New Wifi Pineapple Firmware Upgrade

mrslow

Got my new mk4 wifi pineapple the other day and it has firmware1.1.1 on it so i hooked it up to the interet and tried to do an online update but it would not find an update. So i downloaded 2.3.1 and tried it from the web browser and it gave an error4 and i let it sit since it said i would get an error, but nothing so i tried it with the md5 checksum and it says bad checksum. I found a way thru WINSCP and PUTTY i added the upgrade.bin to the /tmp folder and executed ysupgrade -n /tmp/upgrade.bin. It started to upgrade then froze and appears bricked. Please help.

Got my new mk4 wifi pineapple the other day and it has firmware1.1.1 on it so i hooked it up to the interet and tried to do an online update but it would not find an update. So i downloaded 2.3.1 and tried it from the web browser and it gave an error4 and i let it sit since it said i would get an error, but nothing so i tried it with the md5 checksum and it says bad checksum. I found a way thru WINSCP and PUTTY i added the upgrade.bin to the /tmp folder and executed ysupgrade -n /tmp/upgrade.bin. It started to upgrade then froze and appears bricked. Please help.

Did you verify that the MD5sum matched:

1. After your download?

2. When you SCP'd to the pineapple?

Just an FYI, error 4 means that you did not supply a file..

Did you verify that the MD5sum matched:

1. After your download?

2. When you SCP'd to the pineapple?

Just an FYI, error 4 means that you did not supply a file..

I did not check it, I assumed it was corrent since I got it off the pineapple website. I just checked it and it didnt match. In that case would I try and re-download it or use the actual checksum of the file. Should have asked that question before hand, but for future refernece it will work. I will be ordering an alfa console kit, since this may happen again. I hate to assume again, but I bricked it didnt I? The error 4 code I was getting was because I was trying to upload the file without the checksum since it said it didnt match.Thats why I tried to manually upgrade from the /tmp folder. I appreciate your knowledge and input.

Update:

After redownloading I got the correct checksum. Is there a way to go back beside re-flashing?

Edited by mrslow

I did not check it, I assumed it was corrent since I got it off the pineapple website. I just checked it and it didnt match. In that case would I try and re-download it or use the actual checksum of the file. Should have asked that question before hand, but for future refernece it will work. I will be ordering an alfa console kit, since this may happen again. I hate to assume again, but I bricked it didnt I? The error 4 code I was getting was because I was trying to upload the file without the checksum since it said it didnt match.Thats why I tried to manually upgrade from the /tmp folder. I appreciate your knowledge and input.

Update:

After redownloading I got the correct checksum. Is there a way to go back beside re-flashing?

See, the reason why we post the MD5 sum is because it allows the user (or because we implemented it) the pineapple to verify that the download did not get corrupted.

It doesn't matter where you get the file from. If I brought it to you personally on a USB stick, copying it over could STILL corrupt it. That is the great thing about the checksums, they can prevent bricks :)

I fear you do have a brick as you flashed a corrupt firmware.

The only way out is using a serial cable to do a clean flash.

I am terribly sorry about that, I hate seeing bricked pineapples!

I can assure you though that the newer firmware versions are safer yet and will give you appropriate errors.

Edit: Sadly, there is no way to go back. :(

Best,

Sebkinne

Thank you. I have already ordered an alfa console board. I am sad I bricked it, but it is the best way to learn sometimes. I saw the flashing guide and it looks pretty straight forward. Thanks again. Knowledge out of necessity.