16gb Cruzer

TomCat

BLUF: Added a 16GB Cruzer with 3 partitions. 1 for logging/extending my pineapple, 1 for storage of Mods, 1 for swap.

Bought a 16GB Cruzer at the local wally world the other day and partitioned it so I could have a big partition to work with the pineapple, a partition to store mods, scripts, and other stuff, and a decent sized swap partition. I used Darren's tutorials as a basis. The big partition is 12 Gig, I made the second partition 2 Gig and I think the swap part is 1 Gig. I know there's a little extra unused space on it but it'll serve its purpose. I remember playing with Sun Sparc 10s that had 4GB SCSI drives; 12 Gigs is a LOT of space. Here's the USB config from my pineapple:

config global automount
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_mount 1

config global autoswap
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_swap 0

config mount
       option target   /usb
       option device   /dev/sda1
       option fstype   ext4
       option options  rw,sync
       option enabled  1
       option enabled_fsck 0

config mount
       option target   /usb2
       option device   /dev/sda2
       option fstype   ext4
       option options  rw,sync
       option enabled  1
       option enabled_fsck 0

config swap
       option device   /dev/sda3
       option enabled  1

I don't know how much power draw this Cruzer pulls, but I don't intend on running the pinapple POE.

BLUF: Added a 16GB Cruzer with 3 partitions. 1 for logging/extending my pineapple, 1 for storage of Mods, 1 for swap.

Bought a 16GB Cruzer at the local wally world the other day and partitioned it so I could have a big partition to work with the pineapple, a partition to store mods, scripts, and other stuff, and a decent sized swap partition. I used Darren's tutorials as a basis. The big partition is 12 Gig, I made the second partition 2 Gig and I think the swap part is 1 Gig. I know there's a little extra unused space on it but it'll serve its purpose. I remember playing with Sun Sparc 10s that had 4GB SCSI drives; 12 Gigs is a LOT of space. Here's the USB config from my pineapple:

config global automount
   	option from_fstab 1
   	option anon_mount 1

config global autoswap
   	option from_fstab 1
   	option anon_swap 0

config mount
   	option target   /usb
   	option device   /dev/sda1
   	option fstype   ext4
   	option options  rw,sync
   	option enabled  1
   	option enabled_fsck 0

config mount
   	option target   /usb2
   	option device   /dev/sda2
   	option fstype   ext4
   	option options  rw,sync
   	option enabled  1
   	option enabled_fsck 0

config swap
   	option device   /dev/sda3
   	option enabled  1

I don't know how much power draw this Cruzer pulls, but I don't intend on running the pinapple POE.

sorry I noticed that

option anon_swap 0

is set to 0? is swap working?

cool, I never thought of making a third partition.

sorry I noticed that

option anon_swap 0

cool, I never thought of making a third partition.

No worries.

It appears to me that it is, check out this copy-paste from my resources page:

Up Time

00:02:11 up 2 min,  load average: 0.72, 0.35, 0.14

Free Memory

total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:         29532        24852         4680            0         3216
-/+ buffers:              21636         7896
Swap:       931764            0       931764

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches Experimental

Disk Usage

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                    1.1M    256.0K    832.0K  24% /
/dev/root                 5.0M      5.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    14.4M     88.0K     14.3M   1% /tmp
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock3            1.1M    256.0K    832.0K  24% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay        1.1M    256.0K    832.0K  24% /
/dev/sda1                11.8G    158.5M     11.1G   1% /usb
/dev/sda2                 2.0G     67.0M      1.8G   3% /usb2
/dev/mtdblock7            5.0M      5.0M         0 100% /mnt/mtdblock7

USB

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0781:5530 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer

I'll have to look up what "option anon_swap 0" does, but I think when set to true that it makes all usage of the swap partition anonymous on a multi-user system machine.

Oh, and I forgot to add, the third partition makes for a great place to store stuff so it isn't floating around on the netbook or on the Droid that I use to log onto the pineapple. Nice to have one place to store everything...

How do you like that drive? I ordered a 16GB DataTraveler Micro the other day. Buy.com has them on sale for under $12!

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=227277954

I think I paid 22 bucks for it, but I didn't have to pay for s&h and I didn't have to wait till I get home to use it. Was on a business trip and then had a death in the family... Haven't had a lot of time to play with the pineapple yet but have flashed it to 1.1.1, changed the default SSID, root password and hostname... Also rooted around the file system to see where things are stored and what makes it tick...

So far I like the Cruser, it's what I would call full size and a bit awkward but it works and that's what counts. :) There are a ton of options on storage.

Did you get your drive yet, or are you still waiting?

sorry I noticed that

option anon_swap 0

As a follow-up, From the OpenWRT Wiki:

Autoswap
There is one global section named autoswap which defines the hotplug auto swap behaviour.

This example is included by default:

config 'global' 'autoswap'
        option 'from_fstab' '1'
        option 'anon_swap' '0'
The autoswap section contains these settings:

Name	 Type	 Required	 Default	 Description
from_fstab	 boolean	 no	1	 Whether to use swap sections when doing hotplug swap on
anon_swap	 boolean	 no	0	 When using hotplug swapon, whether to automatically swapon devices not defined in a swap section

Source: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/fstab

So I was wrong on my earlier thought, but since I have a swap defined, it works. If I changed the anon_swap to 1 and did NOT define the swap at sda3, then it would create the swap automagically.

As a follow-up, From the OpenWRT Wiki:

Autoswap
There is one global section named autoswap which defines the hotplug auto swap behaviour.

This example is included by default:

config 'global' 'autoswap'
        option 'from_fstab' '1'
        option 'anon_swap' '0'
The autoswap section contains these settings:

Name     Type     Required     Default     Description
from_fstab     boolean     no	1     Whether to use swap sections when doing hotplug swap on
anon_swap     boolean     no	0     When using hotplug swapon, whether to automatically swapon devices not defined in a swap section

Source: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/fstab

So I was wrong on my earlier thought, but since I have a swap defined, it works. If I changed the anon_swap to 1 and did NOT define the swap at sda3, then it would create the swap automagically.

cool find. so we can skip the mkswap command and just reboot after changing fstab.

ps I am using the sandisk cruzer fit 16gig, 2gig's for swap the rest for storage and stuff;-) I feel the usb drive on the mark 4 is a must and hope that many things can be offloaded or require it in future firmware. I would rather wear out a usb drive's 4+ gig flash apposed to the 1+ MB left on the pineapple. stuff like logs /www/pineapple/logs/urlsnarf.log write to flash after every change btw one visit to a site could invoke 10's of entries

cool find. so we can skip the mkswap command and just reboot after changing fstab.

ps I am using the sandisk cruzer fit 16gig, 2gig's for swap the rest for storage and stuff;-) I feel the usb drive on the mark 4 is a must and hope that many things can be offloaded or require it in future firmware. I would rather wear out a usb drive's 4+ gig flash apposed to the 1+ MB left on the pineapple. stuff like logs /www/pineapple/logs/urlsnarf.log write to flash after every change btw one visit to a site could invoke 10's of entries

Would really be sweet if it had an available micro SD slot in it. Wally World was carrying a 16GB microSD for 22 bucks today.

I'd like to move all logging off of the pineapple and onto the USB... When I get home I'll be tinkering with it. All of my good tools are at home.

Would really be sweet if it had an available micro SD slot in it. Wally World was carrying a 16GB microSD for 22 bucks today.

I'd like to move all logging off of the pineapple and onto the USB... When I get home I'll be tinkering with it. All of my good tools are at home.

I've already posted on here how to do that ;-)

http://forums.hak5.o...ndpost&p=199428

Edited by petertfm