I Can't See The List Of Modules

When I try to view available modules, I get a connection timeout every time. Any ideas?

• Pineapple Hardware Version (ex: Mark III, Mark IV, etc.): Mark IV
  • Pineapple Software Version (ex: Shmoocon Beta, 1.0, etc.): 1.1.1
  • OS used to connect to the pineapple: Backtrack 5 R2
  • Network layout of how your setup is connected (including IP information): Default 172.16.42.1/24
  • All the tools/options that are running on the pineapple when the issue happened: Default
  • Ping results from computer to pineapple: It works!
  • Is the problem repeatable (Yes/No): Yes
  • Steps taken which created the problem: Started and connected to the pineapple.
  • Error Messages: Warning: file_get_contents(http://wifipineapple.com/downloads.php?modulelist) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: Connection ti
  • Log file information: Nothing out of the ordinary, I don't think.
  • Anything else that was attempted to 'fix' the problem: Nothing really. I checked to make sure I have Internet connection and everything else on the pineapple seems to work just fine.

I have had problems with R2 of Backtrack. Works fine with R1. Think it has to do with some of the commands not working in R2 in the wp4.sh script.

I'm having a same problem as tylerscoldrevenge. I each time I click on view modules I got the error below.

What did you do to fix the issue? @tylerscoldrevenge or anyone that might have a solution.

Pineapple Hardware Version: Mark IV

Pineapple Software Version: 1.1.1

OS used to connect to the pineapple: Win 7

Network layout of how your setup is connected: Default 172.16.42.1/24

All the tools/options that are running on the pineapple when the issue happened: Default

Ping results from computer to pineapple: its connected

Is the problem repeatable (Yes/No): Yes

Error Message:

Warning: file_get_contents(http://wifipineapple.com/downloads.php?moduleList) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: Connection timed out in /www/pineapple/modules.php on line 92

I'm having a same problem as tylerscoldrevenge. I each time I click on view modules I got the error below.

What did you do to fix the issue? @tylerscoldrevenge or anyone that might have a solution.

Pineapple Hardware Version: Mark IV

Pineapple Software Version: 1.1.1

OS used to connect to the pineapple: Win 7

Network layout of how your setup is connected: Default 172.16.42.1/24

All the tools/options that are running on the pineapple when the issue happened: Default

Ping results from computer to pineapple: its connected

Is the problem repeatable (Yes/No): Yes

Error Message:

Warning: file_get_contents(http://wifipineapple.com/downloads.php?moduleList) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: Connection timed out in /www/pineapple/modules.php on line 92

I had this same problem im not sure if what i did fixed it or if maybe they fixed it but heres what i did i unplugged the Pineapple from the power jack and replugged it back in waited for the pineapple to have the 3 lights of LAN WLAN and Power lite up and then reconnected to the source that provides the internet in my case it was a public wifi and then re-ran the wp4.sh and was able to get the module list working it appears like another person said your pineapple might not be finding internet with your internet source but i just got my modules working on my pineapple doing what i just said.

I had this same problem im not sure if what i did fixed it or if maybe they fixed it but heres what i did i unplugged the Pineapple from the power jack and replugged it back in waited for the pineapple to have the 3 lights of LAN WLAN and Power lite up and then reconnected to the source that provides the internet in my case it was a public wifi and then re-ran the wp4.sh and was able to get the module list working it appears like another person said your pineapple might not be finding internet with your internet source but i just got my modules working on my pineapple doing what i just said.

guys It's most likely the site that hosts the files is down again it happens from time to time. something Sebkinne will have to look into

I went through most of what you said but as for the command "wp4.sh" since your running the command in the terminal of backtrack will it be the same command in the putty terminal under the win 7 os. When I ran it in putty it gave me the error "root@Pineapple:~# wp4.sh

-ash: wp4.sh: not found"

What's the commands purpose in the first place?

@petertfm its not my first time attempting to connect to see available modules, so I'm guessing the problem is on my side.

Edited by FEARcePREDATOR

I went through most of what you said but as for the command "wp4.sh" since your running the command in the terminal of backtrack will it be the same command in the putty terminal under the win 7 os. When I ran it in putty it gave me the error "root@Pineapple:~# wp4.sh

-ash: wp4.sh: not found"

What's the commands purpose in the first place?

@petertfm its not my first time attempting to connect to see available modules, so I'm guessing the problem is on my side.

the wp4.sh script is for the host operating system and linux only. you need to visit the wiki to see how to setup internet connection sharing under windows, a word of warning if you have a firewall on windows you may need to set the right options to allow ICS

I can confirm that I see modules and can install them.

the wp4.sh script is for the host operating system and linux only. you need to visit the wiki to see how to setup internet connection sharing under windows, a word of warning if you have a firewall on windows you may need to set the right options to allow ICS

I can confirm that I see modules and can install them.

