Sandisk Cruzer Fit 16gb

Okay...I don't know WTF is causing this but it has now happened twice. I format a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16gb as outlined in http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=25882 and install all the modules to it. It works fine for a week or so then on boot it is no longer there...I take it out of the pineapple and plug it into one of my linux laptops and it shows up in /dev but it cannot be mounted. Always errors out with an error saying it is read-only (but it still will not mount). First time it happened I chalked it up to being a bad flash drive and SanDisk is even replacing it under warranty. But it just happened to a second SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16gb so WTF is going on??? Anybody else had this happen to them?

Interesting...I can see one possibly being bad but having two do the same thing astounds me.

I own 2 of those and haven't experienced any problems. I know a few have been plagued with thumb drive issues more after firmware 2.0.0? I wish someone could shed some light on this. I am curious and don't want my drives to die.

both have the same setup 2 gig swap, 14 gig/whats leftover for /usb/

I have installed sslstrip and a few others all is working, however I do flash on a regular basses and have not tested longevity or left on for long periods.

EDIT:

one other thing I noticed was after a little usb use on the pineapple the drive is very hot, I can confirm the usb hub in the hakshop will work together with this 16 gig thumb drive, granted I tested with AC wall unit powering the pineapple. I am just thinking some of the heat may be lowered by using a hub?

Edited by petertfm

I own 2 of those and haven't experienced any problems. I know a few have been plagued with thumb drive issues more after firmware 2.0.0? I wish someone could shed some light on this. I am curious and don't want my drives to die.

I should of mentioned that I had NO problems with any of the firmware versions prior to 2.0.0 and I had ran all of them...it was only after flashing to 2.0.0 that I lost both flash drives.

both have the same setup 2 gig swap, 14 gig/whats leftover for /usb/

I have installed sslstrip and a few others all is working, however I do flash on a regular basses and have not tested longevity or left on for long periods.

I had the same setup 2gb swap/14gb...I had sslstrip, nmap, tcpdump, etc. and all worked fine...up till the point the flash drives quit working. Like I said, I can see me possibly getting one bad flash drive but now that it has happened to two of them I think something is going on.

EDIT:

one other thing I noticed was after a little usb use on the pineapple the drive is very hot, I can confirm the usb hub in the hakshop will work together with this 16 gig thumb drive, granted I tested with AC wall unit powering the pineapple. I am just thinking some of the heat may be lowered by using a hub?

I have the usb hub from hakshop but was not using it when the drives died. I just had them plugged straight into the pineapple and the pineapple itself was in a pelican 1060 case. Maybe the flash drives did get too hot but when the last one failed I only had the pineapple on for less than 10 minutes.

I should of mentioned that I had NO problems with any of the firmware versions prior to 2.0.0 and I had ran all of them...it was only after flashing to 2.0.0 that I lost both flash drives.

I had the same setup 2gb swap/14gb...I had sslstrip, nmap, tcpdump, etc. and all worked fine...up till the point the flash drives quit working. Like I said, I can see me possibly getting one bad flash drive but now that it has happened to two of them I think something is going on.

I have the usb hub from hakshop but was not using it when the drives died. I just had them plugged straight into the pineapple and the pineapple itself was in a pelican 1060 case. Maybe the flash drives did get too hot but when the last one failed I only had the pineapple on for less than 10 minutes.

I had a config problem in 2.0, but it was because i copied and pasted the usb config file from the old fw. After I reflashed and just reoptioned the 2.0, it mounted swap and storage correctly. I only use 1gb swap, open wrt is small, i see no need for it to use 2gigs of swap.

You might be on to something with the heat. My fit also runs warm in the usb. Its very small, low surface area for cooling. Combined with a pelican that could be it.

I have never run mine in a case.

I just had my second 16GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit fail. The first one was privately labeled from Staples (Staples Relay - model 21875). I purchased a replacement from Amazon (SDCZ33) and it worked for 4 days before failing too.

My Cruzer Fit has been inside the pineapple since I built the first firmware with USB support for it and it still runs just fine.

For those having this issue, try a different USB stick.

Oddly enough there is only a very small percentage of people that have reported this, so the issue is hard to track down.

It could be the pineapple hardware, really really bad luck or something else (possible power surges?).

How are you guys powering the pineapple?

