Wpa-psk/wpa2 Dictionary Help

Skorpinok Rover

Hello, i use backtrack 5r2, while cracking WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK, the dictionary has no required password in it, is there any other method to crack ? or any dictionary available online ? i used reaver once but it failed, please suggest if have any idea, thanks in advance..

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Reaver also sometimes requires some tweaking, I found one access point (can’t remember the model etc) that locked out for 5 minutes after 3 wrong attempts, took me almost a week to crack it, I had to put waits per 3 attempts and pauses between each attempts, but I have also found some will allow the “ignore lockouts” switch.

Also have a look at the work done by Matt Weir, look at his Defcon and Shmoocon talks over the last few years, and his website has a few JTR rules for more “user” type password mangles, and from that information build your own dictionary.

Like Matt I have found most dictionaries found on the interwebs are full of crap and duplicate entries. Download a simple dictionary file from a site http://wordlist.sourceforge.net/ and then mangle it with JTR, eg add 01 to 99 to the end, or a list of year from say 1930 to 2012 etc.

Most admins know users have passwords like soccer11, welcome1, bear2009, or if it’s a company you made need to look at a more complicated mangle such as N1pp0n, but start with easiest first.

It takes time, patience and a bit of thinking, which is the difference between a successful pentester and a script kiddie, in my humble opinion.

I should add that if the access point was supplied by a telco such as Bigpond, the WPA key is a hashed mash of the serial number and the MAC address, there are plenty of tools for the old Thompson router/Modems, but they changed the formula for the 2Wire and netcomm’s , and those that have worked it out are keeping that information close to their chest, so in other words you may be in for a long wait, or boned.

Edited by oxley

It takes time, patience and a bit of thinking, which is the difference between a successful pentester and a script kiddie, in my humble opinion.

You are definitely right and that's exactly how I implemented my dictionary files.