Confidential Whois

thespiritbomber

I'm working on a website and every time I login to my account on domain.com, I'm prompted to buy confidential whois. Is it worth it? Are there any downsides to this besides paying for it?

Are you ok with having that information published on the internet?

Not really, but I head that if you choose to buy the confidential whois, whoever does your hosting technically owns your website. Do you know anything about that?

Edited by tylerscoldrevenge

When you have your info public you may get some physical junk mail.

Other than that I went back to public listing to save me some money.

Edited by brianzimm

Never heard of that. Got any evidence or documentation?

Nope, just something I heard and wanted to check with others to see if they've heard anything similar.

Actually, I just checked the documentation when buying it and read this: "Domain.com, LLC does not have any ownership interest in your specific personal registration information outside of its rights in its Domain Database."

Edited by tylerscoldrevenge

If you have to pay extra for it, move to another host. Dreamhost offers private DNS for free as part of the domain name and most domain names are only $9.99/year. Thats for default .coms, org, net, etc. Exotic domain name TLD's however, cost bit more due to country fees. I never heard of a registrar charging for it though. Should be default on most registrars. By default you should be able to even change any aspect of your Whois info. Even GoDaddy (who I would not recommend to anyone) lets you manually edit your Who is info.

When you have your info public you may get some physical junk mail.

Other than that I went back to public listing to save me some money.

There's that. Also your affiliation with the client may (read: will probably) show up when someone pulls a credit report. IMO, my employer, landlord, bank, et al do not need to know with whom I do business.

If you have to pay extra for it, move to another host. Dreamhost offers private DNS for free as part of the domain name and most domain names are only $9.99/year. Thats for default .coms, org, net, etc. Exotic domain name TLD's however, cost bit more due to country fees. I never heard of a registrar charging for it though. Should be default on most registrars. By default you should be able to even change any aspect of your Whois info. Even GoDaddy (who I would not recommend to anyone) lets you manually edit your Who is info.

Another fun aspect of GoDaddy is that GoDaddy will fine you if someone complains about your fake/inaccurate whois info.

My current registrar is Gandi.net and they have been great; whois privacy is included wrt this thread. I left GoDaddy in a SOPA-induced rage and haven't looked back. Of particular endearment to me was Gandi's No BS policy: https://www.gandi.net/no-bullshit

Too bad I just paid for a year for a domain and hosting on domain.com. I'd switch but it's too troublesome and I just paid like two weeks ago. It's a good suggestion for me to switch but I think I'll stay with domain.com for at least a year and pay my $9 for private whois info. I guess $9 is worth saving the trouble of switching over...

There's that. Also your affiliation with the client may (read: will probably) show up when someone pulls a credit report. IMO, my employer, landlord, bank, et al do not need to know with whom I do business.

Hmm, that's a good point about credit reports.

Another fun aspect of GoDaddy is that GoDaddy will fine you if someone complains about your fake/inaccurate whois info.

My current registrar is Gandi.net and they have been great; whois privacy is included wrt this thread. I left GoDaddy in a SOPA-induced rage and haven't looked back. Of particular endearment to me was Gandi's No BS policy: https://www.gandi.net/no-bullshit

Are you also using Gandi.net for hosting? I too left GoDaddy because of SOPA and went over to domain.com since Hak5 promotes it. I've noticed that you're website is super fast, as is Gandi.net, compared to other websites where I live. However, my website and domain.com loads rather slowly in my part of the world.

Are you also using Gandi.net for hosting? I too left GoDaddy because of SOPA and went over to domain.com since Hak5 promotes it. I've noticed that you're website is super fast, as is Gandi.net, compared to other websites where I live. However, my website and domain.com loads rather slowly in my part of the world.

Nice, and thanks! My hosting is on a server I colo. Just the DNS and SSL certs are through Gandi.

Nice, and thanks! My hosting is on a server I colo. Just the DNS and SSL certs are through Gandi.

Got it. It's nice to go to a website and not have to wait ages for it to load here.

I'm surprised there is internet run to Paper St. You're alone for half a mile in every direction, and you have to shut off the power when it rains ;)

Hahaha, I'm glad someone knows about my location.