Network Security Key Mismatch?

Gunny

Hello,

I am testing different hacking techniques on a wireless WPA2 network using Back Track 5. I succesfully grabbed wpa handshake as well as extract password using aircrack and a dictionary file, but for some reason or another when I enter the key into the password portion when connecting to the wireless router I get back the message "Network Security Key Mismatch". Now this is a test router and I am a certified CEH (which doesn't mean a whole lot I know...) but to continue my education I must first get past this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Gunny

P.S.

I will check back regularly if you any further information is needed.

P.S.S.

Also I apologize if I misplaced this post..wasn't sure if it was suppose to post under questions or hack.

Edited by Gunny

Are you using wicd or manually connecting with wpa_supplicant? I usually skip wicd as it always seems to give me grief and use wpa_supplicant with no issues. I did notice however, that for whatever reason, if an access point is set to N only, and doesn't have B,G or BG mixed mode, backtrack tends to fail to connect and errors out. Not sure if that has been fixed, but I had that problem with my own network in the past and had to drop it to bg mixed mode vs N only for whatever reason.

Make sure you clear /var/lib/dhcp3/*.leases too before trying dhclient though. That also sometimes causes it to fail if there are different subnets already in the file, it tries to reapply the same lease settings from other routers for whatever reason, even after a reboot.

As for your problem, how and where exactly are you putting the password you recovered?

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Moreover, if you are using the WPA encryption, you should be entering the exact clear text pass-phrase you originally configured in the router.

Edit: Make sure the router and client both have the same encryption type, wpa2-psk

Edited by Infiltrator

To answer the first question...I am entering the password exactly how it was put in, and I'm using wpa-psk. The exact match for the router. I have also ran different variations of the passphrase through aircrack just to make sure an error wasn't made in the passphrase, and this comes back with the correct passphrase.

Now for the second question..lol..CEH actually is a good cert but as in all certifications it is the starting point whitch means that it is the basics of hacking, and in all honesty wireless is a category but the test and the class focus more on enterprise hacking (DOS attacks, arp poisining, implementing trojans virus on a network, using viruses to create back doors to networks, etc.) There is only one real section of wireless when I took the class and that was for scanning and identifying wireless networks...not hacking them.

CEH is still a good cert though and I recommend it to anybody who wishes to become better at hacking, but really pen-testing or one of the higher certs is going be better suited for learning more about the wireless hacking aspect becasue it's made to teach you to gain access to networks, whereas CEH teaches you the tools to get into networks.

Digip, I will try your suggestions and see if that works. appreciated the advice. Will update on status once I have tried a few things.

Thanks,

Gunny

Edited by Gunny

"Are you using wicd or manually connecting with wpa_supplicant?"

Sorry forgot to answer this question..I was using wicd to connect to the router. I will try the wpa_suppliant and see if that works for me as well.

Ok ran into a small issue with the WPA_supplicant. One of the inputs needed to run the WPA_supplicant is the psk string. Well I have a .cap file for the router which was obtained through aircrack, however I am not sure how I can extract a psk string from this.

I can always reset the router back to factory default but I would rather figure this out the hard way.

exmp:

# WPA-PSK/TKIP

network={

ssid="Peek-A-Boo"

key_mgmt=WPA-PSK

proto=WPA

pairwise=TKIP

group=TKIP

psk="<mypasskey>" <------- This is where I run into issue...not sure how to extract this key

Thanks for any help,

Gunny

}

no. If you own the router, you know the key. pcap, is only going to show you the handshake which can only be brute forced to get the key. If this was your router(which it seems it is not) you should already know the passphrase by which you would use wpa_passphrase to create your wpa_supplicant conf file. Sounds to me like you're trying to hack someone else's wifi and you never successfully cracked your own password using aircrack and the known passphrase.

LOL...take it easy on me bud...

You caugt me, I don't know crap about WPA_Supplicant (I'm sorta learning it as I go), but I can assure you this is my router and the passphrase just is not working so I really want to figure the problem out instead of just reseting the router back to factory default. Besides if I was hacking someone else's router and i'm not saying I ever did...I would probably shake their hand for giving me such a difficult task.

If you know any .pdf's or online writing about using WPA_Supplicant I am eager to learn it better. Besides we both know that hacking most routers is not that difficult. HELL! I could ask youtube if I really need help in that regard..there is plenty of "how to" back track 5 wireless hacking videos there. I think Hak5 even has a few..lol.

Listen I am not trying to start a trollfest here so I will just stop posting on this matter and try and figure it out on my own..only way I'm gonna learn anyways.

Thanks,

Gunny

Edited by Gunny

LOL...take it easy on me bud...

You caugt me, I don't know crap about WPA_Supplicant (I'm sorta learning it as I go), but I can assure you this is my router and the passphrase just is not working so I really want to figure the problem out instead of just reseting the router back to factory default. Besides if I was hacking someone else's router and i'm not saying I ever did...I would probably shake their hand for giving me such a difficult task.

If you know any .pdf's or online writing about using WPA_Supplicant I am eager to learn it better. Besides we both know that hacking most routers is not that difficult. HELL! I could ask youtube if I really need help in that regard..there is plenty of "how to" back track 5 wireless hacking videos there. I think Hak5 even has a few..lol.

Listen I am not trying to start a trollfest here so I will just stop posting on this matter and try and figure it out on my own..only way I'm gonna learn anyways.

Thanks,

Gunny

Read this thead. I walk through cracking WPA as well as setting up wpa_passphrase/wpa_supplicant - http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=26290

There are lot of tutorials on WEP/WPA cracking out there, but they require the end user to have some knowledge or experience.

The "BackTrack 5 Wireless Penetration Testing", is a well written book and made especially for beginners.

I'd recommend you to buy it and read through it. You will certainly learn a lot from it.