Pineapple Died After /etc/config/wireless Tweaking

ptrac3

I thin i'm going mad.. I've tried to tweak the pineapple to increase the wireless range that seems too slow for me.. I've edited /etc/config/wireless and changed "option htmode HT20" to "option htmode HT40+".. Ok that now wireless isn't working but now either ethernet seems not working at all..I get no pings from 172.16.42.1 on Linux and also Windows machines..Have i to trash the pineapple? :( I need your help..

I thin i'm going mad.. I've tried to tweak the pineapple to increase the wireless range that seems too slow for me.. I've edited /etc/config/wireless and changed "option htmode HT20" to "option htmode HT40+".. Ok that now wireless isn't working but now either ethernet seems not working at all..I get no pings from 172.16.42.1 on Linux and also Windows machines..Have i to trash the pineapple? :( I need your help..

Have you tried the reset button (press for 8-10 secs)? Worst case, get you one of these: http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-710/Developer-Kit-for-Hornet-dsh-UB/Detail.bok to reflash.

Have you tried the reset button (press for 8-10 secs)? Worst case, get you one of these: http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-710/Developer-Kit-for-Hornet-dsh-UB/Detail.bok to reflash.

I've tried with reset button several times but it didn't work..The strange think it's that i've tried a Nmap port scanning to 172.16.42.1 and the host seems alive..Infact while doing the scan i see the led flashing but however the host is not avaible on ports like 22 or 80 so i don't know how to comunicate with it..I think it's a bug , it can't be possible that messing around with wireless settings it's going to kill the pineapple at all..:(

I've tried with reset button several times but it didn't work..The strange think it's that i've tried a Nmap port scanning to 172.16.42.1 and the host seems alive..Infact while doing the scan i see the led flashing but however the host is not avaible on ports like 22 or 80 so i don't know how to comunicate with it..I think it's a bug , it can't be possible that messing around with wireless settings it's going to kill the pineapple at all..:(

What firmware version were you on?

Nope, i've also tried with http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe, but thanks to Murphy's law it didn't work..I've tried with both reset button and WPS button, just to be sure enough to have tried everything possible..

Sounds like you're going to need to get one of these http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-710/Developer-Kit-for-Hornet-dsh-UB/Detail.bok and reflash it.

Sounds like you're going to need to get one of these http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-710/Developer-Kit-for-Hornet-dsh-UB/Detail.bok and reflash it.

Yes i would like to, but life for non US hardware modders isn't easy..The shippings costs more than the object itself..Not feasibile for me..:( In a non too distant future, if i'll get the money i'll buy again a wifi pineapple (trying to not brick it again) cause now i don't think it's suitable for the Return Policy (even though a died pineapple after wireless config tweak sounds me like a huge bug or misbeheaviour)..For now i'll keep the hope alive..i believe in you guys..:D

Yes i would like to, but life for non US hardware modders isn't easy..The shippings costs more than the object itself..Not feasibile for me..:( In a non too distant future, if i'll get the money i'll buy again a wifi pineapple (trying to not brick it again) cause now i don't think it's suitable for the Return Policy (even though a died pineapple after wireless config tweak sounds me like a huge bug or misbeheaviour)..For now i'll keep the hope alive..i believe in you guys..:D

Serial cables are available in almost any country. I am sure there is a website which sells the right serial cable based in your country.

You can contact the hakshop though, but I am unsure if they will exchange it.

About the "bug", it isn't a bug. There is a reason why you can't edit the configs over the config.php UI site anymore. People end up with bricks.

The configuration in the wireless is the "best" configuration and generated automatically by openwrt. Changing something may cause errors.

Not much I can do about it, except for implement things like the reset button.

When you hold the reset button for 8s, does it reboot?

If not then you definately have a brick. If it does then I am quite unsure of what is going on without seeing it. Report back if it reboots or not.

Best,

Sebkinne

Serial cables are available in almost any country. I am sure there is a website which sells the right serial cable based in your country.

You can contact the hakshop though, but I am unsure if they will exchange it.

About the "bug", it isn't a bug. There is a reason why you can't edit the configs over the config.php UI site anymore. People end up with bricks.

