Spare wireless Router

Stifler20

Hello guys, been a long time viewer, just never got round to signing up to the forum. Yes, unfortunatly, I am a noob, but not at everything and certainly not noob mentality! I know when to search for the answer my self, after google is my friend, almost a forum moto around here!

But, for this question google did not help, so I thought i would ask here, and also say a quick hello.

Right, I have an spare Netgear Wireless Router and was wondering if there is a way to use that to connect my Wireless Network, i.e the Other Netgear Router. I already have a belkin Wireless USB Adapter so I dont really need it, but just curious. If this isnt possible, if anyone knew anything else i could use this for.

Cheers

You could look into WDS which ties a bunch of AP's together to make one network. Some routers (my wrt54g+dd-wrt for example) can be set to connect to a wireless network as a client (your wifi acts as a wan connection), which allows you to set up a AP in one room, and the connect your router to it from another, and cable into the second router. But it all depends on the routers firmware capabilitys, and if there has been any modifcation for it by 3rd parties.

I think this is a topic covered briefly in Steve Gibson's Security Now podcast, episode 28 I think, titled ethernet insecurity. He mentions the mutual connection of two seperate networks to each other, I didn't have a look at the transcript for the episode but he mentioned in the podcast that there's diagrams etc. there.

I think this is a topic covered briefly in Steve Gibson's Security Now podcast, episode 28 I think, titled ethernet insecurity. He mentions the mutual connection of two seperate networks to each other, I didn't have a look at the transcript for the episode but he mentioned in the podcast that there's diagrams etc. there.

Yeah, I remember something from that podcast on this.

There may be better pages online on the subject. Google is good, but for some obscure things it is difficult to find any information. Did you take a look and see if Wikipedia had a section on this?