Ettercap Crash

thespiritbomber

When I open up ettercap-gtk and choose an interface it crashes. I go to sniff > unified sniffing > wlan1 and then it just crashes. This only happens when I choose wlan1, which is the Alfa from the hackshop. It starts right up if I choose wlan0, which is my internal card. What's up with that?

Turn off your main wireless card WLAN0,

ifconfig wlan0 down

Then connect your Alfa wireless card in and run the command,

iwconfig

It should now display some information about your Alfa card, issue an Ifconfig WLAN0 up to bring your Alfa interface up and then try again, see if that still freezes up.

Actually, I tried ettercap again when I got home just now before I saw your post and it just started working. However, when I use easy-creds, ettercap won't start. It starts everything just fine but the ettercap window pops up for a split second and closes. The last time I used easy-creds everything worked perfect, so I'm not sure what I've changed that's messed things up with ettercap.

I've also noticed that in my Backtrack menu, I have two ettercap-gtk's.

Edited by tylerscoldrevenge

Did you try manually installing ettercap in BT? It should have already been installed in BT by default. You could try updating, see if it fixes the problem (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade). If you have two icons for it, make sure you are running the 0.7.4.1-Lazarus version.

Edited by digip

Okay I'll try that out. So does the Lazarus version just say Lazarus at the top or what? Thanks for your help!

I didn't meant to go and manually install it, I was asking if thats what you did, as it may be why you have two icons for it, but you can try apt-get remove and then apt-get install for it again, see if it fixes the problem. I'm pretty sure they have the latest version in the repo.

I didn't meant to go and manually install it, I was asking if thats what you did, as it may be why you have two icons for it, but you can try apt-get remove and then apt-get install for it again, see if it fixes the problem. I'm pretty sure they have the latest version in the repo.

Sorry, I mean that I'd try updating, not manually installing it. It's weird that I have two icons because I haven't manually installed it so it must have happened another way. It's a fairly fresh install of BT5 so I can't think of anything that would've installed it a second time.

I tried removing ettercap and reinstalling it but it still does the same thing.

Since it's an almost fresh install, I'm just going to reinstall and see what happens.

Not sure if related to your issues, but see this video. Might shed some light on your problems.

Not sure if related to your issues, but see this video. Might shed some light on your problems. http://vimeo.com/36082920

Hmm, thanks for the video. It was pretty interesting. I guess the easiest way to fix my problem is just reinstalling BT5, which worked. I must've screwed it up somehow... Anyways, thanks again.

• 1 month later...