What Are Your Thoughts On Digital Recorders.

badbass

I am wondering if anyone has used any digital recorders. Like the ones made by zoom. I play guitar and need to record things I create when I fool around with things. When I make something up I want to play it back to see if it has any substance. Maybe build on it from there. I can't bring the Ubuntu Studio box everywhere. Let me know what you might have done.

Second hand cassette 4 tracks work a treat, are cheap and portable, or invest in a newer digital 8 track with all the bells and whistles. They make them small enough now to fit in a carry on bag, use SD cards for storage and have USB to copy/mix down songs to PC for burning.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=digital+8+track+sd+card&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1436&bih=744&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1106199550601251070&sa=X&ei=ZXqqT6i0M-_46QGDwcHFDg&ved=0CHYQ8wIwAA

I am wondering if anyone has used any digital recorders. Like the ones made by zoom. I play guitar and need to record things I create when I fool around with things. When I make something up I want to play it back to see if it has any substance. Maybe build on it from there. I can't bring the Ubuntu Studio box everywhere. Let me know what you might have done.

I've been playing professionally for 3 decades, and highly recommend the Tascam GT-R1.

Tascam GT-R1

I use this l'il guy when I'm sitting in the living room and don't feel like going into the studio. More like a full-featured "note taker" for when I'm inspired and write a lick, or a song, or a melody, and just want to throw it down so I don't forget it.

It's an incredible little piece of gear that is PACKED with features for it's size:

- A lot of nice effects for both electric and acoustic(a little noisy, but not bad at all!)

- A full rhythm section that you can play over, or have it record to your track

- Overdubbing

- Supports Bass as well (including the effects section)

- Nice stereo "room" mics so you can just record ambient room sound, or plug in and record direct in.

- Uses an SD card

- Records to wav or mp3 (so you can import it directly into whatever DAW you're using if you want to)

- USB port

- Rechargable

etc, etc, etc

For the money it can't be beat, and it sounds like you'd use it exactly as I do. It filled that little gap perfectly as no other device could. It's not a replacement for a studio/DAW, but as a portable device that you can capture inspiration with on the go or without having to recluse yourself to the studio, it's perfect.

Good luck brother, hope this helped!

eta: WOW!!!!! It's down to $149!!!! a STEAL!!

Edited by hfam