Connecting To The Pineapple For The First Time In Linux

I am having some difficulty following the quick start guide....I will follow the guidelines for requesting help:

Pineapple Hardware Version (ex: Mark III, Mark IV, etc.): Mark IV... anything else is a stone-age paperweight ;) JK!

Pineapple Software Version (ex: Shmoocon Beta, 1.0, etc.): Hmmmm. Would be whatever shipped with this first batch of Mark IV's. I'm not sure how to check and I would find out, but I just booted another OS to get registered with the forum and write this message.

OS used to connect to the pineapple: BackTrack 5 R2

Network layout of how your setup is connected (including IP information): I was connecting with the default options generated by the code in the quick start, using a mobile broadband device for WiFi (MiFi) on wlan0, and an official Shannon and Darren approved Alfa network adapter.

All the tools/options that are running on the pineapple when the issue happened: None

Ping results from computer to pineapple: 100% packet loss

Is the problem repeatable (Yes/No): Yes

Steps taken which created the problem: 1. Loaded BT5 live 2. Got online 3. Executed the code in the quick start guide 4. Could not load the page in FireFox that tries to load at the end; tried to ping the device but could not.

Error Messages: FireFox's "can't connect" message and the 100% packet loss in ping.

Anything else that was attempted to 'fix' the problem: Nothing really. I see a lot of people telling other people to "flash" the device, but I don't know how to do that yet, so if that's my next step could you link me to a tutorial (or if that's a pain I'll find it, don't worry).

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I don't know if this could cause some conflict but http://192.168.1.1 is the default address of the MiFi (mobile broadband).

Also, I was connected to the Pineapple via the included expandable ethernet cable --> may I ask which port I was supposed to be using? There was LAN/WAN and LAN/PoE. I tried both, but during most of the attempts I was connected to the LAN/PoE port.

The WAN, LAN, and Power lights were on.

To just get a basic connection to the pineapple without any ICS, just plug in the ethernet cable from the PoE port to your computer.

Set your network card as follows

• IP: 172.16.42.42
  • Subnet: 255.255.255.0
  • Gateway: (Leave blank)

Then navigate to http://172.16.42.1/pineapple

You should also be able to SSH to 172.16.42.1 as well as ping it.

To just get a basic connection to the pineapple without any ICS, just plug in the ethernet cable from the PoE port to your computer.

Set your network card as follows

• IP: 172.16.42.42
  • Subnet: 255.255.255.0
  • Gateway: (Leave blank)

Then navigate to http://172.16.42.1/pineapple

You should also be able to SSH to 172.16.42.1 as well as ping it.

Actually you're ethernet adapter can be set to receive an ip automatically, at least with the newer firmware.

your pineapple won't be able to get internet, so no module downloads.

Thank you both. I'm going to switch back over to linux now and let you know how it goes.

Btw peterfm -- I like your avatar. What's that like on the end of your Yagi, a gun scope/laser?

It is:-S lol

def just for effect, the yagi is not that pin point. Has red and green mil dot;-)

OK, so, I guess I probably should have asked how to set it up like that without the help of wp4.sh. Let's see what I can do though.

I started off by loading BT5, plugging in my MiFi and Pineapple, assigned wlan0 as the wireless interface in WiCD so that I could get online, and ran ifconfig. Here are the results of that step:

~# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr [omitted for "privacy"]  
          inet addr:172.16.42.162  Bcast:172.16.42.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe60::432c:fcff:fe00:da7a/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:29 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:21 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:2252 (2.2 KB)  TX bytes:2198 (2.1 KB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:103 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:103 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:11017 (11.0 KB)  TX bytes:11017 (11.0 KB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr [omitted] 
          inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::2c0:caff:fe42:4ec2/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:3075 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2753 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:3776875 (3.7 MB)  TX bytes:401072 (401.0 KB)

Interesting.. OK so, I went to grab the wp4.sh script again so that I could open it in nano and see what commands are used to setup the device in the way you prescribed. However, when I ran this script again

wget wifipineapple.com/wp4.sh; chmod +x wp4.sh; ./wp4.sh; firefox http://172.16.42.1/pineapple & 

instead of hitting enter and accepting the default gateway, I pressed space then enter to see if that would leave it blank like you were describing (could you explain the intuition behind this, per chance?). Well that worked! :)

Now it opens a working link in Firefox and asks for login credentials... the quickstart guide doesn't tell me what to put here... I guess it should be obvious? It's not Pineapple/Pineapple...

Thanks again

The reason for leaving the gateway blank is to avoid say another connection you have for the internet "wlan0" from not finding it on your local subnet with wlan0, to trying to go out to the gateway and not find it.

