Is It Possible To Sniff Aol Passwords Entered Through Aol Desktop

Jon Birch

Is it possible the sniff passwords used to sign into aol desktop, i can sniff the password through ssl strip when its entered into aol.com but when i enter it into aol desktop, i can't see any packets pop up anywhere cain,sslstrip,wireshark. is there something I'm missing I've googled around to no avail any ideas would be great thanks.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible the sniff passwords used to sign into aol desktop, i can sniff the password through ssl strip when its entered into aol.com but when i enter it into aol desktop, i can't see any packets pop up anywhere cain,sslstrip,wireshark. is there something I'm missing I've googled around to no avail any ideas would be great thanks.

AOL desktop uses a proxy called "top speed". If you kill the topspeed service AOL will revert to regular data. I noticed a while back on a customers system that AOL top speed was filtering Google. AOL use to use top speed as an accelerator for there dial up users but now I think its just a proxy to filter out sites that AOL does not want you to visit. You can delete the service and AOL desktop actually runs faster.

Note: I am not an AOL noob, lol. I only know about this stuff because I have customers that still use it.