I don't mean to say it is the users fault at all, I hope that this doesn't come across like that.

I would just love to know what the issue is and fix it / warn about it.

Best,

Sebkinne

My Cruzer Fit has been inside the pineapple since I built the first firmware with USB support for it and it still runs just fine.

For those having this issue, try a different USB stick.

Oddly enough there is only a very small percentage of people that have reported this, so the issue is hard to track down.

I'm curious as to what size your Fit is? I"m sure it doesn't matter but maybe there is just a bad batch of the 16gb Fit's. When I talked to SanDisk to get an RMA the guy mentioned they have had "a few" 16gb Fit's exhibit the same issue I had.

It could be the pineapple hardware, really really bad luck or something else (possible power surges?).

How are you guys powering the pineapple?

On the first one I was running it from AC plug out of a APC Smart-UPS 1400 and the second one was from using a fully charged Voltaic V60.

I don't mean to say it is the users fault at all, I hope that this doesn't come across like that.

I would just love to know what the issue is and fix it / warn about it.

Nah, it doesn't come across that way to me...but I really cannot see how I am causing it. I am doing nothing much different than I did with the earlier firmware builds and I had no issue then. The only thing I am really doing different is putting more modules on now since more are available (and no I do not think that has anything to do with it...I am just saying that is really the only thing different I am doing with the new firmware than I did with the old.

Third 16GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit and problems continue ...

157.830000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ath79-ehci

[ 157.980000] scsi0 : usb-storage 1-1:1.0

[ 180.200000] usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ath79-ehci

[ 195.320000] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -145

• 3 weeks later...

I encountered the same problem today. The USB has been in de Pineapple for no more than 12 hours on and off. Today I upgraded to 2.2 and rm -rf'ed everything from the USB to install again. Changed fstab to set the SWAP on the USB's 2nd partition etc.

After reboot it said it was read only and i can't get rid of it...

I had the same with a 8GB cruzer fit as well. It was less than a week old. When it goes into write protect mode, it seems to be stuck. I have tried all partitioning/format tools in both windows/linux to repartition the flash drive and none seem to work. Looking at the forums on the SANDISK website, there lots of threads complaining about the problem but no solutions. It is not just confined to the cruzer fit range. I will be trying to get a replacement

SanDisk Forum

BigScrote

• 7 months later...

I got my Pineapple Elite bundle a couple of days ago, with a 4GB Cruzer Fit. Just partitioned if with two ext4 partitons, and put it in my Pinapple. Shows up as read-only. I then tried it on a linuxbox with parted, also shows up as read-only. Windows says it's write protected. Anybody found a solution to this?

Don't use the Cruzer Fit line... I know it sucks but for some reason they just don't work. I had a 4gb Fit and it went into a write protected mode, I was unable to write or format the drive. I purchased another small usb drive made by verbatim. Its called a Tuff n Tiny lol. Its a tad bigger than the Sandisk, but I haven't had any of the problems I've had with the Sandisk.

I don't have much experience with the Cruzer Fit on the Pineapple, but I use it a lot on a Bootable Linux format. My experience is that it works fine for a while, then it 'disconnects' and can't be read until I power down and up again. Over time, the disconnecting happens sooner and sooner. New drives do the same thing. Maybe I have really bad luck, or maybe Sandisk has a lot of issues. I looked into other flush fit drives, and oddly enough the Sandisk seem the most reliable by far. I think I'll try a flush-fit MicroSD card reader...

I got a 16gb Cruzer Fit for my pineapple for the low profile and such, the same thing happened. Upon investigation I found that it was programmed to fail in the read-only capacity.... Thanks SanDisk now I have to physically melt down this thumbdrive this to securely delete my files.

I never ordered the 4gb one from the hakshop but suspect that SanDisk had the same team of brilliant engineers designing them and always had my eyes set on larger storage for my pineapple.

Ever since I have been using Kingston's DataTraveler 109 without flaw or fail.

I have had both a 16GB and a 4GB fail into read-only mode on me, unable to edit (delete) partitions, format, etc. SanDisk support said they would replace the drive... I thought it was bad enough I couldn't use the USB while Pineapple was powered from the laptop, but both these drives failed after only 2-3 hours of use. Going to try the 3rd out, but will probably get a low-profile Kingston or other brand.