This better explains it:

In organizational systems a gateway is a node that routes the traffic from a workstation to another network segment. The default gateway commonly connects the internal networks and the outside network (Internet). In such a situation, the gateway node could also act as a proxy server and a firewall. The gateway is also associated with both a router, which uses headers and forwarding tables to determine where packets are sent, and a switch, which provides the actual path for the packet in and out of the gateway.

In other words, a default gateway provides an entry point and an exit point in a network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_gateway

Someone mentioned MiFi --> is it possible to use that instead of a USB modem? If so, how?

Isn't MiFi just Verizon Wireless' cellular/3G/4G USB modem?

It would all come down to drivers being available I believe. I don't have much experience with 3G/4G type data services due to the lack of having them.

Personally, I can't justify getting a "smart" phone when 90% of the places I go have internet access. That's why I got an iPod touch :D.

Isn't MiFi just Verizon Wireless' cellular/3G/4G USB modem?

It would all come down to drivers being available I believe. I don't have much experience with 3G/4G type data services due to the lack of having them.

Personally, I can't justify getting a "smart" phone when 90% of the places I go have internet access. That's why I got an iPod touch :D.

Yea I know what you mean, I said the exact same thing (iPod touch v. iPhone) for years until I finally gave in. But no, the MiFi is what they call their mobile WiFi. So it's 3G/4G technology but once the data is received it's broadcasted as WiFi. There's no USB connection except for upgrading software.

However I went out and got the Virgin Mobile MC760 bc it's supported out of the box (or technically, I found an old one and just bought some data for it). The software doesn't run on my copy of OS X Mountain Lion but I'm not sure if that matters? How do you normally use it with the Pineapple?

Yea I know what you mean, I said the exact same thing (iPod touch v. iPhone) for years until I finally gave in. But no, the MiFi is what they call their mobile WiFi. So it's 3G/4G technology but once the data is received it's broadcasted as WiFi. There's no USB connection except for upgrading software.

However I went out and got the Virgin Mobile MC760 bc it's supported out of the box (or technically, I found an old one and just bought some data for it). The software doesn't run on my copy of OS X Mountain Lion but I'm not sure if that matters? How do you normally use it with the Pineapple?

Oh, so basically it's a 3G/4G puck that makes an access point wherever you go?

I would still say connect a laptop to it and tether the pineapple to a laptop via cable. The reasoning is, the radio in the pineapple if setup to both connect and host an AP would have to switch back and forth which would be slow, unstable, and not even sure it's possible. If the MiFi has a LAN port, for devices without wifi, then you would have to edit the network configuration on the pineapple for it's gateway to the IP address of the MiFi.

Hopefully this make sense.

Oh, so basically it's a 3G/4G puck that makes an access point wherever you go?

Yes, precisely. A puck is a good analogy. No LAN port, unfortunately. Here it is is 3D: http://www.verizonwireless.com/verizon-wireless-4g-lte-mobile-hotspot-mifi-4510l.shtml

I would still say connect a laptop to it and tether the pineapple to a laptop via cable.

I really want to avoid this. The reason I want to avoid it is so that I can leave the pineapple at the pen test client's business (in this case a restaurant) without having to be there or to look really suspicious with my laptop connected to this strange device with its antenna and blinking blue lights. Also, if I do have to have a laptop anyway, then it's probably more discreet (and easier, due to the PoE not working for me) to use an Alfa + Wireshark... but I wanted to play with this new toy and see what it can do that couldn't be done without it.

However, what you're saying here does concern me greatly:

the radio in the pineapple if setup to both connect and host an AP would have to switch back and forth which would be slow, unstable, and not even sure it's possible

Oh, no! So, what's all the talk about these 3G devices and why are they supported out of the box according to the Wiki? I'm so confused. I thought this was kinda the central idea behind the pineapple -- it's got the WPS button and unlike an Alfa adapter it can (I thought) operate autonomously to capture packets. Oy vey.

2 of the 3 3G modems that are said to be supported out of the box are the same model as mine (MC-760)...surely someone has been experimenting with it? I mentioned this in another thread, but I also social engineered a login from the place that I'm pen testing (don't worry, the owner is my son and my name is on the business license of this place). It's WPA2 with a username & pw login. I think either Senor Protocol or PeterFM told me that it's unfortunately not possible to make the Pineapple connect to a WiFi AP like that (right)? I guess it would have the same problem.

So no one has ever got this thing to run without a laptop? If it's possible to give it a try, even if it's slow, I'd love to try it. I've got the MK4, supported 3G modem with data, and a compatible fully charged battery and I'm within 10 minutes of the restaurant that's my target. If anyone has any ideas how to try it just let me know what to do and I'll tell you the results. Feel free to consider yourself at the controls of a remote desktop session with my brain LOL :)

Edited by whitehat

P.S. I changed the SSID through the web interface and now I don't see any pineapple-related SSID show up at all. That's perfectly fine by me, but I wonder what's going on? Did I change some other setting without realizing it? Sorry to be such a klutz. My speciality is pretty far different from this (statical algorithms and such) so I'm just trying to Forrest Gump my way through my fantasy job as a part time pen tester.

