Metasploit Is Ridiculously Slow To Start

vdub

I have metasploit running on my netbook and the msfconsole takes almost 3 in a half minutes to start. If I run it from backtrack it loads in a quarter of the time. Both are using the same version.

I have tried loading msfd first and it does not have any effect. I have also tried starting msfconsole with -n to disable database support. That actually helps a little but not much. Does anyone have any tips on making this thing run faster. I don't want to run the service all of the time because this system does other things and I can't stair the resources. However, I also don't want to sit and stare at my console for almost 4 minutes.

I have metasploit running on my netbook and the msfconsole takes almost 3 in a half minutes to start. If I run it from backtrack it loads in a quarter of the time. Both are using the same version.

I have tried loading msfd first and it does not have any effect. I have also tried starting msfconsole with -n to disable database support. That actually helps a little but not much. Does anyone have any tips on making this thing run faster. I don't want to run the service all of the time because this system does other things and I can't stair the resources. However, I also don't want to sit and stare at my console for almost 4 minutes.

Keep this in mind.

http://www.rapid7.com/products/metasploit/system-requirements.jsp

My CPU is a little slow at 1.667 but I do have 2Gb of ram.

I just noticed how well it runs in BT5 so figured that it should run faster in the native OS. Once msfconsole starts it runs great. The only problem is starting.

Backtrack is a highly modified version of Debian, and most of the kernel and customization is geared towards and optimized for the tools. Some of the tools, won't work the same in other distros, depending on all of the libraries and kernel switches in use. Netbooks in general though, are usually going to run a little slower, but slow load times for metasploit console are not uncommon. Update to the 4.0 version, see if that helps any more though. I find it to be a bit snappier the msf3. R1 and later should have it installed, 5 does not have 4 by default I don't think and uses 3. By the way, you can't just svn update to 4. It will update 3 and armitage, but armitage will then fail to run since the very latest version of armitage, follows msf4's new libraries and is not backwards compatible. Only way to fix is manually install msf4.

I am currently running 4.4.

I assume that's the newest version. In order to get it to install in openSUSE I had to install 4.2 then change the permissions on a folder and database and then upgrade to 4.4. Prior to doing that I could not even get the program to run at all.

I find that issuing what I want to do via a long one liner w/msfcli, msfpayload, msfencode, etc etc usually is quicker than going through msfconsole.

I do testing on msf 4.3 on Ubuntu 64 bit machine w/2gb of RAM and rarely wait longer than ~30 or 40 seconds.