Water Cooling Using A Toilet

buffy

An interesting project....

Edited by Infiltrator

• 1 month later...

Kinda cool. If your resovor (toilet) is getting to warm, just flush and you get new cold water. I have had the idea to run pipe inside my freezer and then water cool my three servers in the next room. Just throw some antifreeze in the pipe and off you go.

VERY interesting project. I think it's awesome, talk about a major DIY'r. Though I don't like the open board, I'd make some type of plexiglass cover or something, so it was still visible but protected a bit more. Other than that I love it! I may even try and do something like this myself just for fun.... =p Thanks again Hak5 Forums for another cool idea.

Interesting idea, but probably not viable over the long run due to it being an open system. Yes, you can get fresh water just by flushing, and instantly cool everything down; but having it open like that can introduce solid matter (ie, the stuff growing in the toilet in the picture there) and possibly clog it. Did a fun one in college with my minifridge; I figured I was running the fridge anyway, why not get a little more use out of it?

I saw somewhere a while back a guy built a radiator out of some(teens of feet) copper pipe laying on the concrete floor of his garage. Used the concrete as a big ass heat sink. I've thought about wrapping flexible copper pipe around the water pipe coming in off the street into my house. I live with two girls, so the water is running more than it's not...

• 3 weeks later...

I have always thought about water cooling, never actually done it but I thought about using an old fridge rad (the meshed pipework on the rear) that i always thought would be super .....

Water cooling when done right works pretty well. My old G5 was water cooled from the factory. Ran 24/7 for years, it was my media server. It finally started leaking very slightly at the pump. Apple actually put an absorbent pad under the whole assemble, so the small drip this one had didn't get the power supply wet. It gets too hot and shuts itself down now. I looked into getting a replacement part from Apple, but it's waaaaaaaay out of warranty, and isn't supported anymore, so the parts that are still available are stupid expensive. Last time I looked they want $1500 for the replacement part. I may get around to just fixing it myself with non-apple parts.