When I received the pineapple about a month ago I set-up the internet sharing within Windows. Do you have to set-up internet sharing after every reboot. I can access the UI of the pineapple through the browser just fine.

When I received the pineapple about a month ago I set-up the internet sharing within Windows. Do you have to set-up internet sharing after every reboot. I can access the UI of the pineapple through the browser just fine.

hmmm no only unless a setting got changed in windows somehow

have you tried reflashing the pineapple?

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

The WP4.sh is not the problem. It's the network manager. Click on the network manager, disable your LAN card, run script, profit.

Mr. Protocol, I tried that but when I disable the LAN card, I can't ping the pineapple when I run the script.

Here's exactly what I'm doing:

1. Connect to my wireless router and verify that I can get online using wlan0 (or wlan1, depending on what I'm using). IP address: 192.168.1.110

2. Start up the pineapple plugged into eth0. Reverify that I can still get online using wlan0.

3. Run ./wp4.sh entering all the defaults:

Netmask 255.255.255.0

Pineapple Network: 172.16.42.0/24

PC and Pineapple Interface: eth0

PC and Internet Interface: wlan0

Internet Gateway 192.168.1.1 (my wireless router)

Host PC IP: 172.16.42.42 (I assumed it would be 192.168.1.110 but when I set it to that, I can't ping the pineapple)

Pineapple IP: 172.16.42.1

It looks like everything sets up correctly. I can connect to the pineapple just fine.

4. Click on Modules and then Show for available fusions.

5. Wait about ten years to finally get a timeout warning.

So, am I not setting something up correctly? I've tested that the pineapple can in fact connect to the Internet through my PC. I enabled Karma to test it out and both wifi enabled devices were able to connect wirelessly through the pineapple to the Internet.

I'm not in the USA, so could that somehow cause a problem? wifipineapple.com loads up just fine.

Edit: Okay, so I just wrote all of that out so I don't want to delete it but I think I figured out my problem right after I posted. I tried to go to the URL for the module list and it looks like it's getting something from Dropbox. Dropbox is blocked in the country I live in, so I guess that's my problem. Is there another way to get modules that doesn't use Dropbox? I could use a VPN but I've had a lot of trouble setting up a VPN in BT5. Does anyone know of a not too difficult way to set up a PPTP VPN in BT5? Also, I should mention, I'm using KDE not Gnome. I noticed that Darren has a video for setting up a VPN in Gnome but not KDE. Maybe, I'll just have to make the switch back to Gnome...

Thanks again everyone!

Edited by tylerscoldrevenge

I believe the hosting is in the middle of a transition. So getting modules will currently be not available.

Do you mean they're moving away from using dropbox?

Is there an alternative way to get these modules? I've been working on getting a VPN setup on Backtrack 5 all day but I can't get network-manager-gnome to connect to anything. I mean, I can't even connect through my ethernet adapter... I can get to dropbox from my apple laptop and my windows box so I guess if I absolutely have to, I might set up ICS on my Windows box and try to get to the modules from there. It's such a pain...

I'm trying to narrow down my exact problem and would like to ask what exactly happens when I click the module button? Does the pineapple just try to access "http://wifipineapple.com/downloads.php?modulelist" or does something else happen that I'm not seeing? Does it try to access something online that might be blocked in my area of the world? I live behind the Great Firewall if you know what I mean...

I think the connectivity issue has something to do with the removal of non standard modules. When I flash the pineapple with the ultra quick start command connectivity is regained, the upgrade and module pages display normally.

Here is a link to the modules.php as stored on github;

https://github.com/sebkinne/wifipineapple/blob/master/pineapple/modules.php

The new firmware which is coming soon will have a different setup of how the module backend works.

I am sure it will solve your great problem.

Awesome, I just upgraded and you're right it did solve my problem! Thanks!

I'm on v2.0.0.0 and now i'm getting a error

Warning: file_get_contents() [function.file-get-contents]: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

in /www/pineapple/modules.php on line 92

Warning: file_get_contents(http://cloud.wifipineapple.com/mk4/downloads.php?moduleList) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: Address family not supported by protocol in /www/pineapple/modules.php on line 92

• 3 weeks later...

I had this problem the other day - quick power cycle of my lapo is what fixed it. No clue why...but it did

Pragmatism ftw!

telot