The configuration in the wireless is the "best" configuration and generated automatically by openwrt. Changing something may cause errors.

Not much I can do about it, except for implement things like the reset button.

When you hold the reset button for 8s, does it reboot?

If not then you definately have a brick. If it does then I am quite unsure of what is going on without seeing it. Report back if it reboots or not.

Best,

Sebkinne

I've tried several times to hold the reset button for 8s and with no success..Only after reading your post i get the reboot! So i'd like to thank you a lot! :D Now pineapple works like a charm except for those wireless range problems, but that's another topic..:) Thx Sebkinne for your help

I've tried several times to hold the reset button for 8s and with no success..Only after reading your post i get the reboot! So i'd like to thank you a lot! :D Now pineapple works like a charm except for those wireless range problems, but that's another topic..:) Thx Sebkinne for your help

;) Happens. Timing needs to be quite accurate, maybe I should increase it to 6-10s.

Wireless range depends on a lot of things. I myself am not having problems with the range, but I do recall reading that the power of the mk4 is less than that of the mk3 transmission wise. I am not 100% sure though.

Best,

Sebkinne

;) Happens. Timing needs to be quite accurate, maybe I should increase it to 6-10s.

Wireless range depends on a lot of things. I myself am not having problems with the range, but I do recall reading that the power of the mk4 is less than that of the mk3 transmission wise. I am not 100% sure though.

Best,

Sebkinne

The MKIV should be set to 18dbm , the fact is that switching to other channel (like 6) performance seems to increase..and sometimes seems to be no difference running the pineapple with or withouth an antenna..

The MKIV should be set to 18dbm , the fact is that switching to other channel (like 6) performance seems to increase..and sometimes seems to be no difference running the pineapple with or withouth an antenna..

I have read it over and over again that channel 11 causes a few problems.

I will change the channel to 6 for the next release.

Best,

Sebkinne

I have read it over and over again that channel 11 causes a few problems.

I will change the channel to 6 for the next release.

Best,

Sebkinne

For me ther's no problem in changing channel from 11 to 6 but even when is set to channel 6 i lose the signal of the pineapple after about 4/5 meters..Changed the antenna, reflashed firmware but still didn't understand where's the fault(if it's hardware or software fault)..

For me ther's no problem in changing channel from 11 to 6 but even when is set to channel 6 i lose the signal of the pineapple after about 4/5 meters..Changed the antenna, reflashed firmware but still didn't understand where's the fault(if it's hardware or software fault)..

I have the same problem. My mark3 has great signal strength. My Mark4 is terrible.

(even though a died pineapple after wireless config tweak sounds me like a huge bug or misbeheaviour)

The quick start guide warns against changing network settings for a reason. In any case you should be able to find the correct serial adapter for cheap in your country and then you can flash it. If you cannot find one they are fairly simple to make.

EDIT: Glad to see you got it working again. As for the signal issue, have you done a site survey (use Kismet or Inssider) to check for other APs that could be drowning out your signal?

Edited by redhook

The quick start guide warns against changing network settings for a reason. In any case you should be able to find the correct serial adapter for cheap in your country and then you can flash it. If you cannot find one they are fairly simple to make.

EDIT: Glad to see you got it working again. As for the signal issue, have you done a site survey (use Kismet or Inssider) to check for other APs that could be drowning out your signal?

Yep i know, my fault :) Regarding to the serial adapter i'm not a hardware expert i'm more software and coding oriented.. I can buy the original Alfa Hornet flashing kit or i have to find a step to step guide on the type of serial adapter i have to buy/made for flashing this Alfa board.. Regarding to the wireless range strange things are happening..Modules like Site Survey does not work on my pineapple but i think it's a signal issue not module's fault..With airodump-ng mon.wlan0 i cannot see anything but i know that on channel mon.wlan0 is configured (e.g channel 11) there are a lot of Ap's but none is about to be catched. I think i can exclude the overlapping of other Ap's because i've tried almost every channel and also in different places..I've tried my pineapple in a place in wich just 1 or 2 AP's and tried also to change channel but with the same results..I don't know what to think but now i'm starting to assume it's a hardware issue..