Cloud And Document Security

Infatuas

Hey All,

So I've been very frustrated with the amount of documents I have scattered on 3 different machines which include work desktop, work laptop, and home desktop. I decided to install drop box and redirect my user files to this Dropbox folder which seems to work great. Couple of things I'm trying to accomplish in addition to this, but need some input.

1. I would like to use a password manager in tandom with drop box. I know there are some password managers out their that keep the data in a single file or files. The idea would be to put these encrypted password files in my drop box and install the application on all 3 of the above devices. What are the recommendations here for security? Are the password file/db created by the password manager secure enough to upload to Dropbox?

2. Also, my home desktop is actually more of a server with regards to the i7 Extreme, and raid so I'd like to turn it into a viable server. The problem I have is that I have like 200GB of pictures which reside on their and I have our profiles redirected to the raid so there is currently little concern about dataloss. I purchased a laptop for my wife but I'd like to find the best way to "share" those documents without placing the server in a domain and using roaming profiles or something. Maybe a NAS or something would do the trick. I do not have a problem with all of our family photos staying on the laptop as long as I can easily backup her laptop to the new server at home. I really don't like mapped network drives when they are accessed in My Computer so it would be cool to redirect/cache/sync files between her laptop and the local server so if she takes her laptop off site it will not be a problem. Any ideas here?

Thanks!

Instead of using dropbox, which can be hacked by web users wanting to access your stored files, setup a local NFS or NAS/File Server at home, and sync to it instead. Hak5 has done a few episodes here and there on FreeNas and some others.

I'm familiar but the free nas stuff is not streamlined at all. It would need to be accessible externally and it would be just as vulnerable if not more than using dropbox. The only realistic difference would be that Dropbox is moreless in the eye of the public. I tied KeePass and Dropbox together for now..

Depends on point of view guess. If you need remotely accessible files, use a VPN to reach your home network, then everything is encrypted. Drop box from what I recall was vulnerable to attack. Even if the hole is currently plugged for Dropbox, having it all sit on the home network, behind a VPN and firewall, makes me feel a little better about the security, vs some potential 0-day for files located in the cloud. Personally, I trust cloud storage as much as I trust wifi, which is to say I don't trust it at all.

That's not a bad idea actually. I'm running a Fortinet Fortigate at home right now so SSL VPN may be a good idea. Thanks for that. The only thing I like about drop box is that I don't have to "download" the content as I need it. It's already synchronized waiting for me.

That's not a bad idea actually. I'm running a Fortinet Fortigate at home right now so SSL VPN may be a good idea. Thanks for that. The only thing I like about drop box is that I don't have to "download" the content as I need it. It's already synchronized waiting for me.

Well, if you made a share on the NAS for each workstation, and they all save the files in the same share(or mapped drive, however you want to do it), you would have one central location for all files, no syncing needed. In a corporate environment, employees are usually restricted to file shares when logging on to their workstations, with a mapped drive to their share. The user uses it as if its a local folder, but in reality, its located on a remote server. You could do the same thing at home without the need for domain logins, just map the drive on the NAS to each workstation and your good to go.