It's kind of like being an amateur magician and this is the magic shop / club :)

The USB 3G modems work like a USB WiFi card for a laptop. It is directly connected to the pineapple and when that happens the pineapple will have 2 radios. One for it's WiFi access point and the other (USB) 3G network connection.

How did you change the SSID? In the network config file or the text box on the page?

The USB 3G modems work like a USB WiFi card for a laptop. It is directly connected to the pineapple and when that happens the pineapple will have 2 radios. One for it's WiFi access point and the other (USB) 3G network connection.

How did you change the SSID? In the network config file or the text box on the page?

Oh, I see. So it will have 2 radios then and thus it won't be slow? I think earlier I was asking about how to make this 3G USB modem work but I asked in a confusing way and you (or someone) gave me an answer saying that it would be really slow or impossible because there would only be one radio being using ro access an AP and to act as an AP for victims clients. But so, theoretically, I should be able to plug in my VirginMobileUSA/Novatel MC760 in the Pineapple USB port and it should know to use that as its Internet connection and everything should be groovy?

I changed the SSID using the text box on the web interface (Configurations tab).

Oh, I see. So it will have 2 radios then and thus it won't be slow? I think earlier I was asking about how to make this 3G USB modem work but I asked in a confusing way and you (or someone) gave me an answer saying that it would be really slow or impossible because there would only be one radio being using ro access an AP and to act as an AP for victims clients. But so, theoretically, I should be able to plug in my VirginMobileUSA/Novatel MC760 in the Pineapple USB port and it should know to use that as its Internet connection and everything should be groovy?

I changed the SSID using the text box on the web interface (Configurations tab).

If it can be used as such. So if a standard use of that is to plug it into your computer via USB then yes it should work if it is supported by default. Also, you may need to check on software to see if it needs some special software you have to login to first in order to use it.

If it can be used as such. So if a standard use of that is to plug it into your computer via USB then yes it should work if it is supported by default. Also, you may need to check on software to see if it needs some special software you have to login to first in order to use it.

You do need special software to run it on a computer and that software is built onto the device itself in .exe and .dmg forms (no Linux). I was hoping that this software was not needed with the Pineapple because they don't support linux according to their website yet it is listed here: https://github.com/sebkinne/wifipineapple/wiki/3G-Modem

Mark IV 3G Modem

Page History

3G Dongles supported out of the box

ZTE MF591 (T-Mobile)

Novatel MC760 (Virgin)

Novatel MC760 (Ting)

According to Darren...

You do need special software to run it on a computer and that software is built onto the device itself in .exe and .dmg forms (no Linux). I was hoping that this software was not needed with the Pineapple because they don't support linux according to their website yet it is listed here: https://github.com/sebkinne/wifipineapple/wiki/3G-Modem

Any luck getting this to work? I have the same 3G modem. I'm thinking we just need to modify a script or conf file somewhere to plug in our account info, once we have that info entered it should work via the pineapple. Let me know if you have any luck.

Any luck getting this to work? I have the same 3G modem. I'm thinking we just need to modify a script or conf file somewhere to plug in our account info, once we have that info entered it should work via the pineapple. Let me know if you have any luck.

I will let you know for sure. I've been working on this (the Pineapple in general) for the better part of 4 days at the expense of my real job, so I am ready for this darn thing to start working. I have been working on another aspect most of today though, which I am about to post a thread about. However, after posting that thread and eating some food I will be back to working on the MC760.

I'm very glad someone else online right now has this as well. The Wiki implied (strongly) that these were tested and working out of the box, so hopefully it should work. Right now my pineapple's SSID isn't showing up although Karma is running, which means that I'm not even 100% sure how to test if it's working (well I have an idea but it still involves the cat 5 cable being plugged in, which could give a false). On that note if anyone has any idea about my mysteriously invisible SSID please let me know.

Anyway, hopefully Darren, Seb, DigiNinja or whoever tested the 2 MC760's will come on the forums and lend us a hand.

Hi, im running into the same problem as darkapple and even display same ifconfig as he has depicted.

Don't understand how he left default gateway blank by hit space then enter.

is this after runnig ./wp4.sh

then when the question of input internet gateway --> put space and enter??

lol ive tried that and running spce enter for each input, all defalts are entered.

and i keep getting a network setup without a ping, 100% packet loss, and thus unable to

login into firefox link.

i know the problem has been dealt with before, but i still cant seem to get in.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanx..

can connect via wifi and ether cable in ubuntu,

simply connecting isnt a problem however establishing the ISC is

as i fire up bt5 in vbox, i can connect to wifi, but cannot ping the pineapple,

apologies just started fiddling with computers and am kinda new to linux.