Hacking Or Tech Movies/documentaries?

NegativeSpace

I'm trying to find any documentary type movies which have Hacking and/or Information Technology as their subject matters. I've already seen Revolution OS, which I liked pretty well. I, so far, haven't been able to find any others that seem to have specific subject matter that is not related to facebook and similar money machine websites/services. The main goal is to learn about the most important software, community groups, ideas, people, etc. If you know of any movies, good or bad, with this kind of subject matter I would like to know about them so I can check them out!

Here's a link to the website for the documentary "Revolution OS". If you haven't seen it, I recommend giving it a look. It's about the creation of the Linux Kernel and the GNU community. Revolution OS

I'm not trying to be negative, but most of those were pretty terrible IMHO... it's just something about hacking and hollywood that hasn't traditionally interacted too well or something. Freedom Downtime is an exception (btw I think you meant 2600's Freedom Downtime, produced by Emmanuel Goldstein / Eric Corely). That film really requires you to see "Take Down" aka "Track Down" first and I do recommend it, even tho it portray's Kevin The Man Mitnick in a bad light and has a zillion problems with it.

Asides from those, let's not forget

The Matrix I-III

The Millennium Series, good/original version I-III (Men Who Hate Women / The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo)

The American version of The Millennium Series

and my personal favorite, Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Also, you could count that FB movie about Zuckerberg, but he was never really a hacker.

.... and you did mention War Games already... right?

Jason Scott's BBS Documentary is a must see. Get Lamp is great too, but its more about text based video games and how they progressed to todays games, more games than IT security/hacking stuff but worth seeing.

Also, came across this: http://hackvids.apostolidis.net/ haven't gone though it yet though.

Edited by digip

I am huge itno movies so I'm up for watching any movie that is good but I'm hoping to find more documentaries than hollywood entertainment. I can't find Hackers Wanted, Hackers Freedom Downtime, BBS The Documentary, or Hackers Are People Too on Netflix, which really sucks! I've seen all of the Hollywood ones except for Sneakers and Track Down, though the Steig Larsson ones aren't really products of hollywood I guess. I have Trackdown at the top of my Netflix DVD Q, but Snekares doesn't look that interesting, even though it does have Robert redford, so it's closer to the "someday" end of my Q.

I guess I will have to just search the internet to find a place to watch the documentaries I haven't seen yet. If that doesn't work I'll have to buy them on DVD/BluRay.

That hackvids site will help a lot. Hopefully most or all of the links are still working.

I am huge itno movies so I'm up for watching any movie that is good but I'm hoping to find more documentaries than hollywood entertainment. I can't find Hackers Wanted, Hackers Freedom Downtime, BBS The Documentary, or Hackers Are People Too on Netflix, which really sucks! I've seen all of the Hollywood ones except for Sneakers and Track Down, though the Steig Larsson ones aren't really products of hollywood I guess. I have Trackdown at the top of my Netflix DVD Q, but Snekares doesn't look that interesting, even though it does have Robert redford, so it's closer to the "someday" end of my Q.

I guess I will have to just search the internet to find a place to watch the documentaries I haven't seen yet. If that doesn't work I'll have to buy them on DVD/BluRay.

That hackvids site will help a lot. Hopefully most or all of the links are still working.

Yeah, I had to torrent them my friend. I don't know if you have heard, but there is a new Hacker movie

Edited by Infiltrator

Yeah, I had to torrent them my friend. I don't know if you have heard, but there is a new Hacker movie

I haven't heard of any new hacker movie! Is it called "Hacker"? The only hacking related movie I've been able to find by Google that's coming out soon is something called Reboot. That the one?

I haven't heard of any new hacker movie! Is it called "Hacker"? The only hacking related movie I've been able to find by Google that's coming out soon is something called Reboot. That the one?

Yeah that's the one!

There was a sequel to WarGames, but I don't recommend watching it. Not good, at all.

HAHA! I had no idea there was sequel to War Games. I bet it's pretty stupid. War Games didn't have the kind of story that begs for one.

It's not called Hackers Freedom Downtime (I tried to correct the OP on that, hehe), it's called Freedom Downtime and you can get it from the producer, Eric (Emmanuel Goldstein) who is also the editor of 2600 and a talk show host. But the sad truth is you really need to see Take Down before you see Freedom Downtime to understand the context.

http://www.freedomdowntime.com

It can also be found to download for free of course, but if you do that get the 2004 not the 2003 version. The 2003 was a leak and the movie changed a lot, including adding a seminal Mitnick interview.

