Karma And Wireless Range Problems

ptrac3

Hi everybody, i'm having strange problems in the last days with Karma and wireless range..I don't know if i've fried my pineapple, but I once noticed that the base was warmer than usual and then i've powered it off..I don't know if something bad happened but i think that Karma isn't working like it should. Infact the wireless range seems decreased considerably (i'm testing pineapple at home) and i've to be very near to the pineapple to make Karma intercepts the probe requests..Also i've made a test: i've started airodump-ng capturing all the packets and probes, then from the opposite side of my home i've tried to connect to a non existent network. After that i've checked airodump output and i saw that the probe request was logged so in theory has to be intercpeted by Jasager and Karma..Why it doesn't work? And also: is it possible that the misterious overheating messed up something? Thank you guys for any feed back ..

Thanks , i will post some photos of the circuit if you think is useful..However i'm not an electronic expert but i didn't see any burned circuit and bulged capacitors..What are the maximum distance in meters for a working Karma mode (in a normal enviroment like a house with door, walls..)for you? So i can check if ther's really something wrong or if i'm becoming paranoid :D

I've also tested the speed of the internet connection shared via pineapple that is 7 Mbit and then the internet connection from a wirelessly connected client to the pineapple and the result is less than 1 Mbit..Moreover those ping results from pineapple to my client (actually an iphone in a 1 meter range from pineapple) :

PING 172.16.42.190 (172.16.42.190): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 172.16.42.190: seq=0 ttl=64 time=152.732 ms
64 bytes from 172.16.42.190: seq=1 ttl=64 time=75.882 ms
64 bytes from 172.16.42.190: seq=2 ttl=64 time=97.384 ms
64 bytes from 172.16.42.190: seq=3 ttl=64 time=19.005 ms

Is there something i can do? Unfortunately i live in Italy so though there is really something wrong with the pineapple the Hak5 Shop or warranty it's not feasible just for duties and extra shipping charger i'll have to pay..so any feedback is welcome! thanks again :)

I've also tested the speed of the internet connection shared via pineapple that is 7 Mbit and then the internet connection from a wirelessly connected client to the pineapple and the result is less than 1 Mbit..Moreover those ping results from pineapple to my client (actually an iphone in a 1 meter range from pineapple) :

PING 172.16.42.190 (172.16.42.190): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 172.16.42.190: seq=0 ttl=64 time=152.732 ms
64 bytes from 172.16.42.190: seq=1 ttl=64 time=75.882 ms
64 bytes from 172.16.42.190: seq=2 ttl=64 time=97.384 ms
64 bytes from 172.16.42.190: seq=3 ttl=64 time=19.005 ms

Is there something i can do? Unfortunately i live in Italy so though there is really something wrong with the pineapple the Hak5 Shop or warranty it's not feasible just for duties and extra shipping charger i'll have to pay..so any feedback is welcome! thanks again :)

ptrac3 have you attempted to reflash the newest upgrade.bin?

then with fresh settings see what you get.

ptrac3 have you attempted to reflash the newest upgrade.bin?

then with fresh settings see what you get.

Yes i'm at version 1.1.1...I will reflash again and check the results

Ok guys thanks again for your feedback, i really need it! : ) I've changed the default 11 channel to 6 and now pineapple seems to work a lot better..Before changing the channel devices at 10 metres from pineapple couldn't connect to it and now i'm receiving a ping around 2 ms that's good..Is it normal such a high preformance gaining just switching the channel? Regarding to this topic i think it's useful to share range related issues and wifi perfomances as well, such as ping results, power of the signal and so on

Ok guys thanks again for your feedback, i really need it! : ) I've changed the default 11 channel to 6 and now pineapple seems to work a lot better..Before changing the channel devices at 10 metres from pineapple couldn't connect to it and now i'm receiving a ping around 2 ms that's good..Is it normal such a high preformance gaining just switching the channel? Regarding to this topic i think it's useful to share range related issues and wifi perfomances as well, such as ping results, power of the signal and so on

After reading you post I decided to test my pineapple iv and I have the very same results, changing to channel 6 more than doubled the range of the wifi signal.

could this be because of tx power been just 18 dbm ?

Edited by kevambert

wow that's great, you should put a report on the github/submit an issue https://github.com/sebkinne/wifipineapple/issues?sort=created&direction=desc&state=open

I wonder if interference from another wifi or other device was causing some of the problems?

wow that's great, you should put a report on the github/submit an issue https://github.com/sebkinne/wifipineapple/issues?sort=created&direction=desc&state=open

I wonder if interference from another wifi or other device was causing some of the problems?

Haha you beat me to it! To really test this as scientifically as possible, we'll need an area with no competing signals, as the results will be largely confounded by other wifi access points broadcasting on the same frequency.

telot

I would check that before making a bug report.. There are some channels that overlap slightly. Look them up and make sure you don't have neighbors on close or the same channels.

