Ups Not Working With My Generator

proskater123

So I have a generator that I installed and hooked it into my building on a separate circuit. What I plan to do for now till I get an automatic transfer switch is when my power goes out, to unplug m ups and plug it into the outlet ran to my generator. But right now when I plug the ups into that outlet it doesn't register that its plugged in. I'm sure its because the line is dirty or fluctuating but if I insert a line conditioner between the generator and the ups would that work or is there something else that would work. Hooking my computer straight to the generator works perfectly but I'm sure its not good.

If you are still having problems look into putting a good Isolation Transformer with a built in power conditioner between your generator and UPS.

Also I can not stress enough when wring in a generator to double check your grounding. Even if you completely set aside the safety aspects you will have nothing but trouble if you have flakey/incorrect/no ground with a generator.

Edited by lostngone

I don't know what type of generator you have, but you should look into Pure Since Generators, some Generators have a modified sine wave which won't run certain electronics, because of the voltage fluctuation.

Does the battery backup work when plugged into a regular wall outlet? Make sure the battery inside is connected properly.

Edited by digip

Yes the Ups works. Its an apc smart series ups.

....your typical generator will not power a UPS. the problem is with the HZ or frequency of the power the generator is producing. Electric coming from the power company is nice and stable at 60HZ, but the power being produced by a generator is all over the board.

A UPS expects this frequency to be 60 HZ and thinks there is a power or wiring problem if it is not.

Something I just found: http://www.tech-army.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1129

Reading further, might not be enough power from your generator to make the UPS think its charging, and thus makes it run in battery mode only.

Edited by digip

Something I just found: http://www.tech-army.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1129

Reading further, might not be enough power from your generator to make the UPS think its charging, and thus makes it run in battery mode only.

That's where I was trying to get at. And that proves my point. Nice find Digip.

Yes digip thats the link I quoted above. Now I just need to figure out how to set this up so that way i can still use the generator and ups without the server shutting down. hmmm <_<

My bad, totally missed the link in your other post. Might need a different UPS from what the thread said, or more powerful generator but the combo you have doesn't seem like its a fit.