Edited by whitehat

It's not called Hackers Freedom Downtime (I tried to correct the OP on that, hehe), it's called Freedom Downtime and you can get it from the producer, Eric (Emmanuel Goldstein) who is also the editor of 2600 and a talk show host. But the sad truth is you really need to see Take Down before you see Freedom Downtime to understand the context.

http://www.freedomdowntime.com

It can also be found to download for free of course, but if you do that get the 2004 not the 2003 version. The 2003 was a leak and the movie changed a lot, including adding a seminal Mitnick interview.

It looks pretty good, exactly what I'm looking for but damn, 30 dollars for the DVD and I don't think that includes shipping. I loved Kevin Mitnicks latest book "Ghost in the Wires" but it would be nice to get another persons point of view, as most of the book is an autobiography. I do like supporting the good content makers but I don't know if I want to pay over 30 dollars for a movie that might not be very good so maybe I'll watch it first (don't know where though) and then buy it if I like it. If I should see Take Down before Freedom Downtime it might be a while because I don't know where to go to see Take Down, since Netflix doesn't have it and I don't do torrents.

Edited by NegativeSpace

Jason Scott's BBS Documentary is a must see.

This is what I came in here to post.

Especially if you're an old Sysop like me, you will absolutely LOVE the BBS Documentary if you haven't yet seen it! It's an 8 part series (iirc), and I smiled through the entire thing.

Even if you're not old enough to remember BBS's or have been a part of it all, it's still going to be fascinating for you to watch.

I just got Track Down in the mail! I'm still having trouble finding most of the other ones though for watching and not buying on dvd. I'm happy to buy the dvds after I've seen the movies if they are any good but I can't find anywhere to watch most of these suggestions.

Here's one that I always like to throw into the mix.

I found this one to be an awesome and quirky indie type hacker based film made right here in Australia.

Seriously, spend some time and give this one a look.

It comes across at a little amateurish, but honestly one of the better "fictional" movies I've seen on hacking scenarios.

here's the link...

http://www.insecuritymovie.com/

This is what I came in here to post.

Especially if you're an old Sysop like me, you will absolutely LOVE the BBS Documentary if you haven't yet seen it! It's an 8 part series (iirc), and I smiled through the entire thing.

Even if you're not old enough to remember BBS's or have been a part of it all, it's still going to be fascinating for you to watch.

lol I used to have a BBS I still have the original Wildcat BBS discs & box, but switched to a WWiV system because the ANSi graphics looked more awesome and it was open source. I will have to check that movie out.. thanks

btw; I even made a BBS system which uses telnet instead of dail-up using synchronet which was pretty cool imo, so they are still around.. still working on my ANSi graphic skills lol

You can get most from NetFlix if you wanna do things above board.

Most, if not all, of the mainstream fictional story type ones are available on netflix but I have seen pretty much all of those I think. I'm more into the documentaries, which seem to be the hardest kind to find unfortunately. I loved Track Down, even though it wasn't that close to the actual true story. It was a good mix between reality and Hollywood.

lol I used to have a BBS I still have the original Wildcat BBS discs & box, but switched to a WWiV system because the ANSi graphics looked more awesome and it was open source. I will have to check that movie out.. thanks

btw; I even made a BBS system which uses telnet instead of dail-up using synchronet which was pretty cool imo, so they are still around.. still working on my ANSi graphic skills lol

I've not heardof most of these, ummm, systems/standards/protocols. What were these used for exactly, and When did these go out of favor? The first comparable thing (if I understand the first thing about what BBS is) ever really used was USENET. I never really had a use for it, as I was pretty young, and the format didn't really appeal to me. This thread was the first time I had ever heard of BBS and a little reading has made me curious so now I definitely have to see the movie.

Is BBS still in use, or has it been made obsolete? I understand that it differed from USENET in the fact that it had administrators and central servers? Seems like it would still be favored by certain people for those reasons, at least over USENET newgroups if not more widely adopted internet forums and such.

Here's one that I always like to throw into the mix.

I found this one to be an awesome and quirky indie type hacker based film made right here in Australia.

Seriously, spend some time and give this one a look.

It comes across at a little amateurish, but honestly one of the better "fictional" movies I've seen on hacking scenarios.

here's the link...

http://www.insecuritymovie.com/

Haven't heard of this one before. I think I'll be glad to see one that made a serious attempt at being technically accurate. Seems like a very cool story too, and wow, the Google Video link works! I haven't been to a video.google webpage in like a year! Good suggestion!