What Is A Md5sum?

cody t

when trying to re-flash my pineapple I get the note "Error, Md5Sum does not match!"... what is this? why? i have no idea what an md5sum is, someone please explain!!!! pleaseeeee

you need to search it online. there are tools that you can install to find the md5 but wherever you got the firmware it should state the md5 there.....

Do not just use the MD5 given on the download page.

I would encourage you to run md5sum (linux) or get a free Windows program to check the MD5 of the file and use the hash it supplies. That will avoid the brick and many headaches for you.

While I usually wouldn't contradict what an Admin especially Mr-Protocol is saying, I would think that using the hash from the download page would be the best method. If you were to MD5 hash the file on your local machine it would only be checking the file consistency between the pineapple and your PC. Using the hash from the downloads page ensures there is no corruption between the Server and the PC as well.

I believe Mr-Protocol is saying do not JUST use the MD5 hash on the downloads site, you can also verify it on your PC side prior to risking the upload if the pineapple lets it pass.

Entering the hash in the space provided below the upload ensures that the file you are uploading is in fact the file that the original poster uploaded. When dealing with firmwares like this even an extra bit on the header or footer of the file would mean a bricked router.

Do not just use the MD5 given on the download page.

I would encourage you to run md5sum (linux) or get a free Windows program to check the MD5 of the file and use the hash it supplies. That will avoid the brick and many headaches for you.

If only I would have seen this before:(... i think my device is bricked, i cannot connect to it, at all, not even get the the control panel, access denied it says:( could you provide me with a link that would assist me in unbricking my pineapple?

If only I would have seen this before:(... i think my device is bricked, i cannot connect to it, at all, not even get the the control panel, access denied it says:( could you provide me with a link that would assist me in unbricking my pineapple?

What do the lights look like? Have you tried holding the reset button for 8 seconds? Search the forum for reset pineapple I am sure there is a bunch here. Never had to do it myself.

While I usually wouldn't contradict what an Admin especially Mr-Protocol is saying, I would think that using the hash from the download page would be the best method. If you were to MD5 hash the file on your local machine it would only be checking the file consistency between the pineapple and your PC. Using the hash from the downloads page ensures there is no corruption between the Server and the PC as well.

I believe Mr-Protocol is saying do not JUST use the MD5 hash on the downloads site, you can also verify it on your PC side prior to risking the upload if the pineapple lets it pass.

Entering the hash in the space provided below the upload ensures that the file you are uploading is in fact the file that the original poster uploaded. When dealing with firmwares like this even an extra bit on the header or footer of the file would mean a bricked router.

You are missing the point of the MD5 hash then. If you DL the file and it gets corrupted and you just use the site's hash, it will do a bad flash = brick.

If you use a generated MD5 after download, you have no chance to brick. Checking file consistency between the pineapple's "Database" and your PC is what we want to happen, as with any downloaded MD5 hash file. To make sure they are the same. Using the hash from the DLs page does NOT "ensure there is no corruption".

If you own a UART cable I can walk you through it.

If you own a UART cable I can walk you through it.

I do not:/ but in my case im guessing ill have to buy one...could you provide me with a link to the one required, when searching I noticed several different types. then maybe next week of sometime when I get my hands on one I could direct message you about this matter? it would be greatly appreciated Mr. Protocol!

I do not:/ but in my case im guessing ill have to buy one...could you provide me with a link to the one required, when searching I noticed several different types. then maybe next week of sometime when I get my hands on one I could direct message you about this matter? it would be greatly appreciated Mr. Protocol!

I use the Alfa Console board. But there are other cheaper ones out there. Anything USB to UART

Posted · Hidden by cody t, April 19, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by cody t, April 19, 2012 - No reason given

I use the Alfa Console board. But there are other cheaper ones out there. Anything USB to UART

just making sure before I buy... would this work?

You are missing the point of the MD5 hash then. If you DL the file and it gets corrupted and you just use the site's hash, it will do a bad flash = brick.

If you use a generated MD5 after download, you have no chance to brick. Checking file consistency between the pineapple's "Database" and your PC is what we want to happen, as with any downloaded MD5 hash file. To make sure they are the same. Using the hash from the DLs page does NOT "ensure there is no corruption".

I think what Vulture meant was the pineapple does a check of the md5 and then checks it against the one provided by the user in the text box, no match no upgrade.

Sorry to chime in here, but I should clarify the MD5sum in terms of flashing.

On the download page I will supply the MD5 of the firmware. That is the hash the firmware should have.

It should have it:

-On our servers

-On our computers

-On the pineapple

What the pineapple does, is it md5s the uploaded firmware and checks it against the one you supplied in the text box for it.

So that means, you NEED to take the one I supply and not any other as if you take one that you generate yourself, and your download has been corrupt, well, you will have a brick.

This method decreases peoples brick chance greatly. It does not however work 100%ly as an anti brick measure.

Best,

Sebkinne

I don't mind the question about the MD5 being broken or how to fix it but coming in with "i have no idea what an md5sum is, someone please explain!!!!" is wrong. People should do some reading first and at least start with "I've read about MD5s but don't fully understand this bit...."

Sorry to chime in here, but I should clarify the MD5sum in terms of flashing.

On the download page I will supply the MD5 of the firmware. That is the hash the firmware should have.

It should have it:

-On our servers

-On our computers

-On the pineapple

What the pineapple does, is it md5s the uploaded firmware and checks it against the one you supplied in the text box for it.

So that means, you NEED to take the one I supply and not any other as if you take one that you generate yourself, and your download has been corrupt, well, you will have a brick.

This method decreases peoples brick chance greatly. It does not however work 100%ly as an anti brick measure.

Best,

Sebkinne

Ah, I see how it's done now. I thought it was going out to the cloud for the hash and checking against what you put in as the hash you downloaded.

Sick + Tired = !logic

Ah, I see how it's done now. I thought it was going out to the cloud for the hash and checking against what you put in as the hash you downloaded.

Sick + Tired = !logic

Yeah, I got stumbled once too. Was thinking wtf, this MD5 and my upgrade didn't work until I realized I need to calculate the MD5 for the binary, copy that sum to the field verification and then press Upgrade button LOL.

Again,

You do not really need to download any checker or do anything but copy my MD5. The pineapple will do the rest.

If the file corrupts anywhere during the transfer (server to your pc, pc to pineapple) it will give you an error.

Best,

Sebkinne