Problem With Awus036h

bobmars1260

Hello,

I am having trouble with an Alfa USB AWUS036H network adapter.

It functions, but is extremely slow resolving DNS and downloading sites.

I have the same problem under Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS and BackTrack 5R2.

I am using a Dell Latitude c620 laptop, with 256MB of ram.

The network adapter runs quite well under Win XP SP3.

Under Linux, my Linksys WRT54g router running DD-WRT in client mode out paces the AWUS036H by a long shot.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Bob

It could be two things, the drivers you are using or the AP you are connected to.

Do you have another AP you could test as well?

• 2 weeks later...

Try this.

That will increase the output power to 500mW from 100mW. For some reason it defaults to 100mW every time it is initialized under Linux.

I have noticed that increasing txpower actually makes it worse if you are to close to the access point. I lowered mine to 36mW and actually saw improvement. Increasing the txpower in a situation where its un-necessary can leave you open for added interference. I went from 9Mbps to about 13Mbps by lowering the txpower from 20dB to 15dB. However, the internal card regularly hits 25Mbps+.

I would only ramp up the txpower if you want to hit an access point that’s far away. If you set the regulation country you have to do it at every boot. The driver is suppose to regulate its own txpower based on the connection strength but I don't think it does.

I was actually quite disappointed when I saw how bad the performance was. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I found out how far I could see access points. I guess its a trade off.

"I am using a Dell Latitude c620 laptop, with 256MB of ram."

I think that might be more an issue than anything, just for slowness of the OS vs the card itself, but even still, could be other things going on.

Does the access point you are connecting to use B+G mixed mode? If so, set the AP to G only, see if that helps. If not, manually set the card speed to 54mb, see what happens.

iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M

I think that might be more an issue than anything, just for slowness of the OS vs the card itself, but even still, could be other things going on.

Does the access point you are connecting to use B+G mixed mode? If so, set the AP to G only, see if that helps. If not, manually set the card speed to 54mb, see what happens.

iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M

The system I am using this on is a Dell Mini 10v with an Atom 1.667 dual core, 2Gb of ram and openSUSE 12.1 w/ KDE 4.8.3. and I am experiencing the same problem.

I didn't see if the OP had mentioned if he tested the built in wireless card. If not I would see what it does. I personally get great performance out of my built in Brodcom. I do notice that if I am downloading a large file the wireless stops working after about a half hour or so. I have to disconnect and reconnect to get it to work again. That might be related but I doubt it. This happens on both Wireless cards.

I have tried manually setting the rate with no success.