[feature Request] Ext4 Formating Capabilities

Greetings,

Currently I am using MiniTools for Win XP, but it creates strange ghost partitions when viewed from the pineapple so partitions(drives) are not labeled generically when I try to set it up.

When splitting a 2gb drive into two partitions it displays sda2 - sda4 although they are inaccessible making sda5 my swap. It also displays size available on those partitions as '16.0E'... perhaps my thumbdrive is corrupt.

Can anyone recommend an alternative or is this something the pineapple can do for itself?

Thanks in advance, Synsafe.

Edited by Synsafe

Greetings,

Currently I am using MiniTools for Win XP, but it creates strange ghost partitions when viewed from the pineapple so partitions(drives) are not labeled generically when I try to set it up.

When splitting a 2gb drive into two partitions it displays sda2 - sda4 although they are inaccessible making sda5 my swap. It also displays size available on those partitions as '16.0E'... perhaps my thumbdrive is corrupt.

Can anyone recommend an alternative or is this something the pineapple can do for itself?

Thanks in advance, Synsafe.

Openwrt has a fdisk package in the repository.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have been trying to get my P4 to get along with a new sandisk fit 16gb usb drive.

Initially I used Gparted to format the drive to ext4 in BT5, first partitioning and formating a 14gb primary and 2gb primary ~assigning the swap after plugging into the pineapple. That worked well although for some reason I could not reopen with BT after using the swapon command on the drive with the pineapple.

Noticing, Gparted had an option for creating swap-lunix I next tried using that to format the 2gb swap patrition & it works well although it sometimes takes a reboot for the pineapple to recognize the remaining usb space and the swap drive.

Today I upgraded to 2.10 fw and for some reason upon reconfiguring the pineapple I found although I can see the usb drive listed on the resources tab I cannot properly install any modules to it or even browse it. At first I thought it was a permissions error because when I tried to 'mkdir /usb/modules' it says that it is already there although it does not appear using the 'ls' command

When I try to install modules to it, it appears complete but when I click 'launch' from the web ui the browser seems to endlessly reload the redirect.php...

So now I am looking into fdisk as provided by the opkg module which seems I can only use from the internal memory

I found this and was wondering if the method provided where appropriate for the pineapple;

USB stick in OpenWrt

The walkthru above describes not only hints at a method for formating directly from the pineapple but also how to move the running firmware off of the pineapple to a usb thumbdrive therefore massively expanding the resources available to the pineapple.

My question is this; Can anyone familiar with the pineapples firmware and hardware capabilities give me thumbs up or a thumbs down regarding whether or not this is a wise idea to attempt?

And if I may ask another; should the swap come first in the partitions order as indicated in the link above, could this be why the storage is not properly accessible?

Thanks in advance to anyone whom responds, Synsafe.