Mk4 Orientation

I got my MK4 recently and am trying to learn how to use it without annoying everyone with a billion questions. I have somewhat constrained time due to school and it seems like the documentation is (forgive me for saying this) a little bit fragmented. Of course, it's a community-style project, most users are more advanced than myself, and I might be missing something.

So could you help me get oriented? I've read the quickstart guide and clicked on all the tabs/options in the web interface to do a little exploring. I wonder if there is some guide that explains each of the features in the web interface, like what happens when I click autostart? What exactly is Karma and where can I find documentation? It's a little confusing because terms like Karma and autostart aren't easily Google-able if you don't know exactly what you're looking for (Karma is a dictionary word and autostart brings up tons of stuff).

Is there a good guide you can point me to, or perhaps an episode? I know the ep's are online and I have the WiFi CD collection, but the pineapple related ones I've found were just broad strokes descriptions (like the one with Darren sitting outside describing it) and I only have a few minutes per day that I can spend looking for info :/

Anyway that's in advance!

- DarkApple

PS I have been reading the battery thread and was wondering if the idea here is that you can avoid needing a laptop by using batteries + user programmed scripts activated by that one button to make it automatically record data for analysis later? Otherwise, I don't see how you could really use it disretely. Right now I am using it via an ultrabook w/ Linux and it attracts a lot of attention in public because I have to use 2 power outlets (the PoE isn't powering it for me and one outlet is for the ultrabook), plus a ethernet-to-USB converter, plus a USB port splitter so I can have the Linux flash drive + network adapter plugged in as well. That sums up to 2 external antennas, 2 power cords, tons of cables and lotsa little blinky lights that seem to scream "hey, this person is up to something odd!" LOL

Edited by DarkApple

What helped me get a good understanding was reading the tutorials Darren wrote. Start off with the one about flashing the pineapple, flash it, and get a good understanding of each step along the way. Then move on to the Rickrolling tutorial and get a good understanding of that. Then setup ICS. Then move on to the phishing tutorial (I mean do all of this manually). I'm far from an expert myself, but once I was able to do all of these things without reading the tutorials (ie set them up fast) it started to let me understand how it works, then you'll be able to start to customize your attacks when you combine it with your knowledge of metasploit or if you script.

Check this link under Usage

https://github.com/sebkinne/wifipineapple/wiki/Quick-Start-Guide

Also I'd suggest watching the older episodes that cover the pineapple, regardless of the version, to get a grasp on what is going on.

Thanks, Mr. Protocol. This is the guide I was using yesterday when you helped me.

The usage section was helpful, but a bit too broad because I still find myself not really knowing how to use the features. Like you say though, I probably just need to identify the correct episodes (or maybe find some third party materials?). I was hoping for something analogous to the "walk through" style guides for BT5 (http://www.backtrack-linux.org/tutorials/) but again thanks for your help!

Hello Dark Apple,

Have look at a couple of these videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/Security4Plus/videos

This guy made some great to start with Videos and read all the posts in this forum then you will understand.

and read the Jasager guides here : https://github.com/sebkinne/wifipineapple/wiki

Start with the "Jasager Classic Guides" to get you started

Rgds,

webdirector

Knowing what karma is, is something quite essential.

It is the Jasager feature on the pineapple.

Karma autostart starts it on boot.

You are right there though, maybe I should rename that.

Best,

Sebkinne

lol that was awfully confusing for me when I first started as well...jasager is the whole package of "saying yes" to wifi probe requests. It does this using a tool called Karma developed by Robin Wood (digininja)

telot

Thank you all for your help (!). That makes sense and I'm going to review the videos and more of the information after school today. I went through the flash guide (from Mark II) earlier and I think it should be straightforward to carry out in Linux, but I'm not failing to notice a linux version of the guide am I?

Keep in mind. Mark IV is a different flashing procedure from all other versions.

Is it? Thanks for letting me know. I only saw the flash guide for Mark II and someone had mentioned I should read it. Fortunately I don't think I need to flash at the moment. I just walked in the door; I'm about to start following up on the suggestions in this thread right now.

Is it? Thanks for letting me know. I only saw the flash guide for Mark II and someone had mentioned I should read it. Fortunately I don't think I need to flash at the moment. I just walked in the door; I'm about to start following up on the suggestions in this thread right now.

DarkApple,

Please please please read the wiki.

The MK4 is very different to the other devices.

The MarkI and MarkII, forget about those. Mostly anyway.

The MarkIII UI wise and function wise is very much like the MKIV, but the MKIV is much more advanced now.

The wiki has some nice guides. Also about flashing.

If you have any questions, go ahead and ask. But make sure you read up on things before.

Rickrolling, phishing, 3g and more is already on the wiki + forums for the MKIV.

Best,

Sebkinne

DarkApple,

Please please please read the wiki.

The MK4 is very different to the other devices.

The MarkI and MarkII, forget about those. Mostly anyway.

The MarkIII UI wise and function wise is very much like the MKIV, but the MKIV is much more advanced now.

The wiki has some nice guides. Also about flashing.

If you have any questions, go ahead and ask. But make sure you read up on things before.

Rickrolling, phishing, 3g and more is already on the wiki + forums for the MKIV.

Best,

Sebkinne

Thanks Seb. I was just asking /what/ to read in the Wiki since time is constrained and it's so fragmented (please please please improve it). Someone in this forum suggested the older flash guide, which is why I referred to it.

Edited by DarkApple

Thanks Seb. I was just asking /what/ to read in the Wiki since time is constrained and it's so fragmented (please please please improve it). Someone in this forum suggested the older flash guide, which is why I referred to it.

I understand.

We are still growing content wise, so stay tuned ;)

But still, forget about the older flashing guides. I would hate to see you brick your device!

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh earlier, I have just seen people brick their devices..

Best.

Sebkinne