Wireless Connection Setup

G-Stress

A friend of mine brought an interesting thought to mind tonight. He has 2 wireless router's, using one as a switch to extend the wireless and wired throughout the home. What he's wondering as well as myself, is there a way to tell a windows based pc to connect to the stronger AP automatically? To my understanding it will not connect to the stronger AP unless it looses connection with the existing AP.

Windows automatically will connect to the strongest one. I think it has to do maybe with the setup?

College campus for example has many access points all over for coverage. You laptop in Windows may only see 1 SSID broadcasting, but there are probably 30 or so APs close by it can see.

I knew windows will connect to strongest AP and I know exactly what your talking about around colleges/universities, but I thought windows will only do so if it looses connection with it's current connection?

Nope, when you walk around a campus with WiFi enabled it will hop to the strongest one when you are walking around and appear seamless.

That is why I would think it has to be the way you have it set up. Not really sure if it's a mesh WiFi you need or what.

The NIC should automatically hop to the nearest connection and since TCP/IP is used in most scenarios, dropped packets shouldn't be an issues since they will get resent/sequenced. UDP connections, yes, you would see things time out or drop, but thats expected. This is also why wifi attacks are so prevalent though, since most people won't notice the difference if another AP is standing in for them(unless of course you use WPA2 or Radius, where specific authentication is required). If this were open wifi, you wouldn't know you were on a different AP unless you were checking the MAC address of the gateway, and even then, someone could be spoofing. Kind of what the Pineapple is all about...