Haha you beat me to it! To really test this as scientifically as possible, we'll need an area with no competing signals, as the results will be largely confounded by other wifi access points broadcasting on the same frequency.

telot

just a few years ago almost all AP's I saw/used were on channel 6 and now I notices in my area it's channel 11 that is the most crowded. I now use channel 6 because it's the least used, weird

also I hate it when people set there ap to one of those in between channels, dam overlapping lol

and Mr-Protocol yes it would be a good idea to do that before:-) good thinking

Edited by petertfm

Hi there, i' m doing some tests in a clean enviroment with less interferences but what i get is bad too .. On channel 11 i lost the signal when i'm about 4/5 meters distant from pineapple i lose the signal conpletly eitheir vis an iphone or a netbook..Same thing happens switching to channel 6, maybe a few meters gain..:( Soon i'll write to hak5 support if ther's something i can do..

Posted · Hidden by durk182, April 9, 2012 - sp msitakse
Hidden by durk182, April 9, 2012 - sp msitakse

Hi there, i' m doing some tests in a clean enviroment with less interferences but what i get is bad too .. On channel 11 i lost the signal when i'm about 4/5 meters distant from pineapple i lose the signal conpletly eitheir vis an iphone or a netbook..Same thing happens switching to channel 6, maybe a few meters gain..:( Soon i'll write to hak5 support if ther's something i can do..

I am seeing the same thing. My pineapple was on Channel 11. I lost the signal walking to the another side of the room (20 feet). My Mark3's range is head and shoulders above the mark4. There was a thread about the TX power of the Mark3(27db) versus Mark4(18db).

telot

Today i've tested in an area with no signal interfences so no channel overlapping but with same results..On channel 11 i loose signal from a distance to 5-6 , instead on channel 6 i double the meters..I don't know if this problem it's hardware related or depending on firmware..

Hi,

I've the same problem. But can I change the card to channel 6 by using: iwconfig wlan0 channel 6. Or does it need to be mon.wlan0?

Usually i change the channel editing file /etc/config/wireless. I'm "happy" other people have the same issue..i feel not alone! :D

I'm doing some tests about wireless range and i've noticed that the wireless range with or withouth an antenna is pretty much the same... Is it possible for you that the overheat damaged something? (like internal pigtail)

I'm doing some tests about wireless range and i've noticed that the wireless range with or withouth an antenna is pretty much the same... Is it possible for you that the overheat damaged something? (like internal pigtail)

You should always have an antenna attached when transmitting, transmitting without an antenna attached can damage the radio.

You should always have an antenna attached when transmitting, transmitting without an antenna attached can damage the radio.

Never heard of that problem..Can you explain me better or post some links on such problem? Thanks

Guys i've solved my problem!!!! :) I'm so happy! :D Here's what you can do if you're experiencing my same problems and if you, like me, live outside the US and it's difficult to return the pineapple for an exchange..However, investigating the problem i supposed that IPX RP-SMA cable was messed up (but i don't know how) and so i've decide to buy a new one like this http://www.ebay.it/itm/Cavo-Cavetto-Adattatore-Pigtail-UFL-U-FL-IPX-RP-SMA-Antenna-WiFi-Router-Wireless-/220948509258?pt=Cavi_Prolunghe_Convertitori&hash=item33718eb24a#ht_2307wt_1163. I've opened the pineapple , carefully removed the glue and then the pigtail cable itself..It's simple to remove and insert , is interlocking. I'm a hardware newbie so you can do this operation too..Now the wifi range of Pineapple just doubled, it seems to work flawlessy..:)I hope with this post to help people that are in my same situation..

Guys i've solved my problem!!!! :) I'm so happy! :D Here's what you can do if you're experiencing my same problems and if you, like me, live outside the US and it's difficult to return the pineapple for an exchange..However, investigating the problem i supposed that IPX RP-SMA cable was messed up (but i don't know how) and so i've decide to buy a new one like this http://www.ebay.it/itm/Cavo-Cavetto-Adattatore-Pigtail-UFL-U-FL-IPX-RP-SMA-Antenna-WiFi-Router-Wireless-/220948509258?pt=Cavi_Prolunghe_Convertitori&hash=item33718eb24a#ht_2307wt_1163. I've opened the pineapple , carefully removed the glue and then the pigtail cable itself..It's simple to remove and insert , is interlocking. I'm a hardware newbie so you can do this operation too..Now the wifi range of Pineapple just doubled, it seems to work flawlessy..:)I hope with this post to help people that are in my same situation..

Can you tell me how you opened the case up? I'll check to see if that is my problem too.

You may want to also try "re-seating" the original antenna to make sure it was plugged in all the way. Good find though.

I thought about mentioning that, but didn't really want to advertise cracking the pineapple open. When I did mine, the antenna whip wasn't even on the glue. It was a crappy glue job and I just didn't care to fix it. :P