Extending Network

Suren white hat

recently am asked to purchase 25 computers for the new recriuts , the stock has arrived today ...now they are asking me to go ahead to purchase a router and 24 port switch ...and they looking for a new domain too, already we have one domain one router and two 24 port switch and one 8 port switch...! now am gonna create one more domain with new subnet range and i should make the two domain usrs will be able to communicate with one another what is mi next steps to go

consider i have installed OS routers and switchs..!

what things i need to do next !

Sugest me all the steps what u would take !

two domain peoples should able to acess shared drives

group policy should not propogate to Domain 2 from domain 1 . coz we are creaing new policy here

i should go for zone transfer from domain zone 1 to Domain zone 2 to maintain a copy of domain 1 information ?

Tghanks in advance guys

How many users are on the first domain?

Why do they want a new domain for 25 PC's?

first domain we have 50+ Users ...second new domain in the existing forest will have 15 Users at the time of installation and it may grow later...

What is the purpose for the second domain is it at another site?

Do you want to install the new DC into the current forest?

I'm not sure what the setup is or why you need another DC but if you do I would add it to the existing forest as a child domain and then create a different policy for users on that domain.

As for your shared drives, because the new DC is part of the forest you will be able to give permissions to users on a global basis.

It's difficult to know if this will work for you as I'm not sure what the goal is, it sounds like this could all be done with only one domain.

It's difficult to know if this will work for you as I'm not sure what the goal is, it sounds like this could all be done with only one domain.

I'd have to agree, one domain is enough for handling the current number of users your employer has. The school I used to service, had over 100 students and they only had a single domain controller. I think it would be a waste of money for your company to invest into another server.

If they are finding the network performance too slow, you are best off upgrading the server and network gear to new and faster.

You don't put 25 users on a domain, that's what workgroups are for.

Ideally you should have no more than 10 computers in a workgroup anything, above or beyond becomes impractical.

I like everything managed from a central point. Its easy for keeping track of things and as well as helping maintain a secure environment.

Edited by Infiltrator

What is the purpose for the second domain is it at another site?

Do you want to install the new DC into the current forest?

I'm not sure what the setup is or why you need another DC but if you do I would add it to the existing forest as a child domain and then create a different policy for users on that domain.

As for your shared drives, because the new DC is part of the forest you will be able to give permissions to users on a global basis.

Purposse of another domain is to create and maintain higher config machines i7 processor with Auto Cad And Automation Softwares forrDesigners they have recruited buncha engineers to handle those peopls we are abt to create a domain for them...

Coz this team keeps growing

I want to this domain machine as a DC ! does it good idea or shud i maintain separate system fr DC on this new domain coz they are recruting everyday ...so it keeps growing suggest ya

am not creating child domain, i kknow child domain is transitive and the new domain if i create say(rameshwar.net) this will also would be in the same forest so its also transitiv in nature

i want to create a new policy for the designer team yeah the automation designers ...! coz mi firsst domain (factory.com) has lot of policy and different network mappings since this is administrative domain..i need to set up diff policy for General manager, M.D , engineers, R & D , Purchase Dept , Accounts , HR these are the peoples in my first domain

but my second one that am gonnna create which is onli for Designers so thats y decided to create separete domain for that , I don wannna mess yup alllthese bunchas of peoples diggin their head at one domain ...

if some one comes to my place after i resigned the job...he will get annnoyed for the pooor design and accumulative of all objects in a single domain look like mess bro ...

agree @greyhat and gex

since mi Hardware also very basic small business

its HP X3430 Pro liant server

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/HP-ProLiant-ML110-G6-Xeon-X3430-2.4-GHz/2388084.aspx

so thats y i decided to buy new server coz they may recruit more than 100+ designers for their each project

Thanks for your reply guys