Set Vnc Payload Question/problem

SystemCrash86

In the Social Engineering Toolkit i clone a website and pick the java applet attack and chose option 3 the vnc payload.

Everything works perfect with no errors at all, I have screenshot but the picture is too big to be uploaded but it shows - my backtrack 5 r2 machine and my windows xp virtual machine i get the courtesy shell on my xp machine and in backtrack it tells me that:

[*] Starting local TCP relay on 127.0.0.1:5900...

and thats it - it just hangs there, nothing else happens. I dont know what else to do. All the tutorials i googled and watched on youtube all show this with the vnc server popping up and starting automatically. Did i miss something?

All idea's are very much appreciated. If anyone knows a way for me too add the screenshot then i can actually show you what is happening

Edited by SystemCrash86

I had this problem a while back. If I remember correctly, there are several VNC payloads. The one that acted as a reverse shell (where the client connects back to you and spawns a VNC session) did not work for me either.

There's a payload that spawns a VNC server on the target and allows you to connect to it. Since it sounds like you're working inside of a LAN that might be a better option for you.

I had this problem a while back. If I remember correctly, there are several VNC payloads. The one that acted as a reverse shell (where the client connects back to you and spawns a VNC session) did not work for me either.

There's a payload that spawns a VNC server on the target and allows you to connect to it. Since it sounds like you're working inside of a LAN that might be a better option for you.

Yes its all on the same network - my network, with a backtrack machine and a windows xp virtual machine. How would i get the vnc working then? In the social engineering toolkit after you chose java applet attack and clone the website it gives you a list of payloads and option 3 is the vnc one. I pick that one with no errors and on the virtual machine i get the metasploit courtesy powershell and on my backtrack machine i get some information like the payload is being sent and it hangs at:

[*] Starting local TCP relay on 127.0.0.1:5900...

nothing else happens.

I do have a screenshot but apparently the picture is too large to attach.

Have i got to do something else on the backtrack machine to enable vnc or something? Every tutorial i have seen shows the vnc window pop up automatically in the backtrack machine but mine doesnt. Did i miss a step?