Virtualbox Error - Vboxdrv Not Accessible

Hello,

I installed the latest version of vbox 4.x on my BT 5 R2 box using Synaptic and by downloading the .run for 64bit systems. Both versions fail to emulate, but load the default GUI. I get a strange error every time I load an OS, as you can see – “Please reinstall the kernel module by executing etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup.” The system shows fatal error msg when modprobe vboxdrv is executed. The virtualbox.org community recommended installing the latest kernel, which is on the system along the latest updates from BT. The old version of BT runs fine on Ubuntu, the problem seems to BT’S inherent security. Any suggestions?

post-39945-0-63350100-1339173770_thumb.j

I got the 3.2.6 installed on the BT 5 R2 and 2.6.32 on the Unbuntu with the older version of vbox. the BT wiki recommends the following command cp -rf include/generated/* include/linux/ after preparing the kernel sources. For some strange reason, causes the system to display an invalid opt error msg. apparently, there is not linux/headers folder, even though the kernel is listed as the latest release. There really no documentation on virtualbox.org on how to remove the files that were installed by the .run installation w/out tampering the the files installed through Synaptic. So, this is obviously an issue with the DKMS/Kernel/Vboxdrv configuration. The mod who analyzed the 300+ was so perplexed he asked why I chose BT.

ok, it turns out that properly installed. I insalled two instances on using the .run and another using Synaptic. After removing both instances and installing the ubuntu version of BT 64 using gdebi it worked. However, now the problem is the internal VT-x/AMD-V modules. Vbox apparently cannot load 64bit operating systems, even though its a quad core intel running a 64bit version of BT5. I feel Im making progress at a snails pace. any suggestions?

ok, it turns out that properly installed. I insalled two instances on using the .run and another using Synaptic. After removing both instances and installing the ubuntu version of BT 64 using gdebi it worked. However, now the problem is the internal VT-x/AMD-V modules. Vbox apparently cannot load 64bit operating systems, even though its a quad core intel running a 64bit version of BT5. I feel Im making progress at a snails pace. any suggestions?

I don't think Virtualbox supports 64bit. I always run 32bit operating systems in vitualbox so I have never tried.

I am almost positive I read somewhere recently that Virtualbox will not load 64bit.

Why not just load a 32 bit OS. Is there a specific reason you want to vitalize a 64 bit environment.

The answer is simple. I shelled out money for more horsepower. Actually, if you head over to, www.virtualbox.org, you'll see that it in fact possible to emulate a 64bit OS. I've been working with win 7 64 ultimate using my Ubuntu vbox for quite a while now. I think the problem is with BT's inherent security. I confirmed the CPU by doing a quick cat /proc/cpuinfo and it turns out that's not set to utilize SMP but adheres to x86_64. Now its just a matter of either formatting or configuring with a lot of beer. :( This has been a real back in the back track.

The answer is simple. I shelled out money for more horsepower. Actually, if you head over to, www.virtualbox.org, you'll see that it in fact possible to emulate a 64bit OS. I've been working with win 7 64 ultimate using my Ubuntu vbox for quite a while now. I think the problem is with BT's inherent security. I confirmed the CPU by doing a quick cat /proc/cpuinfo and it turns out that's not set to utilize SMP but adheres to x86_64. Now its just a matter of either formatting or configuring with a lot of beer. :( This has been a real back in the back track.

The bios was not set to enable virtualization, problem solved. As soon I reset the bios, logged in and clicked start, I a pic of my win 7 64 bit ultimate on my BT R5 staring at me in awe. Now I have to figure out how to network multiple PCs and VMs on the same subnet.

Don't use Backtrack to run virtual machines for starters. Its highly customized for pentesting, and some kernel flags are lef tout by default, so its probably not an issue or yoru machines hardware capabilities, but dependencies and kernel modes not enabled. Also, f virtual box. I know its free, but I've never had much luck or stability with it on any system. I use VMware on WIndows 7 and all of the VM's I have ever created fork flawlessely except Windows 8, which I had to get an update from VMware for to balanced the new BIOS requirements to boot Windows 8, and after that worked fine. If you don't want to buy vmware, vmware player is free, and can also be used to make new machines with a little canoodling. There is also Proxmox, but from the complaints I see with getting it to run anything, it seems to be more a pain in the ass than vbox.

I see that BT is secure compared to common distros. Google chrome wont load unless a certain modifications are applied. This is really just an experiment. It's not like I'm heading the Pentagon. I bet they'll integrate vbox and virtualization in future releases. Its really funny how people in the hak5 community like to point out commercial alternatives such as VMware and M$. Their stability lies in the fact that its closed source.

