Windows 7 And Linux Mint Pineapple Mk4 Problems

Hello,

I seem to be having trouble connecting to my pineapple on my Win7 laptop. There see to be two problems.

1. Then I plug in the cat5 cord to the pineapple and then my laptop, the network connections manager shows "Identifying" for a very long period of time, then eventually shows being connected to "Unknown Network", with an IP address of 172.16.42.228 and a gateway of 172.16.42.1. I tried to go to the web interface to no avail. I also changed the IP to the 172.16.42.42 that is supposed to be there, with the same result.

2. When I go to share the wireless connection with my LAN, it gives me the following error: "Internet Connection Sharing Cannot be Enabled. A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing." I've looked up the error but no solutions online have worked for me yet.

My current setup is the pineapple mk4, with a wired connection to my laptop, and then my laptop connected to my personal access point. I'm out of ideas, has anyone else had these problems or do you have any ideas on how to solve them?

I should add the firmware on the pineapple is whatever the Mk4 shipped with as I cannot actually connect to the pineapple to be able to see for myself.

Sidenote: I also tried this on Linux Mint with the auto config file, but I have little to no idea what Ip addresses and whatnot should be entered when it prompts me. The Mint connection manager also shows no connection to anything on the wired side. I'd much rather do this on Linux, but neither seem to work.

Sorry for the noob-ism, I know more about networking than I appear to, I'm just out of ideas for solving these issues.

Edited by crthomas24

I'm no expert with the pineapple but I might be able to help some. I haven't tried my pineapple on Windows yet, only Ubuntu and BT5. The network port on the pineapple you should be using to connect the pineapple to your PC is the PoE Lan port. I think my port has a bad solder joint because I sometimes have to wiggle the cable to get it to work. Check those two things.

As far as the Mint, the way it should work is you should connect to your WiFi first. Then connect the pineapple via the lan cable. Run the script accepting all of the default values with the exception of the internet gateway. This should be set to the same gateway the Mint is using. Which would be the address of your access point.

When I first put the pineapple on BT5 the network interface was down so I had run "ifconfig interface eth0 up"

I'm no expert with the pineapple but I might be able to help some. I haven't tried my pineapple on Windows yet, only Ubuntu and BT5. The network port on the pineapple you should be using to connect the pineapple to your PC is the PoE Lan port. I think my port has a bad solder joint because I sometimes have to wiggle the cable to get it to work. Check those two things.

As far as the Mint, the way it should work is you should connect to your WiFi first. Then connect the pineapple via the lan cable. Run the script accepting all of the default values with the exception of the internet gateway. This should be set to the same gateway the Mint is using. Which would be the address of your access point.

When I first put the pineapple on BT5 the network interface was down so I had run "ifconfig interface eth0 up"

Ah, I might have accidentally disabled the eth0 on Mint, I'll try that.

And to reply to the above, I was trying to connect to 172.16.42.1/pineapple

Well maybe you got a defective unit. There is another thread on here pertaining to a person receiving a not working device. When you look at the available wireless networks do you see "pineapple"?

Yes indeed I do. I actually got it to connect/work on windows, right now I'm trying to ssh via the Mint terminal, to no avail. I think it's a compatibility issue with the Mint drivers and the NIC I have. I'd say it's mostly solved, but I'd still like to find a way to configure the USB drive with windows.

Yes indeed I do. I actually got it to connect/work on windows, right now I'm trying to ssh via the Mint terminal, to no avail. I think it's a compatibility issue with the Mint drivers and the NIC I have. I'd say it's mostly solved, but I'd still like to find a way to configure the USB drive with windows.

Do it from the pineapple. Start up ICS in windows, then ssh into it, then do the following;

opkg update
opkg install fdisk

Then follow Darren's how-to.

Crap, forgot Darren used the disk manager in Ubuntu...

This is a 2Gb thumb drive, adjust as necessary.

root@Pineapple:~# fdisk /dev/sda

Command (m for help): o
Building a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x2433bdaf.
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
After that, of course, the previous content won't be recoverable.

Command (m for help): n
Command action
   e   extended
   p   primary partition (1-4)
p
Partition number (1-4): 1
First cylinder (1-1017, default 1): 
Using default value 1
Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (1-1017, default 1017): +1024M

Command (m for help): n
Command action
   e   extended
   p   primary partition (1-4)
p
Partition number (1-4): 2
First cylinder (522-1017, default 522): 
Using default value 522
Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (522-1017, default 1017): 
Using default value 1017

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
Syncing disks.

This gives a 1Gb primary partition, with the rest being the second. Format the first ext4, do a mkswap on the second.

Edited by barry99705

So what I'm actually looking to do is put all the files I have for phishing and things of the sort on a thumb drive. Is this the correct way to go about it? The wiki is a bit unclear as to how and where things are mountedand how they are linked.

So what I'm actually looking to do is put all the files I have for phishing and things of the sort on a thumb drive. Is this the correct way to go about it? The wiki is a bit unclear as to how and where things are mountedand how they are linked.

Yep. Once you format it ext4.