Cant Get To A Ip (webpage) But Others Can.

badbass

Here is one of those questions. I cant access my web host from home. I tried 3 computers. Here is where it gets interesting. I can get to it via At&t and Verizon cell phones. I can from my Isp at the office. The wifi hotspot downtown. It even works at one of my neighbors. Any Ideas.

Here is one of those questions. I cant access my web host from home. I tried 3 computers. Here is where it gets interesting. I can get to it via At&t and Verizon cell phones. I can from my Isp at the office. The wifi hotspot downtown. It even works at one of my neighbors. Any Ideas.

Can you access the website/webhost if you use the direct IP address?

Do some command-line Fu and see if you can pull a DNS resolve.

Are you using a different DNS in your router/NIC settings?

What is the OS you can't reach it from, and what is the IP of the host in question. If its XP and the host is in a subnet its TCP stack can't handle with respect to the subnet mask, then it could be an issue (example, website IP addresses last octet ends in 255, windows XP will think its a broadcast address and won't connect to it - ie something like 202.55.69.255) . I actually had this problem with my own website, everyone under the sun could reach it, but my mother couldn't. I went through everything I could think of, until I realized, it was a combination of the IP addresses used by Dreamhost for the server and subnet mask, and the OS my mother used, which was Windows XP. I ended up having Dreamhost move me to a different server, where the IP was in a different range, and that seemed to fix the problem for her.This does not mean its the same problem you are having, but something to look into.

Could also be your DNS server from your ISP, or your DNS was hijacked on the router itself. Try switching to OpenDNS, and see if that resolves the issue. If not, would need to know more about your network and the specific OS having the issues. It could just be your ISP is blocked by your host company, or you inadvertently blocked your own home IP from your own site.

Edited by digip

How did you change the Mac? I was under the impression that routers had hard coded Mac addresses which could not be changed... You probably grabbed a new DNS server down from the ISP when you renewed your lease and got a new ip.

Most routers have whats calle "MAC address clone" because some ISP's only allow one known MAC address they authorize, and usually they want this to be your PC's mac address. I spoof mine all the time, to get a new IP address from Comcast all the time. Internally, your router will tell your PC it has the same MAC, which is its burned in address, but externally on the WAN side, you can spoof it all day long. Just depends on the type of router but everyone I ever messed with, has this feature.

Edited by digip

Yeah There are a few ways to do this one complain to the isp that your cable modem is not working. Or Linksys routers can clone Mac addresses and some will let you put one in. Or you can Change the router. Not as big a deal as it seems. But this messes with the teaching theory that a mac address is solid like a physical building address or Vin number. Oh well.

Yeah, I just change my MAC address on the router, then reboot the modem and since it sees a new MAC address, its forced to a new IP lease. If the MAC were the same after a modem reboot, so long as its within the lease limit, it will give you the same IP. Most default to 15 minutes, but some leases are longer. On the router, it usually says 1 day lease, but if its not seen every 15 minutes, it removes you from that address and puts it back in its pool for someone else.