Isp Rules

badbass

i am moving to an area that has a different ISP. They are more restrictive. I have a SFTP server setup for off site file backups. I will not use much bandwidth or bother the cap of my new cable Internet provider. I know their thoughts on netflix and xbox. I do this on my current cable Internet provider they do not care.

Are you asking a question, or telling us what you want us to know about your ISP? I fail to see what you need help with?

Not exactly sure, what you are asking or wanting to know? Could you re-phrase your question please?

Merged the two topics. There wasn't a need to make a new one. Check your TOS (Terms of Service) contract. Typically, they are ok with any servers running as long as you do not have financial gain from them. And as long as it doesn't violate any laws or restrictions per your TOS agreement.

Lets try this again. I have a SFTP Server at home. Will this cause a problem with comcast? I know they have a 250 gig bandwidth cap.

They do not block ports if that's what you're asking. If you're worried about violating their TOS just switch to a business account. That will remove a ton of restrictions, possibly even the bandwidth limit (don't remember about this).

Edited by redhook

The do block port 25 but you can always call and they will un-block it.

I ran a Linux and Windows webserver off of my comcast for years. I recently moved them to hoasgator because I didn't want to maintain them anymore.

It is absolutely against there tos but I did it for ages and even told them what I was doing when I called for any reason. They never cared.