[feature Request] Ap Mode

cutaway

I understand the primary functionality of WifiPinapple is to attract clients. I think what would make this even more powerful is if the device supported a mode where it functioned as an actual Access Point that supports Open/WEP/WPA2-PSK/WPA2-Enterprise. I am most interested in the WPA2-Enterprise so that I can have one device that performed client attacks but also allowed me to leverage when doing assessments of PEAP implementations. Having the WPA2-Enterprise mode would allow us to point the authentication to a FreeRADIUS-WPE server. It could even just allow us to use it as a normal AP when necessary.

Also, being able to adjust the TX/RX power so that we can be the strongest AP in a location would also be helpful when assessing Enterprise solutions.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Don

I understand the primary functionality of WifiPinapple is to attract clients. I think what would make this even more powerful is if the device supported a mode where it functioned as an actual Access Point that supports Open/WEP/WPA2-PSK/WPA2-Enterprise. ... It could even just allow us to use it as a normal AP when necessary.

Also, being able to adjust the TX/RX power so that we can be the strongest AP in a location would also be helpful when assessing Enterprise solutions.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Don

Mine acts as a wireless bridge/access point right out of the box. I hooked the PoE LAN adaptor to my network and it acts as a wireless transparent bridge when I connect to it using the provided SSID (Karma off). I even had network access out of my router and a DHCP address assigned my it. BUT, because I haven't adjusted my address space (yet) I couldn't browse to the UI until I manually set the IP on the netbook in the 172.16.42.0/24 range... Granted it doesn't do all of the WEP/WPA2 stuff but AFAIK you can't spoof a WPA2 encrypted station anyway due to the encryption. Now... if you want it to do WPA2 stuff to set your own AP with it (and NOT spoof), that would take some development work but nothing too difficult since it's already been done on tons of other platforms.

AFAIK the MKIV model has lower xmit pwr than the MKIII due to a limitation in the new hardware... I think I read somewhere that 20dBm (100mW) was the highest power it could safely do without harming the chipset, My unmodded linksys G router does 15dBm which is about 32mW and I can pick it up 2 houses down the street with a 7dBi antenna. I wouldn't want to cook it by overdriving the xmit pwr.

Those are my thoughts, I don't claim they're better than the next guy (or gal)...

TomCat

Edited by TomCat

TX power of the AP-51 (Mark III) is 20dBm±2dBm according to spec.

TX Power of Mark IV is 18.5±1 according to spec. on the hornet page.

AP121U TX Power is 20dBm±2dBm

So I'd say the TX power of Mark III and IV are the same. AP121U use the Hornet board.

Cool. Don't know why I thought it was much higher... I have a couple of UBNT AirGrid Ms and they can do 200mW at 5.75gHz with a 30 degree beamwidth, can shoot a signal a long way if you can get good LOS. Was thinking MKIIIs did 200mW for some reason...

The only issue I know about with increasing pwr is if you have a client using 32mW and we're putting out 100mW on the pineapple, the client will be able to hear the pineapple, but we won't hear the client if they're out past the range the client can cover, but I think Darren's yagi would be able to pull them in. IMO 100 mW is plenty for most testing.

Thanks for the clarification on the tx pwr.

TomCat