Ap51 Baseboard

Vulture

I already have a pineapple from hak5 shop but was looking to do some additional development and need a spare. I already have the alfa serial cable so my question is, is the mark Iv built on the ap51 board or the newer http://www.data-alli...9331/Detail.bok board? It looks to be the newer board.

Vulture the mark 4 is the hornet board and has a different atheros chipset as well as 400mhz, the mark 4 stays much cooler compared to mark 3

Hi Guys

I don't know where you are based but here in the UK there is a supplier with stock of the Mark IV hardware, both barebones and in housing:

http://www.crucialwifi.co.uk/index.aspx?pageid=740999&chainID=79144&txtQuickSearch=Atheros+AR9331

If you are in the UK it saves on customs - but you will have to update firmware and you don't get the neat network cable and Hak5 stickers.

Edited by If I Had A Monkey

Hi Guys

I don't know where you are based but here in the UK there is a supplier with stock of the Mark IV hardware, both barebones and in housing:

http://www.crucialwifi.co.uk/index.aspx?pageid=740999&chainID=79144&txtQuickSearch=Atheros+AR9331

If you are in the UK it saves on customs - but you will have to update firmware and you don't get the neat network cable and Hak5 stickers.

only problem is that they are not selling them yet, i have contacted them by mail, and they still need final aproval to sell them.

A quick message to inform all of you waiting for the AP121 or Hornet.....We are just waiting for the CE Certification from Alfa Network....this could be a matter of days or weeks

The good news is we do have the items in Stock.........5 of Each Unit ,the bad We can not distribute them within the EU until we have CE certification

Regards

CrucialWiFi

Edited by httpCRASH

• 3 weeks later...

only problem is that they are not selling them yet, i have contacted them by mail, and they still need final aproval to sell them.

A quick message to inform all of you waiting for the AP121 or Hornet.....We are just waiting for the CE Certification from Alfa Network....this could be a matter of days or weeks

The good news is we do have the items in Stock.........5 of Each Unit ,the bad We can not distribute them within the EU until we have CE certification

Regards

CrucialWiFi

Just to follow on from this CrucialWifi are now selling the AP121U and Hornet as they have both finally received CE certification. Unfortunately, however, the official UART Console cable from Alfa is not CE certified so you can't get it in the EU (I checked with CrucialWifi if it was available and that was their reply). Which sucks. So a different option for flashing the boards via a console cable will be needed for UK/EU users who go this route instead of buying from the hakshop.

Just to follow on from this CrucialWifi are now selling the AP121U and Hornet as they have both finally received CE certification. Unfortunately, however, the official UART Console cable from Alfa is not CE certified so you can't get it in the EU (I checked with CrucialWifi if it was available and that was their reply). Which sucks. So a different option for flashing the boards via a console cable will be needed for UK/EU users who go this route instead of buying from the hakshop.

Any USB-UART 3.3v adapter will work.

some stores ship routers to the UK for around 16$ if you ask them, dont know if that is out of your price range, i bought a few things from Spain and it wasnt expensive

the MK4 is a Hornet-UB PCB and the full router is the AP121U

Edited by Arch_Angel

I think some people have been able to flash the hornet-ub boards (ones with openWRT already installed) by simply using the update feature already installed in the firmware.

I think some people have been able to flash the hornet-ub boards (ones with openWRT already installed) by simply using the update feature already installed in the firmware.

I am not sure the Hornet-UB come with openwrt on them stock. I know my didn't. If it already has openwrt you can just scp and run the update.

I am not sure the Hornet-UB come with openwrt on them stock. I know my didn't. If it already has openwrt you can just scp and run the update.

I saw on the site that sells to northamerica they have 2 versions one with openWRT and one with Alfa firmware.

I think when you buy just the pcb you get nothing pre-installed.

Edited by petertfm

I saw on the site that sells to northamerica they have 2 versions one with openWRT and one with Alfa firmware.

and I think when you buy just the pcb you get nothing pre-installed.

The alfa firmware is openWRT.

That's what I was talking about, the PCB comes with nothing. The AP121U (Fully cased router) comes with the openWRT on it.

Or you can visit www.hakshop.com and buy one already made up for you, ready to use :D.

This is correct. You can flash the OpenWrt Hornet using the following steps after it boots up:

1. ssh as root to the default gateway (DHCP is enabled by default)
  2. there is no password set so issue the "passwd" command.
  3. Start dropbear: "/etc/init.d/dropbear start"
  4. scp over the firmware to /tmp/
  5. execute "sysupgrade -n -v /tmp/upgrade.bin"