Simple Network

logicalconfusion

What’s the best way to configure a network of three computers and a DSL modem/router? Two of the PC’s are running nix, Ubu and BT, one is a XP SP3. I know I can set up the XP machine to allow remote admin but there’s probably a more intuitive way. I mean, its just not practical to remote into a machine on the same subnet. How can I switch from one machine to another using Linux if they’re all wired to the same router? I would kind of like to alt+tab between the comps on my network w/ one set in the DMZ. I've heard of bridging the NIC but what exact does it mean? Any suggestions?

1) If your ADSL modem/router has spare Ethernet ports, you could use them to connect the computers together, or purchase a x5 ports network switch.

2) Use your router's DHCP server to automatically assign each machine an IP address, rather than statically configuring each computer with an IP address.

3) If you are comfortable with VMware, I'd install VMware Workstation on the XP machine and install your OSes as virtual machines. It will be very convenient for you, since you will have the ability to switch between the OSes, without having to dual boot or RDP into them.

4) When bridging is enabled, two devices on two different networks, for example, a LAN and Wireless are permitted to talk or exchange messages to one other. In your case, I would just recommend using VmWare or Virtual box to switch between the OSes.

Either use remote desktop or attach the machines to the same keyboard, mouse, and monitor with a KVM switch.

A KVM switch would definitely make things simple and easy to use.

Also you could use Synergy to share the mouse and keyboard between multiple computers on your desk.

Edited by Infiltrator

Hmm I never thought of networking multiple computers using VMs. You mentioned setting the XP on the front, which might work but seems a little archaic. M$ pulled the plug on XP already. The OS is like 12 yrs old. Secondly, by implementing your solution I would have to format all the PCs. Not that I really mind, but I think its best to keep a secure linux distro on the front so I can maintain the entire network. Using harda s such as a KVM kind of defeats the purpose of a router combined with sophisticated software in IMHO. I recently asked guys for suggestions on how to transfer large 20 gig files from one PC to another. Some of the members suggested buying cross over cables or using a hard drive enclosure, when all I had to do was set file sharing. I pretty sure theres a way to admin a small network using Linux with a typical DSL router. I'm looking for a way to login to a deamon from PC on the network which allows access to any PC on the network.

I agree XP is archaic that's why I don't use it anymore. Instead I use Windows 7 as the main OS, with Vmware workstation and 2x virtual machines running Linux Os.

When running Vmware, your physical machine should have good specs, in order to maintain a good level of performance. I'd recommend something like a QUAD core CPU with at least 8 to 12 GB of RAM.

When I transfer large files between machines, I would normally do what you suggested enable file sharing, and then I would map the folder as a network drive on the other computers, so I can copy or access the files.

When you say "I'm looking for a way to login to a deamon from PC on the network which allows access to any PC on the network.", are you looking to do something like an RDP session, where you remote into another computer via terminal services.

Alright, I got three computers that I want to network. Lets imagine the network can be expanded 30 computers with different op. sys., linux, mac, win, minix, etc later on. For now its a four port DSL modem router running the show. Its sophisticated enough to implement a software based firewall. The question is how to make all four computers interact with each other using software, TCP/IP. Windows of course is known for remote desktop and active directory. Whats the linux equivalent RDP? SSH? There must be a way to seamlessly integrate each PC on the network. I dont think its possible to boot into a VM using VMware. VMware requires a host OS.

Whats the linux equivalent RDP? SSH?

SSH is good for securing the connection between your Windows box and Linux box, as well as remotely controlling your Linux box via terminal commands.

However, you can use an application called, "Xming" which is a great and lightweight implementation of X11 for Windows that allows you to connect to a Linux box just like RDP.

There must be a way to seamlessly integrate each PC on the network. I dont think its possible to boot into a VM using VMware. VMware requires a host OS.

Not necessarily, Vmware also has what's called VmWare ESXI, a Hypervisor which doesn't rely on a host OS like Windows to run on. It's installed just like a normal OS on the hardware itself, and from there you can create VMs and boot them just like a normal OS running on a physical hardware.

The only downside of ESXI is that is relies on a server hardware. VmWare ESXI has been designed specifically for organizations or companies looking to downsize their data center servers, but can also be used by individuals who wants to explore the technology further.

Here's a link with more information about VmWare ESXI: http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/esxi-and-esx/overview.html

Now if you just think that the whole Virtualization thing is too complicated, just use your router to interconnect the other machines together. If later you plan on adding more machines to your network, buy a x5 ports network switch and hook it up to your router. You can then use RDP for Windows and Xming for Linux for controlling your machines remotely.

Edited by Infiltrator

The second solution seems viable. Maybe I connect the PCs to the router and use Xming and RDP combined with SAMBA as you suggest. I definitely not in a position to invest in VMware ESXi. I wonder if theres a vbox equivalent. What are the security implications involved with RDP and Xming? Sounds like I would have tweak the enter network and setup static IPs.

What are the security implications involved with RDP and Xming?

If SSH is configured properly, it can be pretty secure with Xming.

On the other hand, I would not recommend to use RDP alone to remotely control a computer from over the internet, I'd use OpenVPN or SSHCop to make the connection secure.

Or use a third party software like TeamViewer of UltraVnC.

Sounds like I would have tweak the enter network and setup static IPs.

Just use your router's DHCP server to allocate IP addresses dynamically, rather than configuring each machine statically.