036NHA, 2 (kit provided omnidirectional antennas), 1 plane type directional antenna. I have a high-gain 16db antenna on order.

Hi, Just got my pineapple yesterday and played with at a bit yesterday. Seems like a fun toy with a bit of a learning curve. I like it so far. Unfortunately a lot of how-to's seem to be on github and they are all removed. :(

My plan is pretty simple... I would like to connect to a distant wifi network with the directional antenna connected to the Alfa via USB to the pineapple. Then with the wifi on the pineapple I would like to repeat the wireless network under a different SSID with WPA2 encryption. I would also like to take all the connections that connect to my repeated wifi and tunnel them thru SSH to my computer back home. I am having some difficulty setting this up and I would like guidance or tips on this scenario.

Any guidance or help would be appreciated.

Edit: To get answers more directly related to my question.

Edited by xathor

Posted · Hidden by xathor, June 29, 2012 - Not getting answers related to the question...
Hidden by xathor, June 29, 2012 - Not getting answers related to the question...

The AP that I am hoping to be able to connect to is (supposedly) owned by a large US company and goes over a satellite link back to the states. It's pretty distant and spotty at best even outside the tents. I'm sure with a directional antenna I will be able to connect to it reliably given that the entire area is nearly flat. Regardless, I'm not too terribly worried about the AP. I can't go that long without internet. It's a terrible addiction.

I struggled for a while at one point in my life with trying to get internet for several months over a Iridium phone using a serial connection. The world changes a lot in 8 months...

Sounds like a satellite option might be better for you. tons of people offering somewhat reasonably priced broadband sat connections in afghan and much of the region. check this out, http://www.caworldwifi.com/wl2410gm-1-watt-outdoor-wifi-transmitter.html, was able to provide a signal ~750 meters in an urban area w/a 17dbi directional atenna.

Edited by bobbyb1980

I also noticed something strange after playing with airmon-ng earlier... even after a reset and firmware re-flash. If I log in via SSH and do a iwconfig I get mon.wlan0 up; Also, if I ifconfig I see it as well. If I run airmon-ng I see...

wlan0 Atheros ath9k - [phy0]

mon.wlan0 Atheros ath9k - [phy0]

IEEE Unknown Unknown (MONITOR MODE NOT SUPPORTED)

802.11bgn Unknown Unknown (MONITOR MODE NOT SUPPORTED)

Mode:Monitor Unknown Unknown (MONITOR MODE NOT SUPPORTED)

Frequency:2.462 Unknown Unknown (MONITOR MODE NOT SUPPORTED)

GHz Unknown Unknown (MONITOR MODE NOT SUPPORTED)

Tx-Power=18 Unknown Unknown (MONITOR MODE NOT SUPPORTED)

dBm Unknown Unknown (MONITOR MODE NOT SUPPORTED)

I've seen in other posts people have had this issue but I haven't seen how people fixed it. It persists thru firmware flashing (http based).

If I 'airmon-ng stop mon.wlan0' and 'airmon-ng stop wlan0' then bring the interface back up with 'ifconfig wlan0 up' it gets rid of the issue but keeps people from being able to connect to my wifi.

:( Weird.