Don't use Backtrack to run virtual machines for starters. Its highly customized for pentesting, and some kernel flags are lef tout by default, so its probably not an issue or yoru machines hardware capabilities, but dependencies and kernel modes not enabled. Also, f virtual box. I know its free, but I've never had much luck or stability with it on any system. I use VMware on WIndows 7 and all of the VM's I have ever created fork flawlessely except Windows 8, which I had to get an update from VMware for to balanced the new BIOS requirements to boot Windows 8, and after that worked fine. If you don't want to buy vmware, vmware player is free, and can also be used to make new machines with a little canoodling. There is also Proxmox, but from the complaints I see with getting it to run anything, it seems to be more a pain in the ass than vbox.

The only real use I have for virtualbox is an XP VM that I use to watch Netflix but for the most part I have never had any serious problems with virtualbox. Its a great platform and I have set up many Linux VM's for customers that are virus prone. The only issue I think I have had is lack of performance. A slow system is not a great system to use as a host anyway.

Well, on my box, I think my hardware helps with that performance issue. I think for Virtualbox, if your host machine is on the lower end of the scale, that can always hinder performance, but I've got a 6core CPU with 16GB of ram and a 64bit OS host, so all of my VM's run smooth. I can run 64bit Windows Vista, 7, and 8, and Aero works in all of them as well. Not sure if VirtualBox uses GPU acceleration these days, I haven't messed with it in like a year or so, but VMware now has GPU acceleration, and I've even went as far as installing Doom, Warsow and Unreal 99 in virtual machines, just to check their game performance. Little bit slow, but still playable, which was hugely surprising. Right now I am running an ATI 5770, but when I get the money will upgrade it.

Edited by digip

Well, on my box, I think my hardware helps with that performance issue. I think for Virtualbox, if your host machine is on the lower end of the scale, that can always hinder performance, but I've got a 6core CPU with 16GB of ram and a 64bit OS host, so all of my VM's run smooth. I can run 64bit Windows Vista, 7, and 8, and Aero works in all of them as well. Not sure if VirtualBox uses GPU acceleration these days, I haven't messed with it in like a year or so, but VMware now has GPU acceleration, and I've even went as far as installing Doom, Warsow and Unreal 99 in virtual machines, just to check their game performance. Little bit slow, but still playable, which was hugely surprising. Right now I am running an ATI 5770, but when I get the money will upgrade it.

Virtualbox does support 3D hardware but its still experimental. I have a 4Ghz Quad core with 8Gb of ram and my VM is Windows XP with 2Gb and dual core and I was able to play the Back to the Future games with it. I rarely use them for gaming. I think VM's still have a ways to go before real gaming will be possible. Back to the Future is a very low resource game and I had a few problems making it run right. However, once I had it working it ran great.

I don't see a VM playing Modern Warfare 3 any time soon. I think the problem is that in order to use hardware 3D acceleration the VM can only interface with hardware though API's and without specific support by hardware manufacturers its going to be hard to make it perfect. We can't even get Nvidia to help with good Linux drivers I don't see them wasting time with VM's any time soon. I think it all comes down to horse power. If you though enough pony's at it then anything will work.

I do almost all of my gaming on the Xbox. I have two of them, one on the shop and one in the living room, and the nice thing about those is that I know any game I buy will work perfectly and I don't have to mess with it. I honestly abandoned PC gaming years ago because I got sick of upgrading my video card every time a new game came out. Today the only reason I want a 9 series Nvidia card is for Cuda.

Edited by vdub

I do almost all of my gaming on the Xbox. I have two of them, one on the shop and one in the living room, and the nice thing about those is that I know any game I buy will work perfectly and I don't have to mess with it. I honestly abandoned PC gaming years ago because I got sick of upgrading my video card every time a new game came out. Today the only reason I want a 9 series Nvidia card is for Cuda.

I wish Vmware would support CUDA!

I wish Vmware would support CUDA!

I thought latest VMware did in BackTrack 5? I never tried it, but I don't have an nvidia card(s) nor did I setup the cuda drivers required under backtrack. Would be an interesting project if someone did manage to do it. The fact that Aero works flawlessly in a VM these days makes me think it could do cuda with vmware tools installed, but that may just be wishful thinking.

Personally I run Linux so I don't have to worry about that. My VM's are Windows but my host's are all Linux machines.

Like I have said before, all Windows is good for is Netflix. lol

Well, thats roughly an opinion rather than fact. Personally I think Apple products are good for are worlds largest paper weights, but thats also my opinion, and Linux, is still not mature enough, as a full time desktop environment. As servers for specific things, like apache and databases, yes, I would rather use them over IIS any day, and while I do like playing with linux, I would not be able to do my job without Windows, for which my business runs on. Try Photoshop and Illustrator in Linux. It can be done, but lets just say its less than suitable. Try Battlefield 3 in linux, that just doesn't exist, so without starting the OS wars that are as old as dirt, use what gets the job done. I use windows and linux, and like them both to a degree, but keep your apples away from the rest of my equipment or I'll have to get out the blendtec and ask "will it blend?" why yes, yes it will...