Does anyone know the method that uses Pandora to remember?

elreservado

That's what I thought he meant... so you login, it knows what you listen to, it stores it...

is it so hard to understand??

Scenario:

1- I create a pandora account

2- I login and choose all my favorite artists

3- without preambles I format my c drive and reinstall everything from scratch. In the meanwhile, my calbe-modem changes it's ip

4- when i first browse the pandora webpage again (after haveing deleted everything on my driver (which includes cookies and browsing cache and everything)) it doesn't ask me for a login name nor a password. It directly loads my last session whith all my favorite artists. So:

-it es definitely not a cookie (client side) because I have wiped everything on my computer

-it is definitely not my ip address (because it has changed)

What is it that is stored on the server side that makes Pandora remember all my settings without relying on any file on the client-side?? and how is this achieved?

Maybe a better question would be: Are you sure you (or someone else in your place) haven't logged in to Pandora? I wouldn't find it that unusual if they kept track of your preferences in your server-side account information. That way if you log in from somewhere else you still have your config available to you.

Maybe a better question would be: Are you sure you (or someone else in your place) haven't logged in to Pandora? I wouldn't find it that unusual if they kept track of your preferences in your server-side account information. That way if you log in from somewhere else you still have your config available to you.

/me sees this as most likely

/me sees this as most likely

Ditto.

when i first browse the pandora webpage again (after haveing deleted everything on my driver (which includes cookies and browsing cache and everything)) it doesn't ask me for a login name nor a password. It directly loads my last session whith all my favorite artists.

if you have formatted your c: drive, the situation u describe is impossible.

when i first browse the pandora webpage again (after haveing deleted everything on my driver (which includes cookies and browsing cache and everything)) it doesn't ask me for a login name nor a password. It directly loads my last session whith all my favorite artists.

Ditto.

impossible is nothing... to begin with

if anyone does not believe me, just take the time and make your own conclusions and don't treat me as if I was dumb-stupid, I know what I say. At this point I believe the only way they ARE doing this is by grabbing (somehow with actionscript or maybe a hidden script on another web scripting languaje) some hardware unique id's, like the cpu one or the hard disk one, or maube a combination of both.

by the way, I always zero all data when formatting.

if anyone does not believe me, just take the time and make your own conclusions and don't treat me as if I was dumb-stupid, I know what I say. At this point I believe the only way they ARE doing this is by grabbing (somehow with actionscript or maybe a hidden script on another web scripting languaje) some hardware unique id's, like the cpu one or the hard disk one, or maube a combination of both.

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU

I was bored so I decided to test this out (I needed to format anyway) I made sure I was signed in to pandora in firefox and IE then I formated and reinstalled XP and it did not know who I was when I went back to pandora.. and the Same for Vista (Clean upgrade from 5600 to 5728) so I think you signed in or someone else signed in or you didn't format it at all. and if I wasent so lasy I'd open wireshark and CHECK EVERY packet sent to pandora servers...

It does seem EXTREMELY unlikely that a music service which has accounts which you sign in to would read hardware IDs. I cannot see any possible way at all this could be the case and I think you may have made a mistake.

I am open to correction as always but for now I don't see it, sorry.

Impossible, or alteast I can't recreate the effect. This is exactly what I did:

1. Got my old computer and installed windows on it

2. Logged into pandora

3. Formatted drive ( I DIDN'T ZERO IT)

4. Reinstalled windows and connected to the internet( I got a dynamic ip so it always changes)

5. Went to padora and volia I had to log in...

Maybe I didn't do it like you or something but I say it's fairly close to impossible :P.

Dude, ive been on this forum a while (near the begining) and ive seen the n00biest n00b posts, posted by a n00b who studied n00b at the university of n00b, yet the regulars on here are 99% of the time polite and point said n00b in the correct direction.

Now im not saying you're a n00b but the tone of your posts is testing said politeness. Most forums would have told u to where to go after the "is it so hard to understand?? " comment. But people still replied in a polite, if not slightly blunt, (in response to your tone no doubt) fashion.

So chill winston... and maybe we can get to the bottom of this. :wink:

Well said that man!

Oh, and:

Dude, ive been on this forum a while (near the begining) and ive seen the n00biest n00b posts, posted by a n00b who studied n00b at the university of n00b, yet the regulars on here are 99% of the time polite and point said n00b in the correct direction.

ROFL.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually it's not impossible, just improbable. Using ActiveX (IE only unless you get an extension for it in Firefox) you can get full access to the HD, registry, pretty much anything. Here, test this out.

I'm pretty sure Flash (what Pandora runs on) has the ability to do so as well, regardless of browser (possibly with the help of a Flash plugin like this one). However, I'm not a Flash coder so I can't comment on the specifics, but I do know I have extensions already that create files & folders on my HD, so the filesystem access is already in place.

Also keep in mind what happens when you visit Windows update, online virus scanners, etc. They basically have full access to your filesystem (although you usually have to grant it). Oh, and spyware.. lol.

The main thing is that if a company got caught tracking users by unique ID's such as HD serial numbers, CPU ID's, etc. it'd be a PR nightmare, and they have no compelling reason to risk it so they don't.

But yes, I think the OP was just.. confused? about the situation. I don't think Pandora would employ any of these tactics.

omg...

hav a look at

C:Dokumente und Einstellungen(user)AnwendungsdatenMacromediaFlash Player#SharedObjects

Flash can store data local by using SharedObjects. This is a kind of flash cookie.

Checkout:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/document..._manager06.html

The Flash thing you see there is YOUR settings, not just an example image. Funny how you have to go to Macromedia.com